Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
singletrack lush
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, I messed up. I tightened too hard and stripped it:( .
The brake mounts are built in to the fork lowers so I'm hoping this mishap wont require a purchase of a new fork...or is it? is there a fix for this?....The brake caliper is held to the fork with two screws with washers, for now, I took out the washer on the screw thats sits in the stripped threading so it can reach deeper in the threaded opening and hold on to the unstripped thread. hope this will work foe now. But is there a more permanent fix for this? any one else came accross the same problem?

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
marzz said:
The brake mounts are built in to the fork lowers so I'm hoping this mishap wont require a purchase of a new fork...or is it? is there a fix for this?....The brake caliper is held to the fork with two screws with washers, for now, I took out the washer on the screw thats sits in the stripped threading so it can reach deeper in the threaded opening and hold on to the unstripped thread. hope this will work foe now. But is there a more permanent fix for this? any one else came accross the same problem?
Theres always options:
1. Send it back to manitou
2. Helicoil
3. Re-tap Depending on how bad the threads are

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
I'll second the helicoil.

mtb_biker said:
Theres always options:
1. Send it back to manitou
2. Helicoil
3. Re-tap Depending on how bad the threads are
6mm bolt holes are usually great candidates for helicoils. I've had a Firefly, and I think there's plenty of material at that spot for a helicoil application. Even at a disc brake mount like this, the helicoil will have plenty of integrity.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I believe some people here who had the same problem got their lowers replaced for free under warranty because the torque spec was incorrectly specified. As the owner of multiple Manitou forks I really wish they would drop this post mount for IS mounts. Much less risk of damaging the lowers with IS.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
marzz said:
I tried to put some discs on my XVERT and the same thing happened. My fork has some sort of insert (helicoil) in it because the threads just came out on the bolt. I looked at the other one and it is not just threads made into the lowers. It is something like a Helicoil. I'm going to use my Xvert on my HT so I bought a new fork. I'm going to get a helicoil for it.
This post type mount isn't a good thing. It is much easier to have an extra disc adapter around to replace one that is stripped.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
There have been a few problems with the post mounts on Manitou forks. Call up Manitou to see if they can help you out with some new legs. It seems the torque spec recommended in the manual and by the brake mfgs of 90-110 in-lbs is too high. Use 80 in-lbs and locktite instead. Also, the bolt holes are much deeper than the bolts supplied by brake mfgs. Go to the hardware store and get the longest bolts that you can fit preferrably without tapered ends to maximize the threads used. You really only need about 3 threads to hold it on there. A new longer bolt without the washers should be good enough but still see what Manitou can do. jeffj posted some good info here...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=215491#poststop

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
did the same thing on my Firefly this weekend. I went the longer bolt route and it proved to work just fine. For a moment though, I had stress like you read about....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts