Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen a Gold Anodized FTM.......saw one today and I must say, tempted to just snag it up and make a big pimpin project bike.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
TiEndo said:
Has anyone ever seen a Gold Anodized FTM.......saw one today and I must say, tempted to just snag it up and make a big pimpin project bike.:p
Do you have pics of the Gold Ano FTM?
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
orthorex said:
I think I saw the same one...

Did you get the 5.Spot out yet?
Yep, That is the one.

Have gone for 1 short ride so far. Gotta go pick up a 70mm stem, cockpit is definately a little stretched right now.

The Good vs Motolite.:

Front end stays planted like my EG, The ML needs a Talas or Travel adjust fork to prevent wandering on the climbs.

Easy/Peasy Setup. Rider Weight less 25 lbs, pretty much put you at the correct rear sag, Fox recommendation less 5 lbs sagged the front perfectly for me. The ML with the short stroke, took a lot of experimentation to find the sweet spot (235 PSI) for me.

More Slack geometry, very well balanced. I hate to say it, but I feel more confident on the 5spot then my ML....But to play devils advocate, The EG makes me feel like superman.

Hammer and go suspension.......This thing does not wallow in its suspension at all.

Going up.....5 spot for sure....as Ortho stated in his review, very subjective to rider technique, I admittedly have none. I tend to instinctively stand and mash on uphills and the Spot does not like this at all, where the Titus's can handle this a bit better. If you can force yourself to stay seated and mash then it flys up climbs.

Going Down.....5spot again, more travel, more balanced feeling.

Weight....Both bikes are built up very similar. the Spot and motolite both being in the 26 lb area.

The Bad vs Motolite

Being called a Homer:p

Cost

Heavier.

As with the short stroke motolite, it is easy to bottom out the 5 spot.

Personally I think the 5spot is more similar to the 2010 EG, I have tried the FTM on demo, and liked it and it addresses some of the shortcomings of the ML, But I also am emphatic that it is more of a long travel XC bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
TiEndo said:
Personally I think the 5spot is more similar to the 2010 EG, I have tried the FTM on demo, and liked it and it addresses some of the shortcomings of the ML, But I also am emphatic that it is more of a long travel XC bike.
Sounds like you like the Spot. That's great news, it's a really nice ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
I agree with your thoughts TE. The Spot is a great bike. The FTM, for me, is a better bike for where I ride with lots of long grinding climbs. Of the shelf, it's definitely more XC oriented on the descents. PUSH helped with smoothing out the mid stroke and vastly improving rebound through small and medium stuff. They are both really stable, confidence inspiring bikes.

Now I need to demo an EG.
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I could have only one bike......(LOL)......I still think it would be a El Guapo. It can wear many faces, but so can the spot. So that is why I am saying those 2 bikes should be compared, not FTM vs Spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
TiEndo said:
If I could have only one bike......(LOL)......I still think it would be a El Guapo. It can wear many faces, but so can the spot. So that is why I am saying those 2 bikes should be compared, not FTM vs Spot.
Man, I have been saying that for years! And don't forget the Spot actually weighs the same as the EG!
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vespasianus said:
Man, I have been saying that for years! And don't forget the Spot actually weighs the same as the EG!
Version 1 (08) of the EG was built like a tank and designed to take on a lot more abuse then the people Titus was targeting for.

Version 2 and 3 (09/10) is definately going towards the "AM" crowd or more so the people that want 1 main bike in their stable.

Not everyone can try all the bikes mentioned except possibly a dealer or someone with a serious fetish and collection of bikes......so its hard to compare apples vs oranges for the majority of consumers.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top