Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
941 Posts
wow.........impressive!
Be interesting to see what the company says?

I cracked 2 hardtail aluminum frames a long time ago........ early 90's and broke a carbon fibre brake lever due to a previous wipeout.
Since then I had no issues but I am careful what I buy.
Nothing to light weight or carbon fibre (never bought into the hype....)
That is just me......

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,056 Posts
XTR and Sram cranks both broken. Wow. You may actually have a legitimate somewhat rational reason to buy a set of eeWings. Could have actually saved you money over breaking both XTR and Sram's.

Do you know how hard it is to work in the phrase "saved you money" and "eeWings" in the same post??
What makes you think he wouldn't break the E-wings too?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,056 Posts
Good point. No guarantees he wouldn't break Saints either, anything can be broken given enough force.

My only reference is my 25 year old set of the original sweet wings, I can't actually vouch for the new ones personally.
Yeah, I can't see what variation of SRAM cranks those are, but XTR is obviously geared towards XC riding. The current XX1 cranks are geared towards XC riding, using a carbon covered metal skeleton, hollow inside. The X01 is more orientated towards enduro, with a foam filled core (don't see it in the pictures above, but I have pictures of it). To further confuse, the current X01 was the previous XX1, so they saved a few grams on the latest version by removing that foam core. I've found the X01 to be very durable, hitting stuff hard, many strikes, etc. Just got back from Whistler and other double-black riding last week. But I have broken a set of previous-gen XX1 (so same as my X01). It was long after they endured many DH races, strikes, hits, years of use, etc. The fact that they broke was not disappointing, they held up great considering. It's the stuff that breaks prematurely or under light-use that is usually frustrating, like all the Race Face Next SL crank arms I've broken.

Anyway, I would say that upping the intended usage and going to a stronger-level of crank is probably a good idea, to that extent, Race Face Atlas, Shimano Saint/Zee, Canfield Components cranks, E13 LT1+, etc. This would seem to make more sense than XC components, given the use...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most of my stuff comes from my teams LBS. I’m running Stylo carbons, hopefully they hold. I think it’s just the combo of 240lbs and ss riding. FTP tested around 350… I regularly hit 1200 watts on my gravel bike. I just installed a powermeter on my ss, will be interesting to see peak watts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.