Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a good thing or am I not supposed to do this?

Advantage or disadvantages of running either sag or no sag?? Whats the difference??

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
running w/ little/no sag won't allow your fork to extend when you come across ditches, steps, potholes etc.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Suspension has two main tasks, one to absorb the bumps and another to help maintain traction. If you have no sag and your fork is therefore fully extended then the fork is only really able to absorb bumps and can not react to dips in the trail. Not a big issue in a straight line, but may in corners lead to the front tyre loosing traction and sliding out.

You may also not be getting the full travel from your fork and getting a harsh ride. Does your fork ever bottom out?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I run my fork with almost no sag...on my street bike, but the suspesion on that bike is meant to bail me out if i do something stupid and secondly, save my wrists. If this is a trail bike, some sag is your friend (as when your fork is sagged it has positive (compress) and negative (extend) travel). As aforementioned, running your suspension within the recommended range will help get the most out of your suspension, providing better bump compliance and traction over undulating terrain. Start there and tune to your preference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok.. thanks for the reply.

I use almost the entire travel on my fork..... AND i dun do jumps... its a 04 Zoke Z1 FR SL and i've set the pressure pretty high..... its not leaking or anything cos the fork's firm as anything despite not messing with it for more than 6 months....

Maybe i'm just a rough rider that needs to improve on my technique... :madmax:

Is the no sag thing the reason why i feel like i'm about to fly over the bar when i hit a small ditch??

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
Tessaiga said:
Is the no sag thing the reason why i feel like i'm about to fly over the bar when i hit a small ditch??
who knows...
Sag it and find out:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
That fork requires quite a bit of tuning - air pressure and oil volume to work ok. I had the same fork and gave up after too many tuning sessions - could never balance bottom out vs. samll bump compliance w/o harsh top outs..

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Tessaiga said:
Your compression and rebound probably needs adjustment... if your fork has them...

If you have high air pressure and still bottom out increase your compression adjustment. If you are being flung upward after a big compression dip (fork returnig to fast) then increase your rebound dampening. If your fork does not have these features or the adjustments are maxed out you can play with oil weight - lighter oil, fork moves faster, thicker oil, fork moves slower.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.. thanks everyone for your help... will see if its a problem that can be remedied.... it doenst have any rebound adjustment.... FWIW... :p

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
Tessaiga said:
OK.. thanks everyone for your help... will see if its a problem that can be remedied.... it doenst have any rebound adjustment.... FWIW... :p
but has a preload?
you're a riding a pogo-stick attached to a bicycle ;)
keep doin what you're doin... IMO

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
keen said:
That fork requires quite a bit of tuning - air pressure and oil volume to work ok. I had the same fork and gave up after too many tuning sessions - could never balance bottom out vs. samll bump compliance w/o harsh top outs..
Yeah, doesn't it also have negative air? If so, that can affect rebound and top-out also right?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm a bit old-school.
I like very little sag and very little rebound.
I also want the fork to move with very little friction, so I flush them alot and keep them clean.
That makes for a fun feel to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts