Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's heavily padded like a regular chamois in the seat area, with additional protective padding on the sides, legs, and tailbone. The range goes from BP-3600 (least protection), BP-4600HW (hot weather), BP-5605, BP-7605 (most protection).

You can't get much off MSRP on the Troy Lee's (I think it's price controlled) but it's available at :
Shop protective mountain bike padded shorts and other mountain bike gear: In stock, free shipping

....and if you use the coupon codes you'll get $20 off a $100 purchase. Shipping was fast too.

I was initially apprehensive about getting any protection.....in fact I chuckled at that thought... that was until karma got me back and I had a bad wreck a month or so ago. I ended up benched for 3 weeks for hurting my hip bad. I now have 3 pairs (two 7605's and one 4600) to rotate around since I try to ride the trails daily. Really well made, I highly recommend.

-S
Thanks for the info.

I've been blessed so far to only get a few scrapes but I'm considering some extra protection. I just don't want o sacrafic sitbone padding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A pair of chamois bike shorts first then put a good heavy padded pair over the top, gets you good padding plus two shorts helps keep things in place better

·
Clyde on a mission!
719 Posts
New biker here, I'm wanting some sort of cushion between my legs... I'm trying to figure out what people are using and liking? Good old chamois shorts? The loose version shorts? What about that padded underwear? BIBs? Just seeing what poeple like.
What kind of issues do you have and for how long have you been riding?

Contrary to normal beliefs padding aren't designed to make you sit softer, they are about transporting moisture away.

Regular shorts and underwear typically have seems in the crotch which will rub your skin while riding. Bike specific shorts and underwear are designed without those.

If you have just recently started riding it's perfectly normal to end up sore. The muscles in your rear haven't yet adapted to the task, but they will in a dozen rides. Once you get some time in the saddle your butt will learn to clench properly and have you seated on the softer bits rather than on your sit bone. Give it 3-4 weeks and 10-15 rides and you should be fine.

Another culprit are a saddle that needs adjustment. Your saddle should be pretty horizontal. Tilting up or down puts pressure in the wrong places and you'll end up sore. If it doesn't work for you, try tilting the saddle a tiny bit and I do mean tiny. Adjusting slight back or forwards might also do the trick.

Basically:

1) Check your shorts/underwear for seems that can rub. One advantage of padded short/underwear is that it doesn't have seems in the wrong places and it helps move moisture away. Personally I like compression shorts because they keep my junk in place.. :p

2) Make sure your saddle is nice and level.

3) If you're new to riding get at least 3 weeks of riding in before you start replacing saddles, adjusting, buying new shorts and what not.

4) If after a month of riding you still get sore it's time to mess with saddle adjustments or maybe getting a new saddle.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,739 Posts
Wow the title of this thread scared me so much it took me four days to work up the courage to open it. Now that I finally opened it I've got nothing, everyone else pretty muched covered it. And OP just a word of advice put more thought into your titles, don't get me wrong you've got your delivery of your questions down but the title is what draws people in. ;) You don't want people walking away feeling like they need therapy after reading a title.

Reactions: skullcap

·
Registered
19 Posts
i would scout for a great saddle (for me, WTB saddle is tops)

next a padded underwear and baggies would made my soft tissues feel good all day!! padded cycling tight + baggies combo would cook my balls in the tropical heat (i ride tropics.... MALAYSIA)

if you still feel sore after the above, you are not putting enough fun between your legs. SOLTUTION is to ride more to firm up your butt LOL............

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
i would scout for a great saddle (for me, WTB saddle is tops)

next a padded underwear and baggies would made my soft tissues feel good all day!! padded cycling tight + baggies combo would cook my balls in the tropical heat (i ride tropics.... MALAYSIA)

if you still feel sore after the above, you are not putting enough fun between your legs. SOLTUTION is to ride more to firm up your butt LOL............
Ini seluar pendek reka bentuk untuk cuaca panas.

-S

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,739 Posts
There are a lot of quality padded bike shorts. I highly reccomend checking out the "Pearl Izumi" line. They make top notch products specific to biking. Or have you checked out the "In Yo Face" line, I hear good things about them as well.

·
Banned
215 Posts
With my regular bike shorts on it feels like Maxi Pads anyways. I was very nervous at first wearing those, but after my first ride in them.....I never went back. That **** is comfy. Mine are just a cheap pair from Dicks, but really fit well and the pad part is gel and not to thick.

·
Banned
215 Posts
However I put baggies on over em.....I'll never wear just the tight shorts by themselves ever again. I wish I were more confident about that, but I am not. Too afraid of looking very goofy.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts