Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my upgraded Enduro with 6.5" and my Heckler with nearly 6" of travel - you know, 'just riding around' stuff. I don't freeride, I don't race anymore... I just ride. And I'm thinking 7" of travel is the new 4" of travel from 2001. "all mountain" used to be something like a Kona Dawg or something - 5" in front and 4" in back. But I'm so used to 5.7 and 6.5" of travel now I'm wishing I had a lighter duty 7" (a full 178mm) travel Nomad. Regular headtube (the 1.5 is ok though I guess), a little lighter... 2.35" tires, 7" rotors... But I can't think of a bike that offers it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
gticlay said:
I've been riding my upgraded Enduro with 6.5" and my Heckler with nearly 6" of travel - you know, 'just riding around' stuff. I don't freeride, I don't race anymore... I just ride. And I'm thinking 7" of travel is the new 4" of travel from 2001. "all mountain" used to be something like a Kona Dawg or something - 5" in front and 4" in back. But I'm so used to 5.7 and 6.5" of travel now I'm wishing I had a lighter duty 7" (a full 178mm) travel Nomad. Regular headtube (the 1.5 is ok though I guess), a little lighter... 2.35" tires, 7" rotors... But I can't think of a bike that offers it.
Sounds like you just need an excuse to buy another bike?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haha....I'm in the same boat, just another excuse to buy another bike! Even though I love my 01 Bullit I'm looking for something that has a little more, something updated!

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Build a light VP free. I know a fella thats got one built up under 31#'s. Kowa 160ss fork and manitou air shock with uber light wheels. 7" front and 8' rear. Perfect all mountian ride.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TNC said:
Or put an 8.75 X 2.75 shock on a Nomad to get 7.1-7.2 inches of travel. Some have even come from SC with this length shock, so it's quite doable.
So I can request that shock to come with it? I've been thinking of selling both bikes and going that route anyway.

·
abnormally aspirated
545 Posts
TNC said:
Or put an 8.75 X 2.75 shock on a Nomad to get 7.1-7.2 inches of travel. Some have even come from SC with this length shock, so it's quite doable.
tell me more about this. is there a thread about this? there doesn't seem to be a good single one or i'm retarded with the search..... well moreso than usual anyway.

EDIT: lol - one of top threads... nevermind.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
TNC said:
I agree!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts

gticlay said:
So I can request that shock to come with it? I've been thinking of selling both bikes and going that route anyway.
Several people on this forum had the 8.75 X 2.75 shipped on their Nomad with this size shock. I think most were DHX coils. Also I remember some having the old Progressive Gravity air shock in this size also. I'm thinking the Heatheratthebakers(?) had her new multicolored Nomad ordered with the longer shock too if I remember correctly. We haven't done this through our shop, but maybe some running this size shock can comment. This was covered in great detail last year. Initially I thought the lower link would be compressed too far at the rubber bottomout bumper down there, but it was clear that this didn't turn out to be a problem. Yes, the 8.5 X 2.5 is the recommended "normal" size, but the longer shock has been shown to fit. Most people running the longer shock were usually running 170-180mm forks for a better match rather than shorter 160mm or less forks.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Butcher the nomad?

Adding longer stroke shocks to a bike does more than add travel. It steepens head angles, raises bottom brackets (especially if adding longer forks at same time), and runs the risk of metal on metal or, a little better, rubber on metal.
A buddy of mine has a Vp Free with the 8.5x2.5 shock on it. drops travel down to about 7.7 and brings the bottom bracked down to where I think it should be but the bike creaks like nuts and he has done everything to get it silent. It would drive me bonkers to own one of those frames.

Look into the Canfield One. I rode one and it was very impressive. Had a stout build at 32 lbs, seen them under 30 on these forums. Adjustable travel between 7 and 8 inches. Pedal really well and really open up on the descent. These bikes definitely deserve a look. Fantastic quality and the Canfield Bro's are really good to their current and prospective custoemrs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm leaning more towards the Bullit, just becasue I am used to mine and I wouldn't think there is a ton of difference in the ride........stiffer and more travel than my 01 but thats a good thing!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
aenema said:
Adding longer stroke shocks to a bike does more than add travel. It steepens head angles, raises bottom brackets (especially if adding longer forks at same time), and runs the risk of metal on metal or, a little better, rubber on metal.
A buddy of mine has a Vp Free with the 8.5x2.5 shock on it. drops travel down to about 7.7 and brings the bottom bracked down to where I think it should be but the bike creaks like nuts and he has done everything to get it silent. It would drive me bonkers to own one of those frames.

Look into the Canfield One. I rode one and it was very impressive. Had a stout build at 32 lbs, seen them under 30 on these forums. Adjustable travel between 7 and 8 inches. Pedal really well and really open up on the descent. These bikes definitely deserve a look. Fantastic quality and the Canfield Bro's are really good to their current and prospective custoemrs.
It only steepens the head angle if you do not put a longer shock on (as a previous poster mentioned).

The more I think about it, the more I think I should stick with my current setup. How much better could 1/2" of travel make my already enjoyable ride(s) be?

Interestingly, when I put a longer shock on my Enduro, it didn't really raise the BB height. That is because there's a 'high bb' and a 'low bb' shock mount on the bike. If you put a longer shock on, with the low bb mount, you end up with the high bb at top out (which I was already at) and at bottom out you end up where the bike would have bottomed anyway on the low bb with the stock shock. Not all bikes are like that though. The Heckler BB is high enough already!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
gticlay said:
It only steepens the head angle if you do not put a longer shock on (as a previous poster mentioned).

The more I think about it, the more I think I should stick with my current setup. How much better could 1/2" of travel make my already enjoyable ride(s) be?

Interestingly, when I put a longer shock on my Enduro, it didn't really raise the BB height. That is because there's a 'high bb' and a 'low bb' shock mount on the bike. If you put a longer shock on, with the low bb mount, you end up with the high bb at top out (which I was already at) and at bottom out you end up where the bike would have bottomed anyway on the low bb with the stock shock. Not all bikes are like that though. The Heckler BB is high enough already!
Exactly, you will always raise the bottom bracket with a longer shock, you could just account for it with your Enduro. Adding a longer fork will get your geometry back but that raises the bb even more. In my opinion, proper geometry is far more important than adding an inch of travel. I prefer a bike as low as possible without smacking pedals unnecessarily also so I am a bit biased against what you are considering. So much nicer in the corners.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Generalization

aenema said:
Exactly, you will always raise the bottom bracket with a longer shock, you could just account for it with your Enduro. Adding a longer fork will get your geometry back but that raises the bb even more. In my opinion, proper geometry is far more important than adding an inch of travel. I prefer a bike as low as possible without smacking pedals unnecessarily also so I am a bit biased against what you are considering. So much nicer in the corners.
Your statement is generally correct, but the Nomad is already a relatively low bike. Take into consideration the long wheelbase and long 17.5" chainstays, and you don't really end up with an odd bike if you go the 8.75" route...unless you use a ridiculously short fork.

Now...I put an 8.75 X 2.75 DHX coil on my '03 Bullit once, matched with an '02 7" Monster T. The Bullit's already tall BB design was freakin' towering when it was in that configuration. You have to look at each bike individually.

·
Knolliac
417 Posts
Knolly Delerium T

An absolutely awesome frame, I almost bought one myself, but went went with the new Nomad instead. The DT "only" has 6.3" of travel and weighs well over 10lbs for a large frame with DHX air shock. I believe it is possible to use an 8.75 x 2.75 shock on this frame too yielding near 7" of travel, but doing this with a coil shock will likely push the frame weight well over 11lbs. BTW, Noel is a great guy. I emailed him a bunch of questions and the next day he called me personally to talk. That type of CS is rare but in the end I did not want the extra frame weight for my trail bike.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have both a delerium t and a vpfree and can tell you there is no comparison. I dave the dt set up as a do it all trailbike and it weighs in at 37lbs. After riding it for a few months I took the free out for a night of shuttling and after that I may sell it. With a 66 on the dt it decends better than the free and isn't even in the same world when it comes to pedalling. My 37 lb dt pedals and climbs better than my 32lb heckler ever did. I was in love with the push tuned free...until I rode the delerium. Only drawback to Knolly in my mind is the cost which may not be in everyone's budget. The weigth is not an issue once you get it on the trail.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.