Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking strongly about getting a set of these and I have one last leg of research to perform before I "pull the trigger" on them - REVIEWS!

I've searched here several times, reading thoroughly, and can't find and review's that give me what i'm looking for - how well do they work?????????????? :confused: Are they flexy? Do they have any bushing problems making them a pita to set-up? Do they continuously need tinkering to be "just so"? Hell, compare them against something else - I don't care. Better, worse, same but lighter.... anything.

Most of the info I have found so for is predominantly dated '04 and i'm certain that there must have been SOME people out there that have something they can add since then. I can't believe for one minute that Nino is the ONLY person using these and the lack of this info is the only thing keeping me from buying them at this point.

Let me know.

PATIA!

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
not really

disappointed but, yes, the setup isn't exactly easy, the pads run real close to the rim. Specially in the back the cable has almost no travel, I feel the arms are so long that sometimes the noddle touches the opposite arm.
I bought them already tuned weighting 231 gr, great improvement over my SD Ti in terms of weight, stopping power I would say on par, but initial setup is difficult.
I'll probably tune the avid and put them back.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doccoraje said:
disappointed but, yes, the setup isn't exactly easy, the pads run real close to the rim. Specially in the back the cable has almost no travel, I feel the arms are so long that sometimes the noddle touches the opposite arm.
I bought them already tuned weighting 231 gr, great improvement over my SD Ti in terms of weight, stopping power I would say on par, but initial setup is difficult.
I'll probably tune the avid and put them back.
Interesting. Can I ask what it is about the initial set-up that's difficult, specifically? I'm curious, as my narrow-minded thinking (inexperience with these brake's specifically) has me thinking that they'd be like any other v-brake out there, in terms of set-up. :confused:

Let me know if you could.

PATIA!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
l also would like to hear the reviews. I'm in the same boat. I have been led astray once by Nino for following his NBX Lite recommendations. Now I'm thinking about just waiting for the Extralite Ultrabrakes to come out.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Interesting. Can I ask what it is about the initial set-up that's difficult, specifically? I'm curious, as my narrow-minded thinking (inexperience with these brake's specifically) has me thinking that they'd be like any other v-brake out there, in terms of set-up. :confused:

Let me know if you could.

PATIA!
earlier sets i sold had too little spacers. i then added nylon spacers to my tuningkits which got the arms farther out. they then were parallel when touching the rims where without adding a spacer the arms would look a bit inwards.

the new sets i sell already have a thicker spacer so there is no need to fiddle around anymore.

initial setup is different because of the missing linear spring that you can unhook on regular v-brakes. the Vueltas, once mounted on the bike , always have tension on the arms. so you have to mount the pads with the arms already on the bike. no big deal, just different.

the return spring of the Vuelta is just like the ones you had on cantilever brakes years ago: a tiny wounded spring just around the cantiboss. it is a bit weaker than the linear springs and therefore needs slick cables. with good, slick cables this is no problem. if you are the one who doesn't take care of your cables friction you might end up adjusting the return springs. just have good cables and they will perform flawless.

other than that there is no difference to any other V-brake. i still use the 1st set on my Scale and they still perform just like on the 1st day.

pictured below with new, lighter steel bolts: 261g
and with my tuningkit installed: 232g ( they weighed 228g in the past but now with the thicker spacers they got a couple of grams heavier)

and here's the classifieds link:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=95971&query=retrieval

Attachments

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Performance wise, these are equal to my Avids, no better nor worse. Good feel, no real flex when used with good levers (I'm using Paul's). But they are a whole lot lighter. I didn't find the setup to be all that difficult, no more so than any other brake really, except that I added an additional aluminum washer or two to the padcarrier bolt, which brings the clearance out to what other v-brakes have. The only real difference performance wise is with the return spring, which is weaker than others, but the hex bolt works well for fine adjustments and if you keep your cables in good shape (like you should anyway), it makes no difference anyway. Mine have been working good and trouble free for 2 years now. I'm very happy with them.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Compared to Deore's and Avid's, I found mine to be harder to set up flex-free. I'd almost look around for firmer or thinner brake pads. They don't seem to hold their centred position nearly as well as the other brakes. Funny, I never thought about them lacking the lineair spring!
Unless you like a mushy high-power lever feel, get levers with lots of cable pull (long V arms). The Vuelta levers are mid-pull I'd say. With my XT levers (lighter anyway) it feel pretty good and racey. That was before I adjusted he pads to perfection, next ride could take a while. Mine are 242g, al tuning kit and including the noodles and bends, as I've always weighed my brakes that way.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no flex!

Cloxxki said:
Compared to Deore's and Avid's, I found mine to be harder to set up flex-free. I'd almost look around for firmer or thinner brake pads. They don't seem to hold their centred position nearly as well as the other brakes. Funny, I never thought about them lacking the lineair spring!
Unless you like a mushy high-power lever feel, get levers with lots of cable pull (long V arms). The Vuelta levers are mid-pull I'd say. With my XT levers (lighter anyway) it feel pretty good and racey. That was before I adjusted he pads to perfection, next ride could take a while. Mine are 242g, al tuning kit and including the noodles and bends, as I've always weighed my brakes that way.
sorry Jan-gerrit,
the Vueltas have NO flex at all! what flexes is your frame because the Vueltas have a longer leverage and thus more power to flex your cantistuds outwards when squeezed hard.
but you are right that the Vuelta Brakelevers are too flexy, but he wasn't asking about them. the brakearms alone don't have any flex in them.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
MaLóL said:
look somewhere else, there are much better brakes in the market.
maybe better but not lighter. since this is the save some weight forum weight is a big concern and that's where the Vueltas shine.

right now only the Steinbach brakes are lighter but those stink BIG time. they flex to a degree where i would rate them dangerous....if the Extralites will be as light as announced has to be seen and if they will perform good is also unknown.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
In stead of flex I should have written "sponge" or something. I just found pad setup harder than normal. Avid are instant to offer a rock-hard lever feel, which I've grown to like. The longer arms seems to make it harder to get that same feleing I like. I haven't tried the levers. Maybe someday on a Jones H-bar for extra reach.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Cloxxki said:
In stead of flex I should have written "sponge" or something. I just found pad setup harder than normal. Avid are instant to offer a rock-hard lever feel, which I've grown to like. The longer arms seems to make it harder to get that same feleing I like. I haven't tried the levers. Maybe someday on a Jones H-bar for extra reach.
it's a combination of longer brakearms which make for a slightly longer pull, more power of the long arms which flex the cantistuds more than other brakes and maybe your levers that aren't as sturdy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my opinion

I've raced Vueltas the last racing season (20 races) and I will use them again next year
because they are really light and not really much more trouble to set up than a standard brake.
I didn't do any maintenance and very little re-adjusting but then I've only used them
in races and race-preparation rides (2600 km). I would prefer the performance of the Avids
(just a matter of taste, really) but the Vueltas do their Job (with good pads) and I don't
want to brake too much anyway, when I am racing. ;-)

They are being produced again under the name "Miranda" now:
http://miranda.art-collection.com.tw/
They are still looking for an Agent in North America!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Roger G said:
I've raced Vueltas the last racing season (20 races) and I will use them again next year
because they are really light and not really much more trouble to set up than a standard brake.
I didn't do any maintenance and very little re-adjusting but then I've only used them
in races and race-preparation rides (2600 km). I would prefer the performance of the Avids
(just a matter of taste, really) but the Vueltas do their Job (with good pads) and I don't
want to brake too much anyway, when I am racing. ;-)

They are being produced again under the name "Miranda" now:
http://miranda.art-collection.com.tw/
They are still looking for an Agent in North America!
Very intersting. The Miranda website doesn't list the weight though. Hopefully someone will distribute in the US and prices will be reasonable. Light-Bikes maybe, DirtBoy?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
doccoraje said:
Nino explained better than I could the initial setup problems.
What would be the width of the nylon washers you are using with the new tuningkits?
I'm sure that will cure the problem of arms almost touching when compressed.
well - just ANY shim will cure your poor setup! just put it between padcarrier and spacer like shown in the picture below.

the nylon washers aren't needed anymore since the new standard inner spacers are much thicker and padcarriers too. that's the reason the latest brakes are 4g heavier...but since i still have such spacers i include them in the tuningkits anyway. just in case.

the actual padcarriers as said are thicker than before and therefore also a bit heavier. older ones weighed 33g, actual ones are 38g. however by dremelling them you can save another 15g. i got mine to weigh 23g. with such padcarriers the Vueltas weigh just 223g.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.