Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the climb has always been a favorite ride for me, but after starting out the season with the Rex Patrick memorial with 1 hour 7 min of wheel time to the shelter, I had some serious work to do. I have tired to hit it at least once a week since that ride, and the times have come steadily down, I turned my PR today at 47:45, 45 seconds from riding it at my age/time goal. (I heard it said, that you should be able to ride it where your minutes = you age).
I have been steadily improving my time, sometimes with a 3 min improvement from the previous ride, and that is truly addictive.

Yes, I know, I truly sucked when I rode the Rex, but I have been focused on dropping some gross tonnage and riding hard, and I am really enjoying the difference.

I just wish I could get two consecutive rides without faltering on one of the first set of waterbars, with the accompanying failure to unclip fall over. :D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
When I moved here last year, I think I made it up in an hour and ten minutes and three mini heart attacks. That climb isn't demoralizing like Bergen can be (I love both) but I hit 51 minutes last week and I hope to get down to 45 or so by the end of this season. I don't know if that is doable for me but I'll try. There are a lot of runner on that trail but I think they are supposed to yield to uphill traffic, right? I stopped a few times last time but it just kills the momentum on steep uphills and is hell to get restarted again in my weakened state. :)

I did Bergen last weekend and that makes Mt. Falcon seem easy.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Nice work, man! I've only ridden it once this year and forgot to time myself. I did at least make it non-stop to the top. Need to hit that next week and see how far off of my age I am (37).

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sooner518 said:
no way in hell i could make that climb in 26 minutes. congrats man. i havent been there in a while
I have heard tell that it has been done in sub 30 min times, I think Rex Patrick's best was 31 min, and he rode with only one leg.

I am sure that there is some reasonable cut-off for the age/time goal, I would think around 30 mins or so.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flyer said:
I did Bergen last weekend and that makes Mt. Falcon seem easy.
Agreed, I feel the climbing is pretty similar, but the technical components of Bergen makes that much more difficult for me. There is one switch back on the way up that I have never cleaned, and never cleaned all the remaining in the same climb.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Did it.

Finally broke my PR last night. 29:00! I've been trying to break 30 min for over a year... I seriously love that climb....I typically do the Parmalee, Old Ute, Devils Elbow, Meadow, Bear Creek, Lair 'o Bear loop;once a week from the Conoco. It's one of my favorite rides!

My buddy did it in 28:30 consistently being a top expert racer, and I have heard that JHK did it sub 20....not confirmed by anything..but probably possible for a WC racer. I think you would have to be big-ring the whole bloody time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Falcon climb is one of my faves too...not to mention the loops up top and connecting with Lair O' Bair. I can't wait to head up there this week to see where I'm at. Anyone up to ride it on Wed or Thurs AM this week?

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
I've always like the Falcon climb as well

and never claimed I was fast. But one magical day I went from the crappers down on the Morrison side parking lot to the house ruins (not the shelter--I've never timed myself to just there) and touched the fence at 42:02. I tried to beat that for years after but that was the best. I thought I was flying!

OK, time for someone to post that we're all dorks for comparing best times. That said, anybody else timed themselves all the way to the "ruins" and touching the fence?

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
Hey btadlock how have you been? When I used to climb it regularly on the geared bike my best time was 32:02 I didn't time on the Rex Patrick ride and rode the ss because I wanted it to hurt. Have climbed it twice since on the single doing the 5 parks ride but don't time it. I have to stop a few times on the ss, ok maybe more than a few, but the rest of that loop is awsome. We should do that loop sometime! :thumbsup:

kevin

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's fun to read everyone's PR's and how they push themselves every time out. Whether it's an hour or a cool 30 minutes, everyone is at a different level which makes this sport fun. No matter how low you go there's always that feeling you can do better next time.

For me, I just hit 32:00 last week. Hoping to go sub-30 by the end of the season. But 20 mintues? Good god!!!

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PBR me! said:
Hey btadlock how have you been? When I used to climb it regularly on the geared bike my best time was 32:02 I didn't time on the Rex Patrick ride and rode the ss because I wanted it to hurt. Have climbed it twice since on the single doing the 5 parks ride but don't time it. I have to stop a few times on the ss, ok maybe more than a few, but the rest of that loop is awsome. We should do that loop sometime! :thumbsup:

kevin
Kevin, how are you? Sounds like your getting some good riding in. We should absolutely hit this sometime. I "might" be able to keep you in sight on the SS. :D

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
hatake said:
Now only if I can love the descent as much as the climb... How do you guys get down when there are so many hikers & hourse back riders?
You just have to go early and if you drop in to pence not much equine traffic on that trail

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
YUp

I rarely, if ever, go down falcon anymore. I always do the full five parks loop.

Bear Creek/Lair o' bear is often just as bad though. Anymore, I try and time it so that I am going down around 8:00 when most riders are done. If I get there between 7:00 and 7:30 it's pretty bad.

I've had to stand on the side of the trail...on uphill sections....for 10 minutes, as the riders just keep coming by. I think some people assume that since they are going up the trail, they have right away everywhere on their path to the top, even when they are going downhill.... Rant over....

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
I knew I wasn't going to break any records today

In fact, it turns out in the past I was slow when I thought I was fast...and now I'm much slower! All I wanted to do was get to the shelter alive and see where my time was at compared to what I used to do. I don't think I've ever pedaled Mt. Falcon any slower, but I was still 45 minutes to the shelter (which I think means about 35 minutes to the shelter when I used to hammer all the way to the ruins in 42).Here's a pic from on the way down for those of you who haven't been on Mt. Falcon. There's a lot of Front Range trails representated in this pic.

And---while I saw sweating my way to the top I approached a non-sweating hardtail guy coming down. I said something like "this never really gets easy" and he replied "yeah, that's why I have a car waiting for me at the bottom!" I said you got dropped off at the top and are just coasting down? His look was "you mean there's another way of riding Mt. Falcon :)confused: :confused: ) And he didn't even have on a full face! I pedaled away saying "dooooooood..."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.