Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum so the answers I'm looking for could already be posted here somewhere,I just don't have a spare week to look for them! I am 6'4'' 280 and dropping. I currently ride a Trek 4300 26" hard tail. It's been great, but I keep shredding the drive train. So now it's time to upgrade!! I am interested in the GF Paragon or the X Caliber. More than anything I need a solid drive train, fork, wheel hubs, etc. I was sold on the X Cal but then I started hearing about the wheel's not holding up under the weight of us fluffier riders and now I'm skeptical.
Please relate to me your experiences with 29ers. The good the bad and the ugly. I'm also interested in Salsa Dos Niner. Any advice or tips you could pass on would be hugely appreciated. I plan to get the new bike in August.

·
local jackass
931 Posts
i know they are heavy but when you get a bike look into some Mavic DeeTracks
they are bomb proof im 260 un geared and i ride extremely hard on my bikes and i havent even needed them trued yet after almost a year

what is your price range for a new bike that will help us help you!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What do you mean 'shredding the drivetrain'?

You might just be changing gears badly. I'm 30 lbs lighter than you and have never 'shredded a drivetrain' in 13 years of mountainbiking. What are you doing to that bike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer the first question, I'm looking at spending $2000 max.
It was actually both the owners of the LBS that almost in unison said "time to upgrade."
As far as shredding the drivetrain, I have already snapped 3 freewheel hubs, the last of which was a Deore, it lasted a week. I am not hard shifting. I was already in my selected gear when I got to the bottom of the climb. As soon as I get almost to the top,SNAP goes the freewheel. I'm also on my second crank set. The second ring on the original crank set kept getting bent teeth here and there and because it was a stamped set we ended up just putting on a Deore. This is far better and has been great so far.
Thank you guys for your input so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

After much soul searching I am having a Niner MCR built up with SLX drive-train Rock Shox Reba front shock,and 285 75 R16 wheels. Actually I don't remember the wheel set group but I have been assured it will be big boy approved. Total cost looking to come in right at $2500.

·
Registered
110 Posts
SC

Not sure you still need this but here it goes...

I recently picked up a 29er (GF X-Cal). I ride it to work daily and love it. It is a different ride than the 26". For me, the 29er doesn't feel as nimble (specifically on technical single-track) but rolls over everything else much more smoothly. I am thinking about going tubeless to see how it impacts the handling.

Good luck with your build up.

MG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.