Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm coming into Fruita late tonight and intend to "camp" in my minivan. Is there a good wide spot in the road to sleep (where I won't be asked to leave by the local deputy)? I checked reservations for campgrounds and it looks like everything is full. Don't worry, I'll contribute to the local economy in the bars. Thanks!

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
Thinking of doing the same tonight but maybe going to spring for a hotel since I need a place to keep our dog while riding tomorrow. My best luck in your situation has always been crashing in a church parking lot if you can find one, never been bothered by anyone and usually they stay pretty quiet though the night. Usually pretty easy to spot and always the first thing I look for now when I need a little sleep while pulling cross country roadies.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
Van dweller

I think I have a unique perspective from which to answer this question. I lived in a van for almost three years, and spent 7 months of that time in Fruita. :)

Disclaimer: This is NOT the new Fruita camping area. This is NOT a good place to build a fire or pitch a tent. You will likely be harrassed by drunken high-skoolers. You may be roused by the police, although they will not tell you to leave.

If you need a wide spot to do some hit-and-run car "camping", go south out of town on 340, towards the Natty Mon. Turn right on Kings View DR *I think* it's called. There will be a sign for Horesthief Canyon. It's an obvious turn, just south of the river. Follow the road past the housing developement. It'll turn to dirt, follow it until you're out of sight from the folks livin' there. Make sure you've at least gotten onto public land (it's marked). Pull over. Sleep. Vanish promptly.

There's a couple of hidden spots if you look for them. That'll make it a little bit harder for the teenage misfits to find you.

Again, this is not a good place for the teeming masses at FFTF to set up camp. It's just a good place to crash if you have no alternative.

Oh, and it is down by the river. ;)

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
catch22 said:
My best luck in your situation has always been crashing in a church parking lot if you can find one,QUOTE]

That shouldn't be a problem finding one,there are seven off of Aspen Ave.Rabbit Valley is good also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.