Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode Brown's Camp and Sioxan Creek this past weekend 1/27 & 1/28.

1/27 Brown's Camp (Historic Hiking Trail). It was a good ride with about 50% of it riding on hard packed snow ice. I like the trail alot but from reading this "Mtn. Biking Portland" book I bought, It is not nearly as technical as they rate it. There seems to be some more ST other than the Historic Hiking Trail route. I wa the only mtber out there, but there was alot of ATVs.

1/28 Siouxan Creek Trail. This is one beautiful piece of ST going along the crystal clear creek and huge old growth forest. There were about 6 or 7 large tree that have fallen across the trail where you have to get off your bike. The trail has alot of debris, which I can understand why because of the recent storms, but overall I love the trail. One question for some of you, when you start off and go about 2.5 miles, there is an option to take a right on (Trail 140). Is this Trail 140 a good ride?

·
Let's roll.
416 Posts
Trail 140

My buddy and I tried it this past summer, but there was a lot of blowdown (yep...even in summer). We barely got a half mile up (lots of climbing, by the way) and dismounted three or four times.

If I remember correctly, that trail hooks up with Siouxan at the very end, making it a loop. I'm sure it's not that easy, but I seem to remember having the same discussion when we rode it.

I think most people descend on it given its length and grade.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Trail 140 is also called Horsetail ridge. It is a really steep hike a bike climb up, has one nice viewpoint area at the top, then follows an old roadbed to a junction with a spur of the 57something?? road and another trail that goes back down to Siouxon. Neither of these sees much use and therefore gets virtually no maintenance. I have tried these twice and decided that it was just not good enough to warrant the amount of hiking and lifting required.

Hagen said:

1/28 Siouxan Creek Trail. This is one beautiful piece of ST going along the crystal clear creek and huge old growth forest. There were about 6 or 7 large tree that have fallen across the trail where you have to get off your bike. The trail has alot of debris, which I can understand why because of the recent storms, but overall I love the trail. One question for some of you, when you start off and go about 2.5 miles, there is an option to take a right on (Trail 140). Is this Trail 140 a good ride?

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
parts of HHT can be tricky

Hagen said:

1/27 Brown's Camp (Historic Hiking Trail). It was a good ride with about 50% of it riding on hard packed snow ice. I like the trail alot but from reading this "Mtn. Biking Portland" book I bought, It is not nearly as technical as they rate it. There seems to be some more ST other than the Historic Hiking Trail route. I wa the only mtber out there, but there was alot of ATVs.

Part of the HHT, near the Falls, can be quite tricky when it's dry. I have no idea how much is icy/covered now, since I usually avoid the packed mud over there and ride on the north side of the highway this time of year. I have never year made all of the trail just past the falls w/o dabbing a few times (going CW, of course -- the other way is _way_ harder). But I'm a medium-technical rider, I guess. It's just the nature of most trails around here that they just aren't really very technical compared to places like Moab and/or Colorado (where I'm from). But you can still crash in an instant on slick roots, so I'm happy! ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.