Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a road tube. Yeah, I’m not above patching tubes in the one bike I own that still utilizes tubes.

As for mountain bikes, I consider tubes to be as archaic as the front defailure. I turned that corner years ago… thank goodness.
=sParty

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,865 Posts
I'm planning on patching a slow puncture on the front innertube of my 1x11 hardtail mtb that doesn't have a dropper post! 🤷‍♂️

Then again at least I don't ride a road bike so all good. 🙊
You need a front derailleur on there STAT! :p
(yes, even if it doesn't do anything so feel free to mount it anywhere you like)

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,865 Posts
Also, I've patched 3 tubes (and one tire) in the past few weeks. Had a rash of cuts / sidewall slashes and if I'd been running tubeless it would've meant walking at least 2 of those so yeah... Fortunately , the leaves will be coming down soon and I'll be back on slow, thick sidewalled tires so these just need to survive another month anyway.

·
Class Clown
3,834 Posts
Bro, I run tubes all day on my commuter. Who doesn't like changing a tube on the side of the road? Street cred.

Actually hit something nasty the other day and sliced right through the rear tire, used one of those boot patches to get home.

Speaking of home, that's where I pull out the Slime rubber cement and circle patches to add a 3rd or 4th patch to a tube.

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
It was a road tube. Yeah, I'm not above patching tubes in the one bike I own that still utilizes tubes.

As for mountain bikes, I consider tubes to be as archaic as the front defailure. I turned that corner years ago… thank goodness.
=sParty
You need to turn the corner on road bike tires too, tubes on those are just as archaic as they are on mtbs imo :p

·
Cycologist
16,921 Posts
I had to order a patch kit a couple of months ago as I was getting low. I've got a whole drawer full of road tubes that "just need a patch". But I rarely get flats. Pretty sure the sealant is mostly dried up in my hardtail I rode last weekend but the tires are still sealed and I'm about to swap out the wheelset so I decided I'd risk it (plus I carry a tube).

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need to turn the corner on road bike tires too, tubes on those are just as archaic as they are on mtbs imo :p
Good to know. I worry about the higher pressures of road use.

I retired from REI just a year and a half ago. At that time, the REI store where I worked would not install nor work on road tubeless. This wasn't REI's corporate policy, just the policy at the store where I worked. That attitude set me back.
=sParty

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Was considering converting my road bike to tubeliss with my last tire purchase but figured I just wanted simplicity and to with what I know for now. With that I went with a wider higher tech tire and my god the differences in speed are incredible.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
Good to know. I worry about the higher pressures of road use.

I retired from REI just a year and a half ago. At that time, the REI store where I worked would not install nor work on road tubeless. This wasn't REI's corporate policy, just the policy at the store where I worked. That attitude set me back.
=sParty
Road tubeless is awesome, I'll never run more than 70psi again even for racing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm looking forward to trying tubeless on my road bike. I have Ultegra 6800 wheels which are not only tubeless ready, but don't even require taping. Just smooth as a baby's butt inside the rim. Tape has been a problem area for me on gravel type bikes, so this is awesome.

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
It was a road tube. Yeah, I'm not above patching tubes in the one bike I own that still utilizes tubes.

=sParty
Congrats.

Have you never had to stick a tube into a cut/torn/____ MTB tire to get home?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
will patch road tube once, to get home
then chuck it for a new toob

don't wanna invest in road tubeless, but all my MTB is toobless

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats.

Have you never had to stick a tube into a cut/torn/____ MTB tire to get home?
I sure have, Mike. So I always carry a tube, even on mountain bike rides.

But that tube doesn't have to be patched when I get home. Just has to have the sealant washed off. ?

And to answer your next question - yes, I have patched a tubeless mountain bike tire. But not in the field.
=sParty

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,865 Posts
And to answer your next question - yes, I have patched a tubeless mountain bike tire. But not in the field.
=sParty
Curious how it worked out. I've tried a few methods with limited success. Latest was a patch inside/out just to get home and the outer started to peel after just a couple miles so it's in limbo until I can do a permanent fix or it gets retired.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
For a permanent fix I vulcanize a thick piece of rubber (from an old truck tube) to the area. On trail I have some sections of a plastic bottle (that match a tires profile) I cut out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.