Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as I spoke to a mechanical engineer friend of mine and he explained how it works. My ignorance is bared for all to see. Unfortunately he also said it's not an efficient design and must pogo like a son of a gun. So while I'm stupid of most things mechanical in design my instincts weren't completely out of whack. Now we know why it was only $28. :D

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Gotta love the Shockster....

fred3 said:
as I spoke to a mechanical engineer friend of mine and he explained how it works. My ignorance is bared for all to see. Unfortunately he also said it's not an efficient design and must pogo like a son of a gun. So while I'm stupid of most things mechanical in design my instincts weren't completely out of whack. Now we know why it was only $28. :D
......for what it is, a failed innovation among many in suspension design and a classic among the many failed branches of MTB evolution in the 90's.

I wonder it he can get that bad boy Pushed to cancel out the bob and go with some titanium bolts and springs to lighten it up a bit?

A classic novelty the Shockster is.

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Wow, that did kick your a$$ huh?

There isnt much bob at all, if any. Apparently since its perpindicular to the ground theres no bob. I didnt notice any.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You can say what you want about the Shockster but I saw one in use for a while several years back and it took a long while for my buddy to destroy it, and he was trying pretty hard. If you don't mind the extra weight and a longer wheelbase but didn't want to plunk down for a bike with rear suspension and you had an old hardtail available to try it with, why the heck not? My buddy kinda liked it on first sight and he was trained in engineering, and after using it a while said it wasn't bad considering what it was and he had fun with it. $28 would definitely be worth an experiment (my friend paid quite a bit more even tho it was a great deal at the time)...most of us will pay more than that for a tire or simple tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.