Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an XTC2 cause i found a great price for it but then found out later that I could get an NRS2 w/o disc brakes for $50 more. Should I cancel the order and make the switch? I havent tried out the NRS2 yet and I will but i just wanted to get peoples opinion. I am a total newbie to mountain biking and i plan to ride easy trails for now since i am totally out of shape. What would you guys get?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
abmw said:
I ordered an XTC2 cause i found a great price for it but then found out later that I could get an NRS2 w/o disc brakes for $50 more. Should I cancel the order and make the switch? I havent tried out the NRS2 yet and I will but i just wanted to get peoples opinion. I am a total newbie to mountain biking and i plan to ride easy trails for now since i am totally out of shape. What would you guys get?
My opinion is to stay with the XTC-2. For the riding you describe, a Hardtail (HT) bike will be great, and you can hone your skills a lot more with it. I hav the XTC2 and love it.

Eventually you may want a Full Suspension (FS) rig, but if you take time on the HT it will pay off. Also, in today's world, I would not want a FS w/out disc. FS might let you go a bit faster, but that is all for naught if you don't have full confidence in your stopping.

Final thought, for the same dollars, you're getting a lot better bike (components, etc) with the HT.

There are countless other reasons that would support my opinion (and also as many to counter it), do yourself a favor and read some of the MANY HT vs. FS Posts on this and the general board. It is even easier for you, since the bikes are otherwise similar (less variables).

Just my opinion, nobody can really answer this except you...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I second Bmateo....

Being totally newb as you say a FS will give you more headaches than joys.

I would say this is like going into motorcycling. You gotta go step by step.

First.. a entry level HT, then a entry level FS and then.. whatever you prefer.

If the XtC has dics onboard... that's your bike.

Instead of entering into upgradeitis (a common ill among bikers) save your bucks for your next bike. Spend only in pedals, saddle and grips maybe. Save for the new bike from NOW.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
To the OP, are you able to try both bikes? The NRS 2 is an entry-level full-suspension, and apparently an older model, maybe a decade old by now. I'd be leery about buying such an old suspension bike. You don't know how well the suspension has been maintained, it may be difficult to obtain parts to service that suspension, and the technology has improved so much since then that I'd want something a little bit closer to newer.

So for different reasons from those expressed so far, I do lean toward staying the course with the hardtail purchase. The ideal however is if you can test-ride both bikes and then choose whichever one you like the best.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,146 Posts
You guys are a little late to the party. OP asked the question more than 10 years ago...just sayin'.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,146 Posts
LOL! Oh my. I hadn't even noticed. I've been caught out by thread-resurrection. Well, that explains the decade-old NRS 2.
I almost fell for it, too! I actually had an old NRS2 and was going to comment - kinda liked it till the top tube met a tree...much prefer my Anthem these days (even though it's an '08).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts