Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But now that i am on the SS I seem to be always prereleasing. And, yep I did put on new cleats. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am thinking that I am using more body language somehow on the SS and the beaters aren't the best for the job.

I am thinking ATACs, any comments?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
It's probably your own riding style. You're moving you're feet around too much. ATACs might be better because they lock you in, but they reason the eggbeaters aren't working is rider error. Try flipping the cleats left/right for a greater release angle.

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,182 Posts
alpka said:
But now that i am on the SS I seem to be always prereleasing. And, yep I did put on new cleats. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am thinking that I am using more body language somehow on the SS and the beaters aren't the best for the job.

I am thinking ATACs, any comments?
I binned eggbeaters because of the same problem..... they simply became to soft to hold my feet in.

Funnily enough candy's have been just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem and ditched them, I will only use them on very muddy days if we ever have them here in AZ again. I found (think) that becuase I do a lot more pulling up I pull right out of them even on my geared bike just not as much. they work great on my road bike the very few times I ride it.

·
Jon BALER
196 Posts
I ride eggbeaters on my road and mountain bikes (SL an C models). I ride fixed and single speed on both without any major issues (except durability). I weigh in 215 lbs and ride pretty hard.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
I started on egg beaters and after 3 years finally switched to the old Time ATAC composits. The retension spring in the Egg beaters just wore and became too loose. I rebuilt the bearings several times and even had Crank Bros replace a spindle and a cage, but the springs were never replaced and needed to be.

I just decided to try Times since a lot of my friends raved about them. I've had them for about 8 months now and love them. I like that a underside rock hit, doesn't disengage the cleat since the cage isn't engineered the same as the Egg beater.

I bought a used pair of pedals off Ebay and they seem brand new tension wise. They are a bit harder to clip into than the Egg Beaters but hold me in better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
you probably just need new cleats. they release more easily as they wear down. crank bros sell a version of the cleats that are more durable but i forget what they're called.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
JDZ said:
you probably just need new cleats. they release more easily as they wear down. crank bros sell a version of the cleats that are more durable but i forget what they're called.
He clearly said he already tried new cleats.

alpka said:
And, yep I did put on new cleats.
I'm voting for the springs becoming worn. Possibly riding style, but I have a harder time believing that.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have two pair of eggbeaters. Both eggbeater c's. The first set I've had for about 7 months now of good hard riding without one single problem, including prerelease or any loosening of the spring. They seem just right and I've never had a problem.

The second set I got was MUCH looser from the very first day and while I still ride them I have had a couple of times where they've accidentally let go. It hasn't been a big enough issue to worry about. I ride singlespeed and definitely climb out of the saddle a lot really crankin on them and they seem fine most of the time.

I guess its just like with anything else. If you don't like them just switch. There will be people that swear about one pedal or another being better than the other guy. Just ride whatever feels good. Eggbeaters may not be it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Same here. Could just be rider error but I run Crankbrothers on all my bikes and 2ti eggbeaters on my SS. I weigh 190lbs and ride pretty hard and have never had a problem even with out of the saddle pushes. Not sure of anyone else, but i run the cleats with the two (2) dots on the right shoe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
crankin

The upgraded cleats are called premium cleats, from crankbrothers. You can get them on the bay for cheap. They last much longer than the regular brass ones. I too have egg beaters and candy's on my mtn. bikes. I like them just fine. I have candy c's and candy sl's, egg beaters, as well as the quattro ti's on my road bike. Never had a problem of early release, and never had a spring get too easy on a pedal.??? I have been riding crank brothers for 7 years maybe?

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Chewieez said:
I'm voting for the springs becoming worn. Possibly riding style, but I have a harder time believing that.
Can the springs wear out on these things???

I must say, I had a similar experience recently. Lots of feet flying all over the place on a SS ride, then rode my geared bike next time, forgot to install new cleats, with no problem at all. The time pedals are way heavier and I don't think function quite as well as the egg-beaters, but then again, my 10 year old Carbon ATAC's are still going strong on my wife's bike.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Pedal design and/or spring tension are not what keeps your foot from twisting out at the wrong time. Your form is the problem. Trying to solve it by switching to pedal that does not allow your foot to follow through on the twisting motion that the rest of your body is creating will only cause injury.

If you are pulling straight up and out of the pedal, bouncing out on rough terrain or getting popped out on pedal strikes, another pedal might be the answer.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Yeah, there's definitely something going on here. Today I did 3 hours on my SS. I had my cleat pop out of the pedal 3-4 times on climbs... but only on climbs. Am I a sloppy climber with body english all over the place? Is the pedal or cleat worn out? I don't remember having this much trouble in years past. Could my poor fitness right now be a factor?

Was a good excuse to walk up some tough climbs.... sort of.... I could have gotten most of them. Grrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride Crank Brothers Candy's and have the same issue. Come to find out it was not the cleats or spring tension but that the pedal had worn a groove on each side of my cleat in the sole of my shoes, and thus allowing much greater movement, which in turn was causing premature evacuation. Check your shoes!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.