Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this forum likes to have the 'vintage philosophy' discussion once in a while, so I wanted to see if there were any folks that are in the same boat as me.

Basically, I think I like 'vintage' MTBs because its the only thing I know. Way back when, I rode just about everyday and raced as much as I could as a junior. I stopped riding completely for 6-7 years and just picked it up again a couple years ago. I dusted of my old ride that I built up between 1994 & 95, slapped on some new tires & cables and got back on the trail. I had forgotten what I was missing. My bike has yet to fail me since and I see no real reason to buy a new bike until some major problem comes along that can't be fixed by modern parts or can only be fixed by parts made of 'unobtainium'.

I just ran at the Sea Otter and had a blast! I hope the MTB stoke continues, cuz this is just too much fun. Plus its fun to read this forum and remember all the cool stuff that was being ridden back in the day.

Thanks for the great forum Rumpfy... this place rocks!

P.S. Here is a really bad pic of my ride.

Attachments

·
slow
7,744 Posts
Ditto

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I worked in and owned shops. Got a good bike that I really enjoyed back in '93 and never felt the need change. Have always been able to hang with my riding buddies. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Buy something good to begin with. I sometimes will catch grief from friends for being too retro, but it is usually when they catch up to me.

I did, however, pick up a used soft tail last fall and I will admit that it is nice for some rides.

·
Registered
779 Posts
that shark will still be "current" for a lot longer.

i too grew up as a junior racing the 80's and early 90's bikes. a lot of it is nostagia but really bikes back then had so much more workmanship. the bikes i own for the most part were built by bike passionate people with mad design skills. i see my bikes as art a lot of the time. when i show somebody one of my bikes i tend to say things like "isn't that sexy" and "look at those sweet lines". as a added bonus they ride just as nice :) . i have absolutely no reason to get a modern mountain bike unless it has more than 4" of front and rear travel (which i do own). maybe the day will come where our bikes are completely obsolete but i dont see it happening too soon.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I saw your Shark up close and personal at the Sea Otter, beautiful bike! and just my size ;) Just ride it as is and snicker when you pass someone on there high zoot full suspension rig.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My ride is getting there... '99 Stumpjumper. IMO a current hardtail isn't much of an improvement, and I'd kill drivetrains on a new bike just as quickly.

Having grown up reading Mountain Bike between the '95-98 era, I do lust after a lot of the paint jobs and colours and components and appearances of those bikes. Still get a bit weak-kneed when I see a '95 Judy XC, a '97 handmade Mantra, a red/yellow Team Issue Cannondale or one of the goofy falling-rate Specialized Ground Controls. It also seemed much more exciting in those days because a one-year difference meant cantis vs. V-Brakes, a Quadra 21 vs. a Bomber Z2, a lugged frame vs. TIG-welded... light-years of improvement versus a change in paint.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
What Mr. Sallen has failed to mention, is that he placed 3rd at this year's Sea Otter, dusting a field of almost 60 other riders, making vintage mtb owners everywhere proud as can be! :D

Shamefully, I rode my 03 Ventana and could only muster a 5th place finish. :(

What was fun, was having sallen and CL up on the starting line with me. We haven't been in a race together in... over 10 years? It was pretty cool. Just like old times...'cept they had the same bikes. ;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
thats right Sallen! show those baggy short wearing, full suspension Ventana riding guys how it's done!

·
Registered
779 Posts
i am ashamed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hondamatic said:
Hahaha, this thread is so much cooler now that I know that. Congrats Sallen!
Thanks Hondamatic... the race was just a lot of fun. Like Mr. Rumpf mentioned, it was really cool to be on the starting line with the same folks I was racing with 10+ years ago. More racing to come this year.

vdubbusrider said:
i am ashamed
I'll admit that I'm a closet roadie too... thats pretty shameful to say in this forum. (hope I didnt open a can of worms) ;)

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,758 Posts
sallen said:
I'll admit that I'm a closet roadie too... thats pretty shameful to say in this forum. (hope I didnt open a can of worms) ;)
I'm a closet MTBer. :)
This forum is my only outlet to talk about off road related things.
The only MTB people in my area talk about the latest and greatest 8" travel bikes.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
sallen said:
ha, ha. I've been out of the closet for a loooooong time. No one on the VRC board will bash you for being a roadie. It's all about BIKES here.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Rumpfy said:
That's not true. I'll totally make fun of you. ;)
give it time. the rumpfmeisterama will be on skinny tires eventually.

i do road too. not too much lately since i don't like my local road riding but i'll still get out there once in a while.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Rumpfy said:
That's not true. I'll totally make fun of you. ;)
Make fun of, yeah, that's expected. But no bashing, okay. I have an in-line adjuster for you. Shoot me an e-mail with your address and I'll send it to you.

Sky - yeah, road riding does suck down there. But you are close enough to where you could get out on the roads in Rancho Santa Fe. There's good riding there. North County's the best though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Drop bars! Skinnies are next!

I rode vintage by default untill a year and a half ago. It's only a matter of time before Rumpfy puts some skinny tires on that Ritchey. I'm sure he checks out spandex on e bay regularly too.
RJ

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
RJG said:
I rode vintage by default untill a year and a half ago. It's only a matter of time before Rumpfy puts some skinny tires on that Ritchey. I'm sure he checks out spandex on e bay regularly too.
RJ
Ha, I can see it now - levis and a t-shirt with a camel back riding on a pristine vintage Colnago - then bashing could be considered. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.