Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
real quick...when taking drops or small dirt doubles, I find myself floating in the air waiting to land...then I see some dudes taking the same drops and throwing in some smooth @ss moves.

What are some simple "tricks" I can do in the air where I'm carrying a pretty good amount of speed?

I can turn my bars...but what the hell do I do with the rear?? Can someone explain step by step?

simple = better.

thank you.

·
Registered
487 Posts
no footer it simple just take your feet off the pedels and put them back on. but if you feel like your not going to make it sit on your seat so you dont smash your balls on the top tube.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Im not very stylish in the air myself but I usually find myself turning the bars and shifting my weight in the rear to form a sort of tail-whip. But most tricks take time to develop. PRACTICE!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
i think tabletops, and then whips are the best beginner moves to learn, and if you have like a skatepark where theres a jump you feel real confidant with you can start learning x-ups.

tabletops are where you tilt the bike as far sideways in the air as you can, and then bring it back up. whips are where you push the back end of the bike out, and then bring it back in

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
William42 said:
i think tabletops, and then whips are the best beginner moves to learn, and if you have like a skatepark where theres a jump you feel real confidant with you can start learning x-ups.

tabletops are where you tilt the bike as far sideways in the air as you can, and then bring it back up. whips are where you push the back end of the bike out, and then bring it back in
agree... then you can start throwing combo's

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
ironhorsebryce said:
no footer it simple just take your feet off the pedels and put them back on. but if you feel like your not going to make it sit on your seat so you dont smash your balls on the top tube.
i did that once, except in sat down on my balls! F:eek:CK!!!

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
the best way i know how to explain it is pull the handle bars over. for example if you want to lay the bike over to the left then pull the handle bars over with your right hand. Pull it in front of your chest, or if you want to have your front end higher like when people table top with the front wheel in their grill then pull the bars over and in to your face..

exaggerate these motions it will translate into a more style table top.

·
Registered
462 Posts
MTB_prodigy said:
can someone explain step by step how to do tabletops. I am slightly doing them but i think im doin something wrong.
Do a search there is 2 or three threads that can help you there. The more experience in the air you have the better. I learned by just doing big jumps I was comfortable with and kind of experimenting around in the air. For me, it was not something I could just learn in an instant. Build a hip and practice table-topping on that. That did it for me. Let the hip position you sideways(ish) and kind of go with the flow.

·
Registered
997 Posts
hab1b said:
the best way i know how to explain it is pull the handle bars over. for example if you want to lay the bike over to the left then pull the handle bars over with your right hand. Pull it in front of your chest, or if you want to have your front end higher like when people table top with the front wheel in their grill then pull the bars over and in to your face..

exaggerate these motions it will translate into a more style table top.
thanks im gonna try to do everything u said tomorow.
Useful info:thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think whips are wayyyy easier than a good table.

I can whip almost completely sideways with ease (even out of a bunny hop), but tabling more than 15 degrees or so is quite tricky.

I used to try and whip for ages but only got like 5 degrees, but one day i got the magic combination of turning the bars, pivoting the hips, and bringing it back under control, and now they're second nature.

Once I recover from my broken back, I'll try and get tables down, but I find whips easier.

Another way to style drops if you have a lot of speed is to "squash" them like DH racers. Kind of suck up the lip by unweighting maybe 6-8 feet before the edge (you're going really fast presumably) and kind of pull the bike up to you and throw in a little bit of a whip for style.

Watch Between the Tape or Earthed 4 for some really good examples :p

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
yea whips are easier i think. I dont know how to explain a whip. just twist the bars and poke your ass out i guess. whenever i get too sideways i can never get em back in time and either har my ass off when i land or get kicked off the bike.

one footed table tops are my favorite.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whips

hab1b said:
yea whips are easier i think. I dont know how to explain a whip. just twist the bars and poke your ass out i guess. whenever i get too sideways i can never get em back in time and either har my ass off when i land or get kicked off the bike.

I like the idea of starting with whips.
Let's say I'm in the air....

I turn my bars to the left, do I push my hips out to the right at the same time?

Is one side easier (right vs left)? I'm assuming it's just preference.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
ironhorsebryce said:
Trust me... bending a seatpost with your anus does not feel much better.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whip photos or vids

hab1b said:

anyone have photos of whips? or better yet...a small vid clip?

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
coldawg said:
I think whips are wayyyy easier than a good table.

I can whip almost completely sideways with ease (even out of a bunny hop), but tabling more than 15 degrees or so is quite tricky.

I used to try and whip for ages but only got like 5 degrees, but one day i got the magic combination of turning the bars, pivoting the hips, and bringing it back under control, and now they're second nature.

Once I recover from my broken back, I'll try and get tables down, but I find whips easier.

coldawg, nothing against you at all. I just found it humorous that you were giving advice on tricks and then you added your " Once I recover from my broken back" comment. ;) It just sounded funny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts