Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every response Ive gotten online has told me that a 10 speed cassette will fit on my old cassette body that used to have a 8 speed cassette. Im already pissed because I just spent 350 on parts because I have to replace literally every drive train component on my bike because nothing that came on it was compatible to run anything other than the 3x8 that was on it. So After visiting the second bike shop to try to see if I could simply place a 10 speed cassette on my wheel which was already removed from the bike and would ONLY NEED TO HAVE IT PLACED ON THE WHEEL which would take less than 10 seconds of their time I was denied yet again. Instead he took out a caliper and measured some random road bike wheel as reference then measure mine and said nope its 4mm short and can only run a 9 speed tops. Its a ****ing 2013 bike and still had a 8 speed which confuses me and pisses me off at the same time. I already have the cassette on the way and do not want to improvise to a 9 speed cassette. TRAIL 29 5 - Trail 29er - Hardtail 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013 this is my bike and I was gunna be completely happy with it once the drivetrain was swapped but now im looking at 250+ for a new wheel set just because of a ****ing cassette. I would love some input because I dont get the cassette till friday and the last thing I wana do is twiddle my thumbs for 5 days wondering if the bike shop guy is trustworthy or not. Also I was gunna see if I could remove the cassette body to replace just that but once I loosened the bolts holding the hub together I realized it wasnt removable then I tightened the bolts back and know the ****ing axle wont spins. The bolt were tight as **** when I loosened them so when I tightened them back it froze the bearing or something.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I got so into that rant I forgot to form my questions. Does anyone know 100% if a 10 speed will fit on my bike or not? Also how do I tighten the hub bolts on my rear wheel so the axle till spins freely.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might be wrong, but you should not have any problem running 10 speed cassette. 10 speed cassette is not as wide as 9 speed as I remember.
I want to believe you because your giving me the answer I want but it makes me think why the hell the shop owner who has been there for years and years is basically explicitly telling me a 10 speed wont fit. Im swapping a low end shimano 8 speed for a 10 speed shimano xt cassette

·
Professional Crastinator
6,695 Posts
... Also how do I tighten the hub bolts on my rear wheel so the axle till spins freely.
If you have cup and cone hubs...
Usually I tighten everything hand tight, then lock the lock nuts down lightly, then use either two cone wrenches to loosen or two crescent wrenches to tighten - about 1/100th of a turn at a time. 1/100th might be an exaggeration, but it is a very small increment.
When it's good, tighten your lock nuts without turning anything else.

Alternately, you can first lock down one side nice and tight - often the drive side is inaccessible after it is together - then adjust bearing pre-load on the opposite side as vaguely described above. There is prob'ly something on YouTube.

I can't help you with 10 speed. I'm still waiting for 7 speed to trickle back down from the DH discipline.

-F

·
Registered
127 Posts
A 10 speed cassette with fit on a 8 speed cassette wheel. All you need is 10 speed shifters, ders, chain and crank. The chain is a lot more narrow for 10 then your 8 speed one. The 8 won't fit between the cassette teeth side to side.

The only issue would be if you had 7 speed because the free hub is shorter. But u can run a 7 speed cassette on a 8 speed cassette body if you have a 4mm spacer behind it.

Sounds like you should try another shop .....

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why change over to 10 speed anyway? What's wrong with 3X8? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I was tired of dropping chains and skipping gears. I am a novice rider on very low end beginner components so in a way you could say they were broken in the sense that they couldnt perform for my riding style. I will be running a 1x10 with a clutch RD to keep the chain as taut as possible.

·
GONE
27,385 Posts
I was tired of dropping chains and skipping gears. I am a novice rider on very low end beginner components so in a way you could say they were broken in the sense that they couldnt perform for my riding style. I will be running a 1x10 with a clutch RD to keep the chain as taut as possible.
Going from 3X8 to 1X10 is going to be a shock to your system but you'll adapt and it will make you stronger. Share drive train pics of before and after if you can.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going from 3X8 to 1X10 is going to be a shock to your system but you'll adapt and it will make you stronger. Share drive train pics of before and after if you can.
only before pic ill have is a complete picture of the bike when i first got it. when all the parts come in the mail and everything's installed ill be glad to share some photos

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
either the bike shop mechanic sees something that we don't, or he has no idea what he is doing. A 10 speed cassette will fit on a modern wheel with no problem.

you could just buy a chain whip and a freewheel tool. you will need those eventually anyway.

as for the hub, now you need some cone wrenches because you effed up your cone nuts and bearings. did you stop to think to search the World Wide Web for instructions before taking a wrench to your bike? why did you fiddle with the lock nuts anyway? everything you need to know is there:

how to remove/ install a cassette
how to adjust hub cones

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
1x10 will not cure those problems. Might (MIGHT) reduce them, but you can have other issues.

If your LBS is as incompetent as they seem, they likely could not properly setup the stock drivetrain in the first place.

·
29er and 26er
685 Posts
1x10 will not cure those problems. Might (MIGHT) reduce them, but you can have other issues.

If your LBS is as incompetent as they seem, they likely could not properly setup the stock drivetrain in the first place.
This!

That bike should work fine with a 3x8 configuration. If you didn't bend or damage your rear derailleur and/or hanger and the drivetrain set up and tuned properly you should have little to no problems with shifting.

If a 1x10 is what you want, find a different shop to wrench on your bike.

Good luck!

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Solve your own problems by learning to competently work on your own bike. A lesson that you won't regret.
I already do all my own work. The only thing Id never done before is disassemble the hub, which is why I got confused about the different nuts and locking nuts. I have since seen instructions on how to properly tighten the locking nut so no problems there. When installing my new fork it didnt come with a star nut so to avoid waiting days for a little nut to ship I went to my LBS to get one and he only wanted 5 buck to install it so I said why not. This is were I talked to him about the conversion and said I was upping from a 8 to a 10 speed cassette and he got some shitty grin on his face and said you didnt think a 10 would fit if it had a 8 on it before did you. So never hearing this before I assumed it was true and now we are here. The internet making the LBS owner look like a dumb ass and me not wanting to ever shop there again.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This!

That bike should work fine with a 3x8 configuration. If you didn't bend or damage your rear derailleur and/or hanger and the drivetrain set up and tuned properly you should have little to no problems with shifting.

If a 1x10 is what you want, find a different shop to wrench on your bike.

Good luck!
Well maybe if it had good 3x8 components it would. Besides it had 500 miles on the chain/cassette/crank ( I know thats not crazy but still it got some use) so replacing just those things would have been necessary soon either way. Also I woulda had to replace my entire crank just to have new chainwheel because they were riveted on not screwed on. So yet again Im saying that im not just some rich kid whos throwing needless upgrades on his bike. Everything im doing WILL increase the performance and my confidence in my bike and my ability to charge down ruff terrain with roots and other objects that throw a chains around know my drive train is secure. Of cource a chain can always jump off but im glad to reduce the chances if it happening 10 fold.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Ummmm......sounds like you need to learn how to shift....or to be in proper gears for descending.

Agree with others, just sounds like something is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just take your time with setting up the new drive train.
If you have issues with rear shifting after you get the new stuff installed, it may be a bent derailleur hanger. The causes on the issues with your current set up sounds like the adjustment. Weak rear mech spring, worn parts, even bad cables could be a factor, too.
Give yourself time and you will be able to figure things out when they happen. Skipping from worn gears is different than skipping from poor adjustment. Stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
10 speed Shimano cassettes will work fine on 8/9s Shimano freehub bodies. I've installed such a setup many times with no issues.

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

Visit the above link and scroll down to the "Shimano Freehub Cassette System" section.

Your 3x8 system was dropping chain and "skipping" gears because it was either broken (physically broken) or it wasn't adjusted properly...not because it's low-end. If your new 1x10 system isn't adjusted correctly, I can say with certainty that you'll drop chain and experience "skipping" again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.