Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I really like Santa Cruz as a company. When I did have a problem with my Heckler, they took care of it quickly. I learned that if you order a color (such as my Gangrene Heckler) that they discontinue you cannot get a replacement part in that color and you'll have to pay to have the other part of the frame painted to match the replacement part. That irritated me but they are pretty fair on the repaint price - $90 for a front triangle. So for that reason I really, really wanted a grey anodized frame but instead went for black powdercoat. There is no way I'm breaking a rear triangle and getting stuck with some funky color combo again!

I'm planning on sticking a Float 36 RC2 with a 1.5" steerer... I noticed a lot of you Nomad owners are still using 1 1/8" steerers but if I'm going to pay a weight penalty for the big headtube and heavy headset parts, I'm going to benefit from the 1.5" parts too!

I also ordered it with the DHX 5.0 Coil. After getting the Heckler with an RP23 and hating that then **loving** the bike with a DHX 4.0 coil I wasn't going to chance it on another air shock although I'd have loved to try the DHX Air which I really liked on my Enduro.

So - I'm going to swap the parts from my Enduro on. It was the only way to afford the bike. Pretty much the parts will be:

XT cranks
110 silver polished headset
Float 36 RC2, 1.5
XO rear der
XO shifters
XTR front der
Thompson seatpost
TruVativ AKA stem at first
Monkey Carbon DH bars
XTR brakes for now
clamp on grips
WTB saddle
XT wheelset (I love these things) with Nevegal 2.35 tires
Stinger chain tensioner by Black Spire

I guess that's all the important stuff. Anyone have any comments on the build ideas?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brickbrick said:
"110 silver polished headset
Float 36 RC2, 1.5"

Is that the cc 110 or something else. I didn't know they made a 1.5 110.
Yes, the Cane Creek 110. They are good people and the 110 is a fantastic headset. The new 2009 Double X headset is a regular bottom cup and a flush top cup. I think that would be killer... wish the 110 was that way but it is worth it for the quality of the 110. I think the King 1.5 is pretty ugly.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 09 Nomad showed up yesterday with the Double X 1.5. I would have opted for the 110 1.5, if I had known. Oh well.....

THE BIKE IS AMAZING. I'm running coils from and rear and this thing is incredible. Very balanced, climbs great, and simply glides over rough stuff. Only had one ride on local trail so far, but soooooooo psyched about the possibilities.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brickbrick said:
My 09 Nomad showed up yesterday with the Double X 1.5. I would have opted for the 110 1.5, if I had known. Oh well.....

THE BIKE IS AMAZING. I'm running coils from and rear and this thing is incredible. Very balanced, climbs great, and simply glides over rough stuff. Only had one ride on local trail so far, but soooooooo psyched about the possibilities.
I'm glad to hear that you like your new bike. What front fork did you go with? 1.5 steerer? FOX Van 36 or Lyrik or ?? I like a plush bike with no platform... what style do you like. I assume not much platform if any since you like coil front and rear.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Loll said:
Avoid DHX Air. I heard alot of bad things about it on this forum.
I running a DHX Air on my Nomad mark 2 and Im not having any of the problems which plagued the previous Nomad incarnations. The suspension feels nicely supported throughout the stroke with a very smooth ramping up on the big impacts.

·
Registered
247 Posts
gticlay said:
I'm glad to hear that you like your new bike. What front fork did you go with? 1.5 steerer? FOX Van 36 or Lyrik or ?? I like a plush bike with no platform... what style do you like. I assume not much platform if any since you like coil front and rear.
Thanks!!!
Vivid 5.1 in rear and Van 36 (RC2) 1.5 in front. Without even trying to go light, the bike is only ~32.5 pounds and very, very nimble. I previously ran air front and back and ran things pretty stiff to handle tight/techy stuff. Now I think I prefer to mow over everything.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brickbrick said:
Vivid 5.1 in rear and Van 36 (RC2) 1.5 in front. Without even trying to go light, the bike is only ~32.5 pounds and very, very nimble. I previously ran air front and back and ran things pretty stiff to handle tight/techy stuff. Now I think I prefer to mow over everything.
The vivid looks like a fantastic shock. How do you like it? I was going to sell off some golf gear and get either that or the ccdb. If they don't sell ti springs for the ccdb anymore then I'd go with the vivid for sure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So far, so good. The shock is badass. The only question might be how long is stays that way given some of the RS issues of the past. I was soooo close to getting the CCDB, but just couldn't justify the cost.

BTW, from what I understand, CC no longer stocks ti springs, but there are still after market options.

·
Registered
116 Posts
good to hear about the vivid...I ride an heckler with fox r shock and I am definitely not happy with that shock ...so I want to change to a vivid 5.1 with nuke proof ti spring...seems that there are only positive experiences with the vivid...so far...

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
brickbrick said:

I just ordered a nomad and asked about the 110, was told by my tech that the 110 wouldn't fit and had to go with the Double X 1.5?? Is this right??

·
legal alien
118 Posts
Red PeeKay said:
I just ordered a nomad and asked about the 110, was told by my tech that the 110 wouldn't fit and had to go with the Double X 1.5?? Is this right??
I sure hope not because this is the headset I'm going to spec as well. I cannot see how it could possibly not fit or what that even means given a 1.5 headset and a 1.5 head tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.