Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang I’ve been lurking and reading all your posts and reviews about the Yeti 575 for quite a while.

Based on what you Yeti Freaks have been saying, The Yeti 575 should fit my SoCal riding needs. In Sandy Eggo County we have long climbs and some very rocky loose descents. If you’ve ever seen any of Aquaholics pics around – you know what our terra-firma is like.

It was a tough call between a 5 Spot, X-5, Moto-lite, and the 575.

Thanks for the read – thanks for the reports both good and bad, and thanks for helping me make a hard decision.

Now does anyone have any info (good or bad) on Beyond Bikes? I need to find a local Yeti dealer.

Beyond quoted me $2,400 out the door for the '06 575 Enduro.

Cheers!

Howeler

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
You went to the same psychic that I did....Not built up yet, still waiting on the fork to arrive and wheels to get built.

I have no personal experience with BeyondBikes, but they seem to be the subject of scrutiny on the message boards fairly often. I got my 575 from Bonkey and was very pleased with the service and pricing.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Howeler said:
Curious as to how you decided on the 575 over the 3 other bikes? If those were on my list I'd have a very tough time figuring out which one I wanted. But it seems like those bikes (other than the offerings of the bigger companies like Specialized or SC) would all do well on a variety of terrain and riding styles.

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a number of factors...

I'm going with the 575 based on local terrain, my weight, my riding style, price and performance ratio...but not on NAME.

I've seen and ridden pretty much everthing out there in my 18 years of riding.

The thing about the Yeti is that it hits the weight mark (28-29lbs.), seems to be able to handle rough downhills, can climb from what I've heard, and can be modified to even do some minor DH runs at Mammoth with some bigger tires.

I do all day epics that include long climbs and tricky ST DH's. I don't jump except for the occasional launch off of objects in the way.

I wanted a 5"-6" trail bike and the Yeti fit all the requirements. Hopefully with mods I can make it a 27lbs speed machine.

H

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Howler,

I was in the exact same boat. There are 3 options for a prospective Yeti owner in SoCal:
1) Beyond Bikes in SD
2) Adreneline Bikes in Orange
3) Mailorder from wherever.

When I was about to get mine, I checked with Adreneline and Beyond and neither one of them gave me the impression that they could get the Yeti Race Disc kits with the parts that I wanted. This was back in late Oct. and when I saw that other people on this forum were getting Race Disc kits ('06 Kits) I began to get suspicious. I called Yeti and they said that the parts were in stock and shipping. So I started to re-assess my options. I had already put in an order with Beyond, and was starting to get mad at their slack attitude)

Beyond gave me a terrible run around (you can check my other posts to get the full story if you want or PM me) and they tried to upsell me to an Intense for more money and less of a parts package than they quoted me on the Yeti when I called to ***** about where my Yeti was. Long story short, I cancelled the order, and called the credit card company to get my deposit back, so I didn't have to deal with them any further.

I got a lot of feedback from the forum to go with either Bonkey, or Will and the gang up at Full Cycles in Oregon. Full Cycles gave me a good price, and the best part, they were super good with emailing me back with any answers to questions I had about components.

They were PAINLESS to deal with, and the bike came in just as they said it would. The price was good too, but I swapped out pretty much everything from the original kit (I lost my head a little bit).

If you want a somewhat newbie to go riding with (new to the west coast, not to riding, I just moved here from Florida) that would rock.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ditto DeskoFipps...

I was pretty much doing what DeskoFipps was.

Went in to Beyond Bikes, e-mailed Adrenaline. While BB has nice stuff to look at, it's like pulling teeth to actually get anybody to help you, then when they do (I'm thinking of one guy in particular), it's as if you're offending them that you actually want to buy something. I could ramble on-and-on about how they seem to not see the "big picture" when it comes to customer service.

I ended up going with Will and the guys at FullCycles.com also. This was my first bike purchase on-line and it couldn't have gone smoother. Will returns e-mails promptly and is very easy to talk to on the phone. They get the "big picture". By being nice and helpful I not only bought my bike from them, but a build kit for my husbands bike and order any parts now that we may need. I also refer them (like now) whenever possible.

I could go on, but I'm already rambling, so I won't.

crazyhouse

·
EDR
10,312 Posts
Tough choice on bikes but I know one thing.....the Yeti won't let you down. It does climb very well and 27bls is achievable with money. 29 or 30 with much less money.

Beyond Bikes has some sketchy reviews. Adrenilene (sp?) has very good word of mouth.

I (and several others) have purchased from Boutique Bikes (www.boutiquebikes.com). These guys are great. I swapped a lot of parts at real cost. For instance, my Pike retailed at the time for less than the Vanilla so I got about 50 bucks credit, etc, etc....

Bonkey has very good reviews as well. Both Bonkey and the guys from Boutique Bikes frequent here but don't push themselves on this forum as retailers, thats nice imo.

Good luck! -JB

·
Registered
350 Posts
I third Will at fullcycles.com helpful and quick customer service. my experience with fullcycles.com when I bought my 575 frame was unbeatable. I got a better deal than i could of asked for. Full Cycles, its awesome.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Retailer and Weight

Howeler,

Retailer:
I got mine from bonkey at Desert Cycles in St. George Utah. He was great and the price was out of this world. The guys from Boutique Bikes seem great from what I can tell from the boards. I have also heard good stuff about Red Barn I think and there is always Larry at Mountain High Cyclery.

Weight:
28-29 is totally doable, though I would shoot for 29-30. What fork are you going to put on there? I would highly recommend something with at least 140mm of travel. The Pike air or coil, or the AM1 would be best. The new dual air Pike would help keep the weight down.

I ride in the LA area and sound like I ride similar terrain. Mine weighs 30.5 at last weigh in. I could easily loose a 1 pound with not too much money but could loose another .5-.75 pounds for a bit more money. All of this without sacrificing performance. See thread for specs: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=1398942#poststop

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Howeler said:
Well gang I've been lurking and reading all your posts and reviews about the Yeti 575 for quite a while.

Based on what you Yeti Freaks have been saying, The Yeti 575 should fit my SoCal riding needs. In Sandy Eggo County we have long climbs and some very rocky loose descents. If you've ever seen any of Aquaholics pics around - you know what our terra-firma is like.

Thanks for the read - thanks for the reports both good and bad, and thanks for helping me make a hard decision.

Now does anyone have any info (good or bad) on Beyond Bikes? I need to find a local Yeti dealer.

Beyond quoted me $2,400 out the door for the '06 575 Enduro.

Cheers!

Howeler
I am also seeing a 575 in my future and have been trying to compare between the moto-lite and the Yeti. What was it that made you decide to go with the yeti over the moto-lite? The biggest difference I see in the two is that the Titus seems to have a more race geometry and the Yeti has 1/2" more travel. Are there other differences worth mentioning? I do aggressive XC riding but want an all mountain worthy bike and haven't raced but would like to, although it would not be my main focus on the bike. Any info you may have would be appreciated.

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You answered your own question

iviguy said:
I am also seeing a 575 in my future and have been trying to compare between the moto-lite and the Yeti. What was it that made you decide to go with the yeti over the moto-lite? The biggest difference I see in the two is that the Titus seems to have a more race geometry and the Yeti has 1/2" more travel. Are there other differences worth mentioning? I do aggressive XC riding but want an all mountain worthy bike and haven't raced but would like to, although it would not be my main focus on the bike. Any info you may have would be appreciated.
Moto-Lite = more "racy" geo

Yeti = 1/2" more travel

PS I do like the Motolite...but that head angle seems to steep to me - I should ride one though...

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
iviguy said:
What was it that made you decide to go with the yeti over the moto-lite?
It was a tough decision for me between the Turner 5 Spot, Ventana X5, Moto-lite and the 575. I ended up on the 575.

General Reasons for 575:
1. Bang for the buck
2. More "trail" geometry
3. Builds up nicely to a 28lb trail bike
4. Team Turq is a unique color and adds a bit of individualism from the rest of the black, silver, blue hords

Specifically about the Moto-lite:
1. Didn't fit real well. I'm right at 6ft, and this fit problem has been well documented. The Med. was small and cramped, the large was pretty stretched out for me. Changing stems would help some, but still didn't fit as well for me as the 575
2. Even with the new triangle, tire clearance isn't great.
3. Didn't think I'd ever use the 4" travel mode
4. Yeti seems to respond better to longer travel forks

My choice really came down to 5 Spot vs 575, and I just couldn't find $600 worth of difference between the two frames. My only concern with the Yeti was how uber thin the tubes feel when given the "thump test", but time will tell how they hold up.

Should be building up my 575 tonight, pics to follow.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Howeler said:
Moto-Lite = more "racy" geo

Yeti = 1/2" more travel

PS I do like the Motolite...but that head angle seems to steep to me - I should ride one though...
Let me rephrase the question then.

Moto-Lite = more Racey geometry. What is the drawback or implication to having the racey geo if it is not being used for racing much? Does it affect more technical or DH type riding or simply fatigue the rider more on long epic rides? I had a GT Avalanche with a racey geo and liked it because it handled well in tight singletrack but I also got fatigued quicker because of the riding position. I don't know the angles of the design for that bike though....

Yeti = 1/2" more travel. Is that 1/2" noticeable in most riding conditions? With a less racey geo on this bike does it feel more sluggish in the singletrack or is there a downside to the 69/72 angles? Someone may need to explain these angles better to me because I am not sure what is best for what. I think the 69/72 angle is pretty common amongst XC bikes right? My current FSR has a 69/71 angle. What is the difference in the handling characteristics between 71 and 72? Is a steeper Head angle quicker handling? I think that my current bike is more sluggish than the GT I had last. Again, I don't know the angles of the GT.

I really like the Yeti because I have heard NOTHING bad about these bikes and the Turq. looks so cool and stands out. Everyone seems to love them. I read a review of the moto-lite in a mag and it seems like a nice bike for the price as well but I don't think it looks as good as the 575. I want to make the decision on riding needs moreso than looks though since it's a lot of money to lay out.

Anyway, thanks.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Jdub said:
It was a tough decision for me between the Turner 5 Spot, Ventana X5, Moto-lite and the 575. I ended up on the 575.

General Reasons for 575:
1. Bang for the buck
2. More "trail" geometry
3. Builds up nicely to a 28lb trail bike
4. Team Turq is a unique color and adds a bit of individualism from the rest of the black, silver, blue hords

Specifically about the Moto-lite:
1. Didn't fit real well. I'm right at 6ft, and this fit problem has been well documented. The Med. was small and cramped, the large was pretty stretched out for me. Changing stems would help some, but still didn't fit as well for me as the 575
2. Even with the new triangle, tire clearance isn't great.
3. Didn't think I'd ever use the 4" travel mode
4. Yeti seems to respond better to longer travel forks

My choice really came down to 5 Spot vs 575, and I just couldn't find $600 worth of difference between the two frames. My only concern with the Yeti was how uber thin the tubes feel when given the "thump test", but time will tell how they hold up.

Should be building up my 575 tonight, pics to follow.
Let us know how the bike turns out. I keep coming back to the 575 and will likely go that route. It's cleared with the wife to budget my new bike in so it will be later in the year before I buy it. There are so many really nice bikes out there in the $2k to $3k range so I keep getting sidetracked. I am sure that whatever I get it will seem like a dream compared to what I have had. I started with a Trek 930 ($400 bike) went to a GT Avalanche ($1000 bike) and now own a Rockhopper FSR that I built out. Going to the 575 will probably be like going from a Nissan Altima to a Porche Boxter as far as I am concerned. Or maybe a ford explorer to a hummer is a better example...

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I'd say the 5 Spot is prob the closest competitor among the ones you mention and both can be built pretty light. I like the extra standover on the 575, the looks, and the lower price. I got mine from Will at Fullcycles and he was the lowest I found and his customer service is really great when you need help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts