Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend last year really got into MB'ing and this winter she bought a really nice used Giant AC Air Lite, and we are changing over a few components to fit her better and we are at the saddle right now. Since she is somewhat new she hasn't really gotten much experience with different saddles so I'm hoping some of the women who have experimented with different saddles could give us some advice. Her old bike had a fairly wide Trico Womens Gel Saddle that seemed to work OK, but It's shot and I'm also worried that as we get out on longer rides she would dislike it anyways as it's incredibly soft.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
I heard that Specialized has a good saddle

it is called the Alias. I saw it at my LBS after I had heard about in the womens forum. I asked my local bike dealer what he thought of it and he said he has one on his road and moutain bike. I think there is a thread about the saddle in the womens forum but couldn't tell you where. It retails for about $65. Specaiized has a gel pad you sit on so that the bike dealer can then fit the seat to your sit bones. There are verious sizes. My bike dealer and I don't know if yours would do this for you allows the costumer to take the seat for a ride. If you don't like it they will let you keep trying saddles till you find one you like.

H

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Specialized

If you want a really good saddle, specifically made for a woman, don't overlook Specialized. I have one on my Yeti Kokopelli and never even think about it. Quality is all there, and they have a pretty extensive dealer network. If you don't have a dealer nearby, they are quick to ship directly to you.

Barbara

·
Registered
128 Posts
Terry Butterfly or Terry Firefly is unbeatable and reliably comfortable. $50 for the "heavy" one or $100 for the ti rails. I recomend the Firefly for the mountain bike since the suede texture of the Butterfly makes it hard to get behind the saddle if it's wet or muddy.

They are essential the same saddle. The Firefly is a little more firm than the Butterfly. I have the Butterfly on my road and tandem bike, and the Firefly on my trail bike. They're good for long distances and rough terrain.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Another nod for Specialized saddle...actually generally speaking I've been pretty happy with anything/everything I've gotten from specialized. Gloves, shoes, etc. My saddle is the one that came stock with my first bike, a tank of a Specialized Hard Rock, but now that I've switched to my FS bike I took the Specialized saddle with me. It's got enough cushion without being too wide or stopping me from getting back off the seat for steep descents. I'm training for 12 and 24 solo endurance events, so you know that my seat has to be fairly comfy because I spend a good bit of time seated and getting back over it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SheSpeedsNotSingleSpeed said:
Terry Butterfly or Terry Firefly is unbeatable and reliably comfortable. $50 for the "heavy" one or $100 for the ti rails. I recomend the Firefly for the mountain bike since the suede texture of the Butterfly makes it hard to get behind the saddle if it's wet or muddy.

They are essential the same saddle. The Firefly is a little more firm than the Butterfly. I have the Butterfly on my road and tandem bike, and the Firefly on my trail bike. They're good for long distances and rough terrain.
Also check out the Butterfly Tri, it is essentially the same as the Butterfly, but with a layer of gel around the cutaway. And since it doesn't have the textured leather, it makes it easier to get back on.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I know, lots of people have had great luck with the butterfly, but I found it quite painful. I use the WTB Speed She saddles--the comp runs about $40 and has cro-mo rails. The Race runs about $110 and has ti rails. All my bikes have one or the other.

I used to have a cheap Specialized Body Geometry comp saddle that worked well for me. It was a bit heavy, but quite comfy. I am not sure they still make it, though. It did not have a center cut out, but had an indent down the middle. If I was not happy with my speed shes, I would probably look at the new Alias.

I also found the WTB Speed V Pro-gel VERY comfy. It is a bit heavy, but for more recreational riding, it would work great.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
I am looking at a Terry Liberator

I have the one that came on my bike (Specailized Rockhopper). The Terry Liberator Gel (women's specific) has good reviews and I found it for $45. I'll have to write a review after I have some miles on it

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Definitely a personal; thing, but I would at least advise to look at these:

Anything from Terry & WTB

Specialized Avatar and Alias (they come in 3 different wiidths and they have a measuring device that should indicate which should fit you best. My daughter has a couple of WTB's (Speed She and another ?) and just got an Alias on her new road bike and swears by it now (as I do my Avatar).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My wife also has a WTB Speed She and really likes it. They are also great value for money, especially the slightly heavier cromo rail versions.

·
black & blue
235 Posts
Another vote for the WTB Speed She

I have the WTB Speed She Team saddle, and I love it! I tried the Terry Butterfly, Specialized, and several others. The WTB was the most comfortable; it's not too padded. I would stay away from gel saddles.

I had to try several saddles to find this one, and it would be the same for most every rider. I would suggest taking her out to try saddles before you buy! She'll appreciate the trip to get her exactly what she needs!

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I have a WTB Lazer V that came stock on my bike... so far it seems to be pretty comfortable, though I do start to remember it's there towards the end of a long ride, but it's probably the same no matter what saddle you have if you ride further than normal.

Judging by a lot of the comments about saddles, you'll most likely find something from WTB to fit nicely, even if it's not the first one you try out. My hubby had a Speed V that came stock on his bike but it was horribly uncomfortable for both of us. I bought him a WTB SST2K which he much prefers, even though it has much less padding.

- Jen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.