Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden different Trek/GF models in the $2K-$3K range.

The lowly $1,900. '08 HiFi Deluxe still is the one that floats my boat.

It wasn't only the lightest, but it felt a lot lighter than the 2 or 3 pounds that separate it from the other bikes I tested (Fuel EX8/9's, HiFi Plus 29r, etc...).

The only other bike I'm really interested in now is a Roscoe I.

I thought about a slew of other bikes (Blur LT2, Mach 5, Tracer VP [which still is my #1 non-GF consideration]), but I'm really leaning towards a GF for both sentimental reasons and for reasonable considerations (warranty, dealer service, parts availability, etc...).

Money being no object in the up to $3,000. range, the cheapest of all the bikes I tried still wins me. It just puts the biggest smile on my face and gives me the most gusto. It's just so darn tossable.

It's either a Roscoe I that I'll build up later as I break parts and convert it into a Roscoe III (fork, shock, wheelset and brakes) + an XTR/XO drivetrain or I might get an Roscoe III (I just wish it came in Black or even Green).

If it's not a Roscoe, then it's definitely going to be the HiFi Deluxe.

To think that with a few hundred bucks I can swipe off close to 2 lbs from that bike.
I can have a quality near 25 lb. FS MTB for a way reasonable price.

And when I upgrade to an RI/RIII, I can send the HiFi to my home in Puerto Rico as a winter bike...

I just have to test a Roscoe.
I'm dieing to go and get the HiFi, but I won't make that decision without riding a Roscoe.
I imagine that it's a HiFi on steroids.

I'd still like to hear from a much more experience rider who's ridden both.

Any candidates?

·
*Contents Under Pressure
352 Posts
I have not ridden the hifi offroad (nor am i necessarily experienced) but would definitely suggest you ride the Roscoe. I demoed the Roscoe III and it was phenomenal. So phenomenal, in fact, that i have saved up my pennies and im planning on buying a Roscoe I in the next few weeks. I was originally considering a Fuel ex 8, but after riding the Roscoe I knew it was the bike for me. Suspension struck the balance between plush and responsive and the geometry was just right. Also, the Roscoe is burlier than the Fuel, and quite a bit burlier than the Hifi, yet the bottom of the line Roscoe is only 30 something pounds, only a pound and a half heavier than the Fuel 8. On top of all this, the black color is stunning, definitely the color to get.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hotfeat1227 said:
I have not ridden the hifi offroad (nor am i necessarily experienced) but would definitely suggest you ride the Roscoe. I demoed the Roscoe III and it was phenomenal. So phenomenal, in fact, that i have saved up my pennies and im planning on buying a Roscoe I in the next few weeks. I was originally considering a Fuel ex 8, but after riding the Roscoe I knew it was the bike for me. Suspension struck the balance between plush and responsive and the geometry was just right. Also, the Roscoe is burlier than the Fuel, and quite a bit burlier than the Hifi, yet the bottom of the line Roscoe is only 30 something pounds, only a pound and a half heavier than the Fuel 8. On top of all this, the black color is stunning, definitely the color to get.
I'll hopefully be able to demo one within the next couple of weeks.

I'm leaning towards the HiFi first, but if the R1 is better enough, I'll go with it.
Otherwise, I'll get the HF and get an R3 instead of an R1 when the time is right.

Pricewise, there's only a thousand dollar difference that separates a transitional bike for me from a "keeper". The "rides" will decide.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems how both of you test rode the ex8 & hifi 26ers, would you consider both to be plush? I have found 08 hifi pro 26er at good price, but have not seen the rave reviews as I did with ex8 for suspension. My lbs sold a ex8 I was interested in buying, but still have 08 hifi pro 26 at great price, or the hifi deluxe 29er (09) for msrp.. I think if I wanted to I could still locate 08 ex8, if I wanted to, but I want to stick with LBS.. I have read some of "2ndgen" threads, and my riding and size is very similar.... So hifi or ex8 in your opinion on better all around bike?

·
Registered
331 Posts
2ndgen said:
I've ridden different Trek/GF models in the $2K-$3K range.

The lowly $1,900. '08 HiFi Deluxe still is the one that floats my boat.

It wasn't only the lightest, but it felt a lot lighter than the 2 or 3 pounds that separate it from the other bikes I tested (Fuel EX8/9's, HiFi Plus 29r, etc...).

The only other bike I'm really interested in now is a Roscoe I.

I thought about a slew of other bikes (Blur LT2, Mach 5, Tracer VP [which still is my #1 non-GF consideration]), but I'm really leaning towards a GF for both sentimental reasons and for reasonable considerations (warranty, dealer service, parts availability, etc...).

Money being no object in the up to $3,000. range, the cheapest of all the bikes I tried still wins me. It just puts the biggest smile on my face and gives me the most gusto. It's just so darn tossable.

It's either a Roscoe I that I'll build up later as I break parts and convert it into a Roscoe III (fork, shock, wheelset and brakes) + an XTR/XO drivetrain or I might get an Roscoe III (I just wish it came in Black or even Green).

If it's not a Roscoe, then it's definitely going to be the HiFi Deluxe.

To think that with a few hundred bucks I can swipe off close to 2 lbs from that bike.
I can have a quality near 25 lb. FS MTB for a way reasonable price.

And when I upgrade to an RI/RIII, I can send the HiFi to my home in Puerto Rico as a winter bike...

I just have to test a Roscoe.
I'm dieing to go and get the HiFi, but I won't make that decision without riding a Roscoe.
I imagine that it's a HiFi on steroids.

I'd still like to hear from a much more experience rider who's ridden both.

Any candidates?
2ndgen I too have narrowed it down to the Blur LT2, Tracer VP, Mach 5, Roscoe (and Ibis Mojo) as my next ride. Have you ridden any of these bikes? How do they compare? For around $3K I can buy an LT2 or a Roscoe II and make some upgrades later, so that may be the direction I am leaning, but would like more input. Thanks, TB

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kvhoff16 said:
Seems how both of you test rode the ex8 & hifi 26ers, would you consider both to be plush? I have found 08 hifi pro 26er at good price, but have not seen the rave reviews as I did with ex8 for suspension. My lbs sold a ex8 I was interested in buying, but still have 08 hifi pro 26 at great price, or the hifi deluxe 29er (09) for msrp.. I think if I wanted to I could still locate 08 ex8, if I wanted to, but I want to stick with LBS.. I have read some of "2ndgen" threads, and my riding and size is very similar.... So hifi or ex8 in your opinion on better all around bike?
In my opinion, I'd take the EX8 for cross country riding, but the HiFi for more aggressive trail riding.
The EX8 is a rocket and gets up to speed quick and it's the plusher of the two,
but the HiFi is like a scalpel on a trail dissecting lines.

A better "all around" bike?

I'd have to give it to the HiFi.
It's better to have more bike than you need,
than to have the need and not have the bike.

Plus, for me personally, the HiFi is way easier to toss around on a trail.
For me, it's far easier to control and to manipulate over things.
And for me, it feels much lighter than it's 27lbs.

I don't know how comfortable it would be over a day of nice level riding when compared to the EX8.
I'd say the EX8 would definitely have the advantage there.

However, the ABP and the other features on the EX8 are highly praised.

"All around" is relative to the rider.

Again...If you plan on riding more aggressively, again, the HiFi.
If just cross country riding with light technical, then the EX8.

There are far more experienced riders here who can better explain this than me and who might have different opinions,
but ultimately, ride them both if you haven't.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trekboy79 said:
2ndgen I too have narrowed it down to the Blur LT2, Tracer VP, Mach 5, Roscoe (and Ibis Mojo) as my next ride. Have you ridden any of these bikes? How do they compare? For around $3K I can buy an LT2 or a Roscoe II and make some upgrades later, so that may be the direction I am leaning, but would like more input. Thanks, TB
Hey TB,

Wish I could say I got to ride the LT2, the VP and the Mach 5, but they are nowhere in sight here and no one carries them. :madman:

That makes my decision easier in a sense because now I can imagine how servicing my next bike will be and right now, Gary Fisher is on point with that. When I called Trek about testing a Roscoe, they arranged to have one shipped out here to a LBS.

I should be on that puppy later this week.

I'll report on it.

I've been thinking however that the Blur LT2 should really be compared more to a HiFi.

The Roscoe should really be compared to the Santa Cruz Nomad.
Both are burlier bikes more geared towards All Mountain than Cross Country.

(I have ridden the HiFi Deluxe and right now, I love it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.