Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Well, also there is the ease of maintenance, not having to worry about scratches, and you have a good base to paint it any color you want or polish it up...

Yeah, seeing as how I can get the front and back triangle painted for 225, and only guessing the fraction of this cost DT would actually pay, he must make a killing off raw frame markup... great analysis brainiac!

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Cuz

Then this looks b!tchin' (and you won't scratch your PC/paint, and the ano won't get those sweet wear areas, and it's more aerodynamic, and my fat arse is so much faster without the few grams of pc...it's wicked).

Brock...

Attachments

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Turner bikes probably does make a bit more money on a raw bike than a painted bike and I'm happy to give it to them. They work damn hard for the little money they actually make. It's not like DT is getting rich or anything. The margin difference on a painted vs unpainted bike is likely a lot thinner than you think. I prefer to look at it like the price is X for any given bike and you can have it painted your choice of stock colors for no extra charge :)

·
tardcore
821 Posts
Funny I was going to comment that it's not standard, but it is on every "available" bike for 2010. I guess it's part of the conspiracy :crazy: All the corporate hording has me concerned, I mean do you think Dave is following the European model of only making 12x's that of the lowest paid employee? I guess that's not including bonuses but just think of the shear metrics of the extra dough he's making on the Raw finish, it's mind boggling. That extra $50 bucks per frame must have DT laughing all the way to the bank, that fat cat bastard, I'm outraged. The thought of a man making a living in a capitalist society has me outraged! WTF! Next thing he'll be selling selling Sultans to midgets, the nerve! WHat's next? The Flux as a DHR replacement?

Seriously, I love the raw but am far too impatient to wait so I gots what I gots but when I get bored I'm gonna strip her down and polish her up.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Oh, yes....

ignazjr said:
Turner bikes probably does make a bit more money on a raw bike than a painted bike and I'm happy to give it to them. They work damn hard for the little money they actually make. It's not like DT is getting rich or anything. The margin difference on a painted vs unpainted bike is likely a lot thinner than you think. I prefer to look at it like the price is X for any given bike and you can have it painted your choice of stock colors for no extra charge :)
Poor Dave! He should get a bell and a guitar and play on the side of the road. I'm sure he is the only one who works hard and doesn't get rich ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Turnerbike sells bikes! They make money!! Oh no, the make money!

I thought they made bikes for charity...

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
pjlama said:
Seriously, I love the raw but am far too impatient to wait so I gots what I gots but when I get bored I'm gonna strip her down and polish her up.
Save yourself some time/hassle and take the frame down to The Paint Shop when you're ready to have it stripped. They're down on Candelaria, just west of I-25.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If it is $50 savings.... that is ALL 100% profit which adds up. A extra 3% or 4% straight to the bottom line is huge in the business world...good for them. However.... a raw frame has to be scratch free.. the powdercoated ones can has a scratch or two because it is covered in the pc process...I never liked raw.. I think it looks unfinished.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
DT asked me not to post this but it's important you know. The raw frames are actually a bit different. They are made from pure platinum which Dave then hand paints himself with a very small brush made of pure bosnian badger pubic hair and silver paint to make them look "raw".

He then takes pictures of them for the website before carefully personally sanding them down by hand with a 1"x1" piece of wet and dry to achieve the true "raw" finish. Next every third frame is thrown into the nearby lake to make sure that absolutely no profit is made for himself or his major shareholder (the Bank of Shatner's Bassoon, based in the Cayman Islands, which holds $3.6bn of Turner stock).

Dave can then look you in the eye as an equal who feeds his family with pure love.

Welcome to the world of big business.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
STT GUY said:
If it is $50 savings.... that is ALL 100% profit which adds up. A extra 3% or 4% straight to the bottom line is huge in the business world....
So if he makes $50 per frame and sells 20 frames he could be a billionaire in a week!

Incidentally does that 3-4% include overhead recovery and depreciation and amortisation?

From your detailed analysis above it looks like cashflow is solid so if DT can get his marcap up and drive the p/e ratio he can be paying out the seven figure dividends like there's no tomorrow. I need to get me some Turner stock asafp!

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
juan_speeder said:
.. I should be making more money with my time machine than I am.
No, you're doing it just right. You shouldn't be making any actual profit, cos profit's bad, mmmkay? Nice work on the time machine though - what colour is it?

This could be my first ever time of three posts in a row - I'm kind of glad I'm back at work tomorrow and all my interweb time will be gone again....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.