Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I quit racing XC

12K views 114 replies 54 participants last post by  NH Mtbiker 
#1 ·
The last two years I've been addicted to the "winning" aspect of XC racing. Over the last few months it's become apparent to me that my desire to win and do good and compete started to take up a large portion of time as well as emotional, physical and spiritual energy. I found myself "sold out" to cycling thus staring to neglect my family, business and relationship with God. During this time I found myself getting too crazy and anal about training and winning and somewhere along the line it turned into an obligation rather than doing it to enjoy it. Yeah, my results and fitness felt good but at what price?

It's gone so far that I've given up racing until further notice. I may do a couple more races in the fall for fun but as far as training to win, I'm done.

It's been 2 weeks since my decision and I've missed a lot of riding and an important race. I'll also miss another this weekend. This hurts a bit knowing that all the base miles and hard work will be somewhat for nothing but I I actually feel relieved about my decision. I've had more family time and feel myself wanting to ride to enjoy it rather than like punching a time card. I'm not sure what the future holds for racing but for now I'm "resetting"

Anyone else ever go through this or something similar?

See less See more
#2 ·
2fst4u said:
Anyone who isn't a full-time salaried pro is going to have this type of experience, to some degree or another. Sounds like a "reset" that allows you to find a more appropriate balance point that encompasses all of aspects of your life is warranted, as you have already decided.

You may be surprised about what % of your race capabilities you can retain (for those races which you choose to do) even with a much lighter committment to the training and competition aspect. Sure, in most cases you might give up a couple of positions as it's that attention to detail that really puts a racer on the sharp end of the results, but it's likely you'll discover that you can still do almost as well with much less input. The accumulated miles and years in the legs plus accompanying skills can carry a rider pretty well.

Watch for the slippery slope though, as it's easy to fall back into old habits, especially if you dip back into racing. My best suggestion is to avoid pre-registering for events if at all possible. Stay away from registering or competing for points in any type of series. Instead, pick and choose the events you think will have the biggest fun factor. By not pre-registering if something changes at the last moment with family or other responsibilities, you can just blow it off. There's always another race.

#3 ·
2fst4u said:
The last two years I've been addicted to the "winning" aspect of XC racing. Over the last few months it's become apparent to me that my desire to win and do good and compete started to take up a large portion of time as well as emotional, physical and spiritual energy. I found myself "sold out" to cycling thus staring to neglect my family, business and relationship with God. During this time I found myself getting too crazy and anal about training and winning and somewhere along the line it turned into an obligation rather than doing it to enjoy it. Yeah, my results and fitness felt good but at what price?

It's gone so far that I've given up racing until further notice. I may do a couple more races in the fall for fun but as far as training to win, I'm done.

It's been 2 weeks since my decision and I've missed a lot of riding and an important race. I'll also miss another this weekend. This hurts a bit knowing that all the base miles and hard work will be somewhat for nothing but I I actually feel relieved about my decision. I've had more family time and feel myself wanting to ride to enjoy it rather than like punching a time card. I'm not sure what the future holds for racing but for now I'm "resetting"

sweet blog

#4 ·
2fst4u said:

I have never been stupid enough to let one thing dominate my life...

On the other hand the only thing I have ever won was a nice life.

#5 ·
I went through this about 4 years ago. I moved from sport to expert, and the additional training time really took the fun out of it. I sold my race bike, and got a SS, and just rode whenever I felt like it.

I think it's pretty common, to feel what you are going through. It's hard to not become obsessed, especially if your goal is to win. It's very competitive, and to keep up, you need to be just as intense and even more neurotic than the guys you're lining up against.

I stopped racing at the right time for me; I miss it, and want to race again next year, but my wife, family, and career are better off because I quit when I did. Currently, I do a few races a year, could care less about my results, and just enjoy the fun day of racing and camaraderie. If you want to continue racing, find a way towards better balance in life, even if it means worse race results. I'm assuming you're not pro, your livelihood doesn't depend on racing, so don't do it if it's not enjoyable. If racing half-assed floats your boat, spend less time training, and just enjoy the race atmosphere from the middle, or back even, of the pack. It's OK, really.

#8 ·
I personally don't race to win, I race to compare myself to others and to view the progress. Yet every so often you do feel drained, especially at this point in the season, and feel like giving all up.

My advice is this: take a break and relax, train if you feel like it, keep on riding. The desire to race will come back in a while.

#9 ·
2fst4u said:

I went through something of a similar situation when I raced R/C cars... but in that situation it was more about spending too much money for no return while wasting all my time and getting fat.

Racing bikes provides me my competitive outlet. I am simply a very competitive person. If I weren't racing bikes I would be racing something. (my recent crash nearly relegated me to racing wheelchairs, but I would hit that with the same enthusiasm as I do bikes!) Training keeps me from being a fatf_ck and the benefits i reap from that are WAY better than anything I give up time wise.

If I had family obligations things would be different for me as well. Right now I have to train to try to spend more time with my wife... if she drops me on the ride then I am not getting any quality time with her! :madman:

#10 ·
I don't train but I still race.

I mentioned in another thread that unless you are a paid pro or aspiring to be a paid pro you should just trail ride. Not because it is the best way to be fit but because "training" is work and you really shouldn't be working during your time off.

Honestly I enjoy racing much more now that I don't train. When you train and make sacrifices you put pressure on yourself to perform. When you just show up and pin it there is no pressure.

Note: when I say I don't train I mean I don't do intervals. I still ride my bike a ton but there is no structure.

#12 ·
You probably have (physical) recovery days built in to your training - sounds like now you need some mental recovery days. I don't race a lot, but I ride a lot, including commuting to work. Sometimes when I get burnt out, I need to just 'go for a ride' - for a few rides. Slow rides, group rides, rock rides, family rides, guide rides - whatever. Rides with no purpose at all but to have fun on the bike. Works for me. Best of luck.

#13 ·
I took my first break in years of training high school athletes

Not that I was riding with the fasted ids but I have to be proximate to all the riders for supervision, monitoring, guidance, safety.....stuff. As such my riding was all "training" for years and I was hating it. No fun at all and my riding slowly went way downhill.

I took 2 months off. At age 58 the effects are pretty scary. I climbed back on the bike and started to structure riding again and got off immediately. No way was I going to do that. I hooked up with friends and asked them for support with this stage. Ride, chew the fat, tacos for afters.

I'm in my 3rd week and starting to feel human on the bike again. Distances are increasing as is elevation but only incidentally. Racing? It is the last thing on my mind. Hard efforts? They will come soon enough.

#14 ·
Agree completely

LMN said:
I don't train but I still race.

I mentioned in another thread that unless you are a paid pro or aspiring to be a paid pro you should just trail ride. Not because it is the best way to be fit but because "training" is work and you really shouldn't be working during your time off.

Honestly I enjoy racing much more now that I don't train. When you train and make sacrifices you put pressure on yourself to perform. When you just show up and pin it there is no pressure.

Note: when I say I don't train I mean I don't do intervals. I still ride my bike a ton but there is no structure.
+1. I've been racing for about 5 years, but I've never done timed intervals or repeated a hill more than once or twice. I don't usually win anything too serious, but I have a lot of fun. I'm in it much more for the experience than the result.

A lot more focus on training would only yield results that are a little better anyways.

#15 ·
"Anyone else ever go through this or something similar?"

Yep, I sure did ... see the first line of my sig

After 8 years of racing I did my last race in 2001 and just started riding for the fun of it and I am much better off for it. I do a few local Time Trials and club races here and there because its a great group of people to hang out with, other than that I just enjoy riding and not worrying about who is faster.

Nothing ruins a good ride like a race breaking out

#16 ·
PissedOffCil said:
I personally don't race to win, I race to compare myself to others and to view the progress. Yet every so often you do feel drained, especially at this point in the season, and feel like giving all up.

My advice is this: take a break and relax, train if you feel like it, keep on riding. The desire to race will come back in a while.
Best advice of the post right there! I agree with pissedoff, I compare myself to others and monitor my personal progress. I do have to keep myself in check as I'm competitive. Things happen in life and at least you realized you needed a break and are taking it. I raced XC in my mid twenties, then gave it up and started racing DH at 29, got agitated as I was getting smoked in semi-pro, quit for a couple years, started DH again, had a kid and quit DH to start XC again!!! Through it all though I just kept riding for fun - no road biking, no hill repeats, no intervals. Good luck with it - maybe you just got a little burned out and will feel the fun again soon.

#19 ·
2fst4u said:

Hey man, at least when training for racing you were focusing on something that actually existed rather than focusing on your "relationship with god". Riding a bike is much better than talking to yourself.

#24 ·
I broke and hyper-extended my thumb about 8 weeks ago. I've been able to ride the road bike, but my time on the mtb has been limited. I wasn't feeling burnt out at the time of the accident, but I've really enjoyed just riding these past couple of months. More to the point all my bike time is bike time, not 4-5 hours driving, and a couple hours hanging around the venue to ride my bike for 2 hours. I missed some of my favorite races, and now that I'm recovered enough to maybe give it a go (just in time for the races w/ little elevation gain:madmax: ), but would I rather a 4-5 hour ride or commit a greater amount of time for a 2 hour race?

#26 ·
2fst4u said:
Guys, all the feedback has been very insightful thanks sooo much! I didn't realize that so many other dealt with the same thing! The comment about no structured training since I'm not getting paid makes sense. Just riding to ride and enjoying a few more races is a good goal for now!
Give us an update in a while, if you don't mind. I'm curious to see how it works out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.