Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my bike back from my lbs, i still cant ride from the crash a month ago so i decided to detail my bike and make it shiny again, where i went wrong was wiping the seat post down and striping it of all oil, the same for the seat stay, well the cleaner i was using reacted with the bare aluminum and cold welded the post in place, yea i for got to give it a coat of lube before i put it back, it took over an hour to pry ther post out, and another 30-40 minutes with a dremel and bench grinder to remove the slag,

any one here ever have this happen or is it just me lol ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Damn! What cleaner were you using?
I've never had that issue, but then again I just stick with Simple Green for most cleaning jobs. If it's really screwed up in there, you might be able to take the frame to a machine shop if you need bore the seat tube, but that's kinda sketchy. Make sure your frame is still in good shape....a weakened frame is not something you want to take chances with.

·
Cat Herder
108 Posts
Happened to a guy I knew too who hadn't put some grease on his seatpost. I seem to remember that he had to have the seat tube bored out. Which is scary.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
Ive heard that if you leave simple green on too long it will damage aluminum & paint
of course, even dry 2 different metals in contact will fuse, another good reason for a black Thompson post

1 - 5 of 5 Posts