Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
This is my little problem. I own a 2012 Trek 4500 Disc and unfortunately, among other things (few..like the saddle), I don't like so much the tires and also I'm not so confident in them when cornering and on a rough terrain. So, the rims which this bike is equipped are the Bontrager AT-850 Disc (26"). What I cannot find on the internet is the maximum size of the tyre I can put on the rims...now they are 2.1 (Bontrager XR2). I'd like to know if it's possible to put wider tires(2.3 or so).
Thanks a lot!
Vali

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
Measure the internal width of your rim and get back to us. Or at least the external width if you can't take off the tires. FWIW I ran a 2.35 on a slim Campagnolo Atek rim last winter without problem. The rim was like ~19mm or so external. Not much.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Hi there,
This is my little problem. I own a 2012 Trek 4500 Disc and unfortunately, among other things (few..like the saddle), I don't like so much the tires and also I'm not so confident in them when cornering and on a rough terrain. So, the rims which this bike is equipped are the Bontrager AT-850 Disc (26"). What I cannot find on the internet is the maximum size of the tyre I can put on the rims...now they are 2.1 (Bontrager XR2). I'd like to know if it's possible to put wider tires(2.3 or so).
Thanks a lot!
Vali
You are limited by frame/ fork clearance, not the rims.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again :)
Thanks guys for answers. The fork is the one that bike came with: SR Suntour XCM V3.
I cannot post links yet, but these are the infos from their website:

I.C.E. :N/A
Travel: 80 or 100 or 120
System: Coil spring / Hydraulic Remote speed-lock
Lower: New alloy monocoque
Design: Leading axle
Dustseal: Metal inserted type
Leg Color: Gloss black, Matt black, White w/ heat transfer type decals
Crown: Alloy
Pitch: 130mm
Integrated HD: Semi ID type / 44mm
Stanchion tube: STKM
Stanchion tube finish: CP finish
Finish: Black
Right Side: Hydraulic lock-out cartridge
Left Side: Coil spring
Steerer tube: STKM
Length (w/o thread): 255
Crown race diameter: 30
Wheel size: 26"
Brake: Disc (Post mount type: for 160mm direct mount) & V-brake type
Preload adjuster: Yes
Diameter: 30mm
Note: Disc only type bottom case available
Weight: 2650g
max. disc diameter: 185mm

Hope this info help :)
Vali

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
2.3" is almost never a problem on current-model mountain bikes.

Look for problems at the fork crown, seatstay arch, chainstay arch, and around the front derailleur mechanism. I'd expect you to have a ton of clearance, but if things are close, it may be a no-go. You're only going to be giving up about .2", of that extra room, maybe a little more or less depending on the tread pattern and casing size of those tires.

If you're not using the lowest pressure you can get away with, experiment some more with that. If you pinch flat, it was too low. Use about 5 psi more. Don't worry about what's on the tire sidewalls.

Stock tires are often pretty crappy, though, so I wouldn't be too surprised if you're a lot happier with something else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm back :)...I made some measurements today. The only data I am missing now is: the width of a 2.35 tyre. But I guess it depends much on the company that produces it and on how much is inflated. But if some of u can give me some approximate values, will be much appreciated.
Vali

P.s. At some guy, I've found these values that he measured.

Ignitor 2.1 Exception 26 x 2.1" 1.785" (4.534 cm) I'm from EU, so I use metric system...lol
Ignitor 2.35 Maxxpro 26 x 2.35" 1.970" (5.00 cm)
I don't really know where (point) he measured these values, because my Bontrager 2.1 have an aprox.width of 5,4 cm. I measured at the widest possible point on the tyre.

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
I had two tires coming up at 60mm width. One was 2.4 and the other 2.35

If your frame has at least 65mm width, I wouldn't sweat it. Just be sure your wheel is centered ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx, David...this comes in handy. So, between my narrowest fork points there's approx. 8.5 cm and between the narrowest frame points (where my actual tyre sits now) there's approx. 7cm. So a 2.35 will fit nicely.:D

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
Most MTB frames are designed to take at least a 60mm wide rear tire. Heck, I ran a 2.3 on my winter bike, which is made out of a CCM frame... Not your typical MTB frame lol.

But do you really need a 2.35 ? Can't you get away with a 2.1 instead ? Less weight means faster acceleration and better control over braking. I'd use a wider in the front since you get a lot more stability and control on the way down, but you rear tire is pretty much only for traction at this point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, David...and of course all others :). I read your advice and also spoke with a friend who suggest almost the same thing. Today I bought a Maxxis ADvantage Aramid (foldable) 2.1 for the rear and on friday I will buy the same tyre but 2.25 for the front wheel.
I hope the difference in width will not be so big that the bike to look like a tractor or so :)). The tires are from different stores...
All the best to all of you and thanks once again ;)
Happy ridin'

Vali

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
Tire width difference won't matter, unless you can by some sort of magic see both tires at the same time when you're riding ;)

And you're welcome :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha ha...I'm back. Now, this is a funny thing. Today I went to buy the front tyre (2.25). At the shop, one guy from there said to me that they don't have ADvantage 2.25 but was very happy to show me another model, from WTB: the Wolverine. Ok, ok, I said, but the rear tyre I already bought it, so I don't want to be one tyre plus.And I proposed to make a trade, to pay a difference from one tyre and the second one, full price. The ADvantage 2.1 was still in original package, untouched :). So I made the deal, and everybody was happy in the end. So, tomorrow, I will have a pair of WTB Wolverine 2.2 :D. Oh, I didn't mentioned that the price of these tires was reduced :D.
All the best ;)

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Ha ha...I'm back. Now, this is a funny thing. Today I went to buy the front tyre (2.25). At the shop, one guy from there said to me that they don't have ADvantage 2.25 but was very happy to show me another model, from WTB: the Wolverine. Ok, ok, I said, but the rear tyre I already bought it, so I don't want to be one tyre plus.And I proposed to make a trade, to pay a difference from one tyre and the second one, full price. The ADvantage 2.1 was still in original package, untouched :). So I made the deal, and everybody was happy in the end. So, tomorrow, I will have a pair of WTB Wolverine 2.2 :D. Oh, I didn't mentioned that the price of these tires was reduced :D.
All the best ;)
It is OK to use different treads front and rear

1 - 14 of 14 Posts