Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
artistic...
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well deserved. I wish it won´t turn into a bubble of speculation: i am in it for the joy of riding.
I remember saying it when prices were stupid high and got the usual "it´s a free market yadda yadda." Then prices dropped drastically and i thought "vintage profiteers had it coming".
Then it became the stupid argument of no one wants 26in and rim brakes because: the horror when we know a good bike is a good bike is a good bike...

·
Bikes in jeans
2,337 Posts
Starting to see some myself, still nothing crazy but I about cried when I couldn't even get $200 for my damn near perfect condition racelite frame a few years ago.

I think the gravel bike trend is partially driving it as well as just having a cool cruiser to ride around on. May still be some nostalgia and people are looking for that bike or those components they couldn't afford when they were young.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Might be the fact that people are stuck at home and finally have a reason to ride a bike. Project time!

Around Seattle used bike prices are up at least 50-75% and people are buying em up. Only good deals that last a few hours require a ton of work and are few and far between.

·
artistic...
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might be the fact that people are stuck at home and finally have a reason to ride a bike. Project time!

Around Seattle used bike prices are up at least 50-75% and people are buying em up. Only good deals that last a few hours require a ton of work and are few and far between.
Yeah, i have the same intuition: it´s a pandemia thing but also the recession thing. When you are scared a bike, whatever bike, seems exhilarating and no one cares if it´s disc or 27.5: as long as it´s pretty and goes places it´s a good one. Even better if it´s timeless. The idea of progress/future is questionable these days. GIve us back the good times.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,344 Posts
If it;s in the last month or so?

Covid.

Spoken to several shops and brands at this point.

Trek, for example, is up 1100% over last April, Jamis, 700%, etc.

You did not read that wrong.

The industry is dying, has been for at least 5+ years, cycling is not something people do as much anymore hell, going outside even.

Fill in the blank, distracted drivers, social media, indoor trainers, gyms, the industries tin eared, relentless push for ever more expensive parts and bikes (cause everyone who buys a bike, wants to be a pro racer, right?), the fattening of the population, matters not.

They've been trimming production numbers for several years.

Now? Basically every manufacturer has run out of bikes, literally. They have nothing to sell, and the consumer public is rattling their gates in frustration, anger and fear.

I have folks who "found me" and are begging for hybrids, as their favorite shop let them down. As did I.

Same folks are howling about how everything on Craigslist is junk, which is true, anything decent, used, has already been snapped up by people desperate to do something since their gym closed and their kids are driving them batshit crazy.

Enter, vintage MTB.

Bikes no one would have considered buying used, now, look pretty damn amazing, like the little escape reality portals, we all knew them to be, all along....

Welcome to the new world order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts