Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing all these threads and messages about possible design and or performance issues has pretty much decided me to try a different company when its time. I've been riding Yeti Only since about 2004 I believe and I'm current on the Big Top as my only bike(which I really enjoy still).
What really has me stumped though are all these numbers and letters. SB100 this Sb300 , throw in a c for something else....Whatever happened to cool names like the Yeti Bling 575??? I generally leave the forum more confused than enlightened. That may have something to do with my old age but something they may want to take into consideration. Ride on guys!

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Well, I'm new to Yeti, with an SB100, and I love it, and felt all of the branding, model info, etc, was pretty clear. And I'm 55, so not a youngster...

I was, and am, unfazed by all the negative posts. I consider all the info, but in the end, make the best informed decision for me. I'm happy, thus far.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I've been following since 2010 or so, and they went from ASR5 (AS-R5, ASR-5, ASR 5c, etc.), 575, and ASR7, to ARC, Big Top, SB-66a and SB-95a/SB-95c, to ASR, SB45c, SB5, SB55, & SB6, and finally now to SB100/130/140/150/160...

Missing names for the DJ, DH bike, and others, I'm sure, but seems to be kinda consistent. The hyphens and spaces appear and reappear, shifting around based on what the media and consumers used. They used to add C to the model name to denote carbon. Once they added a cheaper carbon frame, they called the lower end one "Enduro". Now they distinguish the top tier carbon as "Turq".

Marketing... meh. I just get annoyed by stupidity in general, but I wouldn't consider this stupidity. I guess they just needed a naming scheme to differentiate from older generation designs.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If by “problem” you mean: sell a ****-ton of bikes and have an (absurdly) loyal following, then yes: they’re a total failure.

I actually skipped buying an SB bc of the early release issues....and they seem to have poor customer service interaction skills...

But, whether it’s the tribe thingy or bc SI is a fantastic suspension platform, people keep buying ‘Em...in droves.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Did not expect your complaint to be about using numbers to indicate travel...especially since you prefer the 575 which was so named after its 5.75" of travel. As an American, I naturally revert to the imperial system but as an engineer I understand the convenience and embrace the metric system (you can too!).

FYI: All of yeti's models now start with an SB and end with their travel in mm. Lower number, more for up. Higher number more for down. Easy!

As for a marketing problem...no. For better or worse, fanboys and haters alike agree that Yeti makes premium bikes at premium prices. AFAIK, thats what they're going for.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did not expect your complaint to be about using numbers to indicate travel...especially since you prefer the 575 which was so named after its 5.75" of travel. As an American, I naturally revert to the imperial system but as an engineer I understand the convenience and embrace the metric system (you can too!).

FYI: All of yeti's models now start with an SB and end with their travel in mm. Lower number, more for up. Higher number more for down. Easy!

As for a marketing problem...no. For better or worse, fanboys and haters alike agree that Yeti makes premium bikes at premium prices. AFAIK, thats what they're going for.
Maybe I should have had some coffee before starting my search for a new bike. Im not trying to bash, just trying to understand so thank you! Like I said, Im a yeti rider since 2004ish, love the company, hate the naming.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Seems pretty easy to me, what is the point of this post. SB130 has 130 travel, SB100 has ......100, Sb150 has .......150.

Did we really need to start a thread about the naming of bikes.

I thought this was going to be a rant about the the Race vs Rip thingy marketing.

If you are so confused do yourself a favor, www.yeticycles.com and read over each bike. pretty sure after 30 mins of actual research you will have figured out how the naming works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.