Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New biker here, I'm wanting some sort of cushion between my legs... I'm trying to figure out what people are using and liking? Good old chamois shorts? The loose version shorts? What about that padded underwear? BIBs? Just seeing what poeple like.

·
The Original Suspect
2,376 Posts
This is a well discussed topic and you will find everyone has their favorite. I prefer baggies, these specifically.

Men's Hummvee Shorts

There are less expensive options though. You may find that padded under shorts with plain old cargos work for you.

Good luck!

·
Flow like water
711 Posts
Awkward title, but I'll chime in.

As others have noted, there are plenty of threads on this here. Check out the Apparel forum.

If you are really skinny, you don't need bib shorts. If you want to show off your beautious figure, wear bike shorts by themselves. If you are like most of us, you will want to wear bike shorts or bibs as underwear, with baggies.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
For summer I get kits direct from China on EBay. Great padding, reasonable quality elsewhere, and about $40 delivered. I have one bib and 2 regular. The bib is slightly more comfortable, but the shorts are more convenient :)

For winter I wear heavy black wicking long johns and shirt, with cycling shorts over the long johns for padding and modesty.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
How about these to help with the thigh rubbing?

I have the 7605 and 4600HW to protect my butt and they are well padded between the legs (not so much on the 4600 though).

·
Registered
467 Posts
How about these to help with the thigh rubbing?

I have the 7605 and 4600HW to protect my butt and they are well padded between the legs (not so much on the 4600 though).
Do they make these with padding for sit bones?

Anyhow, I use both padded underwear and padded cargo shorts from Aerotech...and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone!

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Do they make these with padding for sit bones?

Anyhow, I use both padded underwear and padded cargo shorts from Aerotech...and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone!
It's heavily padded like a regular chamois in the seat area, with additional protective padding on the sides, legs, and tailbone. The range goes from BP-3600 (least protection), BP-4600HW (hot weather), BP-5605, BP-7605 (most protection).

You can't get much off MSRP on the Troy Lee's (I think it's price controlled) but it's available at :
Shop protective mountain bike padded shorts and other mountain bike gear: In stock, free shipping

....and if you use the coupon codes you'll get $20 off a $100 purchase. Shipping was fast too.

I was initially apprehensive about getting any protection.....in fact I chuckled at that thought... that was until karma got me back and I had a bad wreck a month or so ago. I ended up benched for 3 weeks for hurting my hip bad. I now have 3 pairs (two 7605's and one 4600) to rotate around since I try to ride the trails daily. Really well made, I highly recommend.

-S

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks thanks for the replys, I'm looking into a lot of these options, hope some padding wil help with the saddle sore feeling.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts