Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to Muleshoe with Dustin for a "training" ride today.

Gorgeous weather. Check.
29ers ready to roll. Check.
Keeping up with Dustin. Well...

See that blur of Dustin in the last pic? That's my general visual impression of our ride today. Except of course when he stopped and waited for me to catch up.

*phew*

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's been a few years since I was a serious racer, and boy, did I feel it today! But it was still a fun ride; I don't mind pushing myself to meet a challenge. And I'm sure my character has been duly built, or something of the sort. ;)

On our second lap, I requested that we pause long enough to take a few shots in a couple of places. And here they are.

After we were finished, and I was drinking everything in sight and stretching my over-taxed muscles, we were treated to a brief visit with the trail steward for that area, Mark. He had been out doing some branch-trimming while we were riding, and wrapped it up about the same time we did. We sure do appreciate all the work that he does on that trail system, as well as other trails in the area. Thanks, Mark! :thumbsup:

And thanks, Dustin, for inviting me along for one of your "training" rides. I had a blast!

No, really. :D

Attachments

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
Some nice pics there as usual Ms scorp - like the cloud effects.

I like to ride with someone a bit stronger than me on a regular basis as I am inherently lazy and usually go well within me comfort zone, which is not great for maintaining fitness. A faster rider in front gives that little incentive to try harder. The ideal is three or four more intensive rides in succession just before going away for a riding trip as that can make a big difference.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tor-y-Foel said:
Some nice pics there as usual Ms scorp - like the cloud effects.

I like to ride with someone a bit stronger than me on a regular basis as I am inherently lazy and usually go well within me comfort zone, which is not great for maintaining fitness. A faster rider in front gives that little incentive to try harder. The ideal is three or four more intensive rides in succession just before going away for a riding trip as that can make a big difference.
Thanks, Tor-y-Foel. The sky was *so* pretty that day; hope I captured it, somewhat.

I like riding with all sorts of folks, and chasing those fast ones is always good training. But I admit that for the last few years, "training" has not been my focus. I wouldn't call it laziness; just a different approach than I previously had. But that ride with Dustin woke that sleepy racing beast, I fear, because I've already been formulating speed workouts for my schedule. :)

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mojo Man said:
WOW, are those current pictures from the end of December? In your last post you said you ride somewhere in Austin Texas?

SWEEET
Yep. And yep. Good stuff, eh?

Winter consists of warm spells interrupted for a few days by cooler spells. Last week it was highs in the 70s and 80s, then Sunday we had a couple of days of highs around 40, then today we start creeping back up again. We get *lots* of riding days in Austin, and we are very, very grateful for it.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TooManyToyz said:
Nice shots. That's one of the few trails in the Austin area I really miss now that I'm in Denver.

ScorpianWoman - Claire(sp) that raced ultras?
Yes.

(And how could you not miss BCGB??)

Anyway, BMYCWB (Before My Youngest Child Was Born, which was 2003) I was focusing on adventure racing (I preferred the 24- to 36-hour ones.), and did long mountain bike races for training.

So, do I know you?

·
Registered
896 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
Yep. And yep. Good stuff, eh?

Winter consists of warm spells interrupted for a few days by cooler spells. Last week it was highs in the 70s and 80s, then Sunday we had a couple of days of highs around 40, then today we start creeping back up again. We get *lots* of riding days in Austin, and we are very, very grateful for it.
What are the summers like? Based on the warm winter riding spells I would imagine that most of your riding would have to be done in the morning or early evening?

David

·
Heathen
768 Posts
Mojo Man said:
What are the summers like? Based on the warm winter riding spells I would imagine that most of your riding would have to be done in the morning or early evening?

David
When I was still there I usually switched mostly to the road bike during the really hot months. When we did ride mtb in the summer, it was early or late.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
that blur of ...
Sounds familiar ;)

We had a little ride yesterday: I had suggested a starting point and general direction and therefore got to ride in front most of the time for the two hours+. At a couple of points some of the guys suggested they'd like to hit a piece of trail full speed... All I could do was follow the tyre prints in the snow (one of the spots was unfamiliar to me) :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.