Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I are both in the market for a new bike, and both seriously need one. were both looking for a hardtail in the 600-750 range. looking for a bike that can do singletrack really well, disc brakes, strong frame, and very importantly GOOD CLIMBING. the problem is after reading countless articles and going to many at least 4 LBS's we have recieved many mixed views, opinions, bias's, and bike salesmen just trying to sell us the most expensive bike possible. neither of us can decide. collectively we have come up with a list of bikes that we think are comperable in price range. those bikes are:
Cannondale F5
Gary fisher Marlin disc
Trek 6000
Specialized rockhopper
Giant XTC 2
GT avalanche 2.0

I personally like the cannondale F5 but have heard bad things about cannondale frames, you know the cracknfail nickname. My friend likes the specialized rockhopper but it is only an 24 speed where everything else here except the gt is a 27 speed (i think.) i also kind was very fond of the trek 6000. all specs im looking at are 2008 specs.

PLEASE! comments, thoughts, pros and cons on these bikes, or even suggestion of other bikes. again disc brakes, good shox with lockout, strong and at least medium weight frames that are good for climbing.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
As far as the Cannondale durability argument goes... My first mountain bike was a 2000Cannondale Super V400. I just sold the bike and after 8 years I never had one single problem with any part of the frame. The headshock isn't exactly the best fork ever but as far as being durable mine went 8 years without a single problem and as far as I know is still going strong.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
the big picture...

1) find an LBS you like and trust

2) pick the bike that FITS you best

then:

Choose based on the best combo of performance, value and service.

In other words, pick the bike that fits best at the best shop at the best price, in that order.

Lastly, ignore "what I heard" stuff, it's usually just noise and wrong.

Did I mention fit was important? If you get that wrong, it's easier to just tear up $100 bills, you won't ride it.

Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im looking for exactly the same thingd as you!! Try focus northern lite on wiggle and the viper TR 4.0 on chain reaction. Theyre what i cant decide between. [my budget is more like 550 - 650 pounds]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.