Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty impressed. Although I don't know if it would have given me a hernia had I picked it up.

The one in the shop looked like it had a much longer top tube. Looked like a decent trail rider.

The one drawback I guess is only having a back brake. Oh also the weird gyro thing allowing you to spin the bars without tangling the brakeline. The one in the pic doesn't have it.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
Burpee said:
I was pretty impressed. Although I don't know if it would have given me a hernia had I picked it up.

The one in the shop looked like it had a much longer top tube. Looked like a decent trail rider.

The one drawback I guess is only having a back brake. Oh also the weird gyro thing allowing you to spin the bars without tangling the brakeline. The one in the pic doesn't have it.
And seat post extension.

b1umb0y

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
Burpee said:
I don't know the one I saw at the shop looked much bigger than this. I'm 6'3" and I think I could have ridden it ok.
6'3" too... The long frame doesn't have the length to get the seat up high enough for trail riding. If it had, I think it would be great for my riding style (even on a trail). If only the SC Chameleon had the rear tire clearance and a sliding disc mount. :(

b1umb0y

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Unless I'm sadly mistaken, this is an urban/dirt jump bike that would make for anything but a decent trail ride. That's an awfully cramped cockpit for any proper trail riding.
TT is almost 23.5" for the long P-series frame. My 1x1 is 23.1". Cramped? Not sure about that. However, the 15" ST might present a problem. ;)

b1umb0y

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Correct!

SpinWheelz said:
Unless I'm sadly mistaken, this is an urban/dirt jump bike that would make for anything but a decent trail ride. That's an awfully cramped cockpit for any proper trail riding.
this bike is Specy's hard core, dirt jump, slalom bike. there is a local guy who rides one on the jumps and does some sick urban moves on it. i certainly wouldn't want to deal with that setup on the trail... but i'd love to huck it off some stair gaps! :D

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
24601 said:
I like the hardrock. I have been considering it lately. $550 ain't so bad for a nice middle between a trail and a jump bike.
I picked up the '04 version of the Hardrock SS last month. I haven't jumped with it yet. Well I've tried, but I ain't good at it :rolleyes:.

I ride on a 15" and it is a bit small in the cockpit, but overall I'm pretty happy with it!!! It is fun to go downhill with it!

It is my first SS and I'm already jonesing to get a Surly 1x1 and build up a SS from a circa early 90s Specialized (if I can ever find one around here!).

Nick

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
24601 said:
The 05 is very different, as you can see. Horizontal drops and disks, different frame, etc.
I don't know if the '04 and '05 are "very different" other than a different paint scheme and dropouts. From the looks of it, the '05 is spec'd out pretty similar to my '04.

Or am I missing something here?

Nick

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I guess it did have disks. The website shows they had basically the same fork but I swear the ones I looked at had RST fork. The frame change is significant in that the 04 had some chain drop issues with the tensioner. I heard upgrading the cog helps some with this.

Of course, the new model is $50 more too.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
24601 said:
I guess it did have disks. The website shows they had basically the same fork but I swear the ones I looked at had RST fork. The frame change is significant in that the 04 had some chain drop issues with the tensioner. I heard upgrading the cog helps some with this.
**** yeah :rolleyes:. As soon as the trail pointed upwards and I had to hammer on the pedals.....POP POP POP.

So for several weeks I was limited to either walking up hills or sticking with easy stuff. It originally was a 32x16...ordered a 20...got the wrong one...found an 18 in our spare parts box and got that on there along with a Surly Singleator and voila no more chain skipping!!!

Oh and the bike is a wee bit on the heavy side for being a SS.

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.