Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright. Time to open the 55 gallon drum of ridicule, but here it goes.

I am in my first year of racing. Currently in the sport class and have had some top ten finishes. I ride alot of road miles during the week (conditioning rides to/from work), and MTB when I can.

I am riding an Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert. I have upgraded the wheels to a very nice race worthy set. So now the dilemma, do I upgrade the bike? I like the bike, but I don't see many racers using one. Will I see a noticable improvement in my racing ability with a different ride? If so, what would be a good choice without adding a second mortgage?

Thanks...

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Why do you feel the need to upgrade the frame? Just because you don't see too many others or is there another reason? If you're finishing in the top 10 you're doing pretty well with that bike as is.
Otherwise, just start saving for a new one and move the wheels over to that frame when you've saved enough. No point in dumping a bike you like.

Werner

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Sport class is for fun

sircrashalot said:
Allright. Time to open the 55 gallon drum of ridicule, but here it goes.

I am in my first year of racing. Currently in the sport class and have had some top ten finishes. I ride alot of road miles during the week (conditioning rides to/from work), and MTB when I can.

I am riding an Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert. I have upgraded the wheels to a very nice race worthy set. So now the dilemma, do I upgrade the bike? I like the bike, but I don't see many racers using one. Will I see a noticable improvement in my racing ability with a different ride? If so, what would be a good choice without adding a second mortgage?

Thanks...
It depends on what your racing goals are.

The Hollowpoint is a great tail bike, very efficient pedaling with no pedal kickback for having 4.5 inches of travel. But for competitive racing conditions its too heavy for the advanced XC classes. It is used for Pro/Expert Duel-Slalom and Mountain-Cross using a 5th Element coil shock.

However, you could wait until you are always near the top of the intermediate level Sport class on the Hollowpoint to get a lighter race purpose XC frame that could be competitive above the Sport class of racers. Work on your strength, handling skills, and race strategy to get to the top of Sport on the Hollowpoint. The bike is not holding you back much in the Sport class.

- ray

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

derby said:
It depends on what your racing goals are.

The Hollowpoint is a great tail bike, very efficient pedaling with no pedal kickback for having 4.5 inches of travel. But for competitive racing conditions its too heavy for the advanced XC classes. It is used for Pro/Expert Duel-Slalom and Mountain-Cross using a 5th Element coil shock.

However, you could wait until you are always near the top of the intermediate level Sport class on the Hollowpoint to get a lighter race purpose XC frame that could be competitive above the Sport class of racers. Work on your strength, handling skills, and race strategy to get to the top of Sport on the Hollowpoint. The bike is not holding you back much in the Sport class.

- ray
That sounds like smart advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.