Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was riding my regular route sunday, it was a nice day but quite windy. Going around the corner, I see a mountain lion strolling on the fire road.

Beautiful animal that had no idea that I was approaching. The wind prevented him from hearing me.

I closed in to about fifty yards and I was not brave enough to get any closer.

I skidded my tire and came to a stop, animal turns its head around and stairs at me for about five seconds. After that it ran away not to be seen again.

I always knew they were out there, that ws my confirmation.

What do you guys take for protection from these animals,if any? I think if it wants you it will tear you up like a soft pillow.

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
You should have jumped on the bugger and wrangled him Steve Irwin style just for the heck of it.....

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
What do you guys take for protection from these animals,if any? I think if it wants you it will tear you up like a soft pillow.

Nothing. Resistance is futile.

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
Nothing. Resistance is futile.
+1
If a mountain lion attacks you, the first notice you'll have of, it is when it's jaws clamp down on the back of your neck. IF you happen to have something in your hand, you might get the chance to use it. Good luck trying to get anything out of a pocket or a pack.

That being said, mountain lions will weigh the risks versus the rewards. If there's a chance that they will get injured (basically a death sentence for predators) they won't attack. A cyclist on a bike is a pretty big, intimidating and confusing target for them.

There are exceptions but generally a full grown adult human is safe from mountain lion attacks.

You were very lucky to have the chance to see one. I lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years, with the largest population of cougars (mountain lions) in North America. I spent almost all my time in the forest and I've only seen 2 cougars.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
The thing probably just ran out of your sight and then trailed you for the rest of your ride. I don't think they run away much out of fear and don't give you any warning once they've decided what they're going to do about the food on wheels either.

·
'11 Opus Strat
464 Posts
+1
If a mountain lion attacks you, the first notice you'll have of, it is when it's jaws clamp down on the back of your neck. IF you happen to have something in your hand, you might get the chance to use it. Good luck trying to get anything out of a pocket or a pack.

That being said, mountain lions will weigh the risks versus the rewards. If there's a chance that they will get injured (basically a death sentence for predators) they won't attack. A cyclist on a bike is a pretty big, intimidating and confusing target for them.

There are exceptions but generally a full grown adult human is safe from mountain lion attacks.

You were very lucky to have the chance to see one. I lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years, with the largest population of cougars (mountain lions) in North America. I spent almost all my time in the forest and I've only seen 2 cougars.
+2

You will never have any time to pull something out of your pocket or backpack.
I am planning a trip to Newfoundland this summer ( Bike beside me obviously! ), I was asking some locals and family down there what I should bring with me if I go out by myself for a ride, risks are moose and black bear. First few said a rifle... or just don't go alone.. Since that's not happening, the others suggested bear mase and elastic band it' around a part of your bike that you can quick grab it, ( air horns as well ).

Two things not to mess with, Mother Nature and Mother F'ing Russians. :nono:

·
@trailgrinder
422 Posts
Wow that's cool! I ride where we have a healthy number of mtn lions.....so they say out of my hundreds and hundreds of rides I have yet to see one. The thing I bring for protection is a new set of drawers so hopefully if one does approach or stalk me I have a clean pair of undies to change in to. On a serious note I just ride with a riding buddy and we have discussed plans for any kind of attack etc. I do Cary a small kel tech p3at in my camelback but knw it's worthless unless I had a minute or two in order to gain access. Another thing I don't do is ride with head phones so I can hear what's going on around me.

·
B.Ike
1,206 Posts
Samuri swords zip tied to the fork is the way to go. Maybe you can't get them out in time for an actual attack but I think it would make the lion think twice. Works for crack heads too.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You should have jumped on the bugger and wrangled him Steve Irwin style just for the heck of it.....
I can just see it now...

"Lookie there, that's a mount'n lion. Isn't she a beu'y?"
"I'll get a closer look."
"OH SHE BIT MEEH!"
:lol::thumbsup:

Reactions: Tone's

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Supposedly, having a face on the back of your head will discourage a big cat from attacking from behind. Or maybe they just go away laughing.

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
Supposedly, having a face on the back of your head will discourage a big cat from attacking from behind. Or maybe they just go away laughing.
Natives on Vancouver Island have traditional hats like that. I'd say it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find when I am scared or shocked (which I would be both in this situation) I freeze. Any ideas if this happens to you on what to do? Thanks

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
all kidding aside, what I'm hearing is that this is an incredibly scary situation to deal with. I mean, say you ride in an area known for Mountain Lions...you guys are saying the only 'defense' is hope and luck?

"Alright, I'm heading out honey. be back in about 3 hours...unless I get mauled and eaten..."
*kiss the cheek*
"OK dear, have fun!"

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Sounds like the same way I saw one @ 15 years ago.. hair on the back of my neck stood up soon as my brain saw the big "monkey" tail

I think helmet makers should pick up on this. It could be the next big thing.
Same here, I heard it's the eyes. Stick some of these on the back

·
@trailgrinder
422 Posts
Being serious I do think it does involve a littl hope and luck. Hope you don't come up to an animal and startle it, and you will need a little luck in fighting it off. Noise is your friend when your riding, and make sure you don't treat a mtn lion like a bear encounter, figh scream kick anything possible to intimidate that animal and make yourself look like a bad arse in is eyes.

all kidding aside, what I'm hearing is that this is an incredibly scary situation to deal with. I mean, say you ride in an area known for Mountain Lions...you guys are saying the only 'defense' is hope and luck?

"Alright, I'm heading out honey. be back in about 3 hours...unless I get mauled and eaten..."
*kiss the cheek*
"OK dear, have fun!"

1 - 20 of 81 Posts