Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a king head set intalled with my fork, and am using a stemlock with it. IT WONT STAY TIGHT. Ive checked to see if its bottoming on the steer tube and almost positive its not. Ive used half a bottle of lock-tight and it still comes loose. I heard that king dose not recomend using a stemlock with there head-sets, but it seems thats better than that nut thingy, any suggestions? .........This is getting frustrating, finnaly got my fork dialed in and now this.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
has ur like heatube been reamed and faced coz that sometimes i the reason for ppl headsets cummin loose or havin movement in em...which can lead to ur headset screwing its self...

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BJ- said:
has ur like heatube been reamed and faced coz that sometimes i the reason for ppl headsets cummin loose or havin movement in em...which can lead to ur headset screwing its self...
no, bike is new, Im the first owner, but is the star nut better than the stemslock? I cant see how, other than its a little heavy

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
just to be sure...

id try swapping to a star nut and see if u have the problem still...

(im not a tech on headsets so maby if zedro or JM decide to grase us with the knowledge of the universe then ull find whats wrong...)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BJ- said:
just to be sure...

id try swapping to a star nut and see if u have the problem still...

(im not a tech on headsets so maby if zedro or JM decide to grase us with the knowledge of the universe then ull find whats wrong...)
alright, sounds like an idea. I just got done taking the stem loose and the stemlock out and re-lock-tighting it again, (probly like putting my hand on a hot stove again thinking it wont hurt) but anyway we'll see, by then Zed might chime in.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
allright...

well lets hope its easily fixed...coz so far zeds 2 hours late...

(dam ppl who think they can turn up when ever they feel like it...fashionalby late my ass)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BJ- said:
allright...

well lets hope its easily fixed...coz so far zeds 2 hours late...

(dam ppl who think they can turn up when ever they feel like it...fashionalby late my ass)
Ya he's probly stuck in traffic or still on the golf coarse, trying to boggie put on the 12th. Or hes still at the spa. those are all good excuses we can accept.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Kinda a stupid thing to ask you but....you sure you have the crown race seated all the way onto the fork crown? Also, try adding a quarter inch spacer to the top to see if that stops it. Sometimes even if it looks like the steerer tube is about even with the height of the stem its actually hitting the top cap an so that keeps it loose.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Kinda a stupid thing to ask you but....you sure you have the crown race seated all the way onto the fork crown? Also, try adding a quarter inch spacer to the top to see if that stops it. Sometimes even if it looks like the steerer tube is about even with the height of the stem its actually hitting the top cap an so that keeps it loose.
wow tony had a real response. are pigs gonnna fly soon?

anyways go buy yourself an azonic headset thingy. it is super tights adds a little weight but keeps your headset tight. www.azonicusa.com

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snowskilz said:
wow tony had a real response. are pigs gonnna fly soon?

anyways go buy yourself an azonic headset thingy. it is super tights adds a little weight but keeps your headset tight. www.azonicusa.com
the headlock is basicaly what I already have. Just its a planet-x, I think its a poor quality one though, cous Ive already broke one and this one seems like it might be stretching out the top cap, but the stem and my top crown on my fork should help hold things together, so there shouldnt be that much force on the headlock itself. is there?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
the stem is about 4mm above the steer tube.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
doubleA's said:
the headlock is basicaly what I already have. Just its a planet-x, I think its a poor quality one though, cous Ive already broke one and this one seems like it might be stretching out the top cap, but the stem and my top crown on my fork should help hold things together, so there shouldnt be that much force on the headlock itself. is there?
How to install a headset

A. ream and face the headtube
b. press i the cups
c. hammer the crown race on the fork
d. slide all the parts together. fork, races, seals, stem etc.
e. tighten down star fangled nut(or in your case planet x thingy) til its all tight.
f. tightten your fork and all that other garbage.
g. loosen up on the top cap and the rest should(yes i said SHOULD) stay tight.

Maybe your stem/fork isnt clamping tight enough on your steerer tube giving too much pressure on the top cap thingy

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have looked this thing over and over and cannot figure out how its coming loose. could it be that Im getting it TO tight? I think Im going to try a different headlock, like the azonic or even Marz has one. but I thought for sure that the thread locker would do the trick. I got the stem as tight as I can get it, without the fear of stripping the threads. I just dont know what else it could be. Ill try it one more time, Im getting tired of messing with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.