Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think im finally going to cut my vertical droputs and weld out some horizontal dropouts.
where can i get some pre-made horizontal sliding dropouts or just regular ones?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Couldn't you cut some off another frame. Seems like it would be easier to just get another frame. With vertical drop outs, I assume you are stock with what ever gear combo is tight enough, eh? That is what I'm wondering.

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well all my other frames have crappy ones, and i dont want to buy another frame because the one i have is awesome, u may have seem it(trek 850)

but im not going to cut off the vertical dropouts on the 850 , first im going to test it out on my haro.

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i don't know if those Ebbs work on Euro bbs, it probably would be cheaper.i really don't know how those work. but don't worry about the cost im in a welding class at my high school and my teacher would let me use the school equipment.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
nuck_chorris said:
i think im finally going to cut my vertical droputs and weld out some horizontal dropouts.
where can i get some pre-made horizontal sliding dropouts or just regular ones?
Here's a picture of some Surly "track ends", used to be called sub 11's. There about $30 @ pair (half the price as Paragon non-sliders). If you want to see more I did a blog entry to describe the surgery. Bonty Blog

You can buy them @ Harris Cyclery

Attachments

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
There's no need to cut and weld a frame you like. You can use a set of Excentrikers.

Then if you don't like it, you can flog them on eBay. They're not cheap, but it would probably work out cheaper than the frame job.

ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
get an ENO hub :)
or that too :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
i am a welder by trade and have a problem with welding on bikes.
1st you need to know the material grade.
2nd by pumping heat into your bike you can weaken the material or make it harder and then find cracks.
3rd the EBB sounds like a better option.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hmm Brad,

Arent those dropouts designed to be welded more "into" the chain and seatstay? Is there some reasoning behind this setup?

Also I am very intrested in the crankset on the flyer beneath the frame. What is it? Is see some wierd splines on the bracket axle. Care to give me some info?

@ OP: Maybe it is easier to solder the dropouts. That way you pump less heat into the frame which might be better for the material. When you get some of those sub11 dropouts you can just cut the chain and seatstay where they should be place. Some filing and brazing should do the trick. And use some old axle as an alignment rig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"@ OP: Maybe it is easier to solder the dropouts. That way you pump less heat into the frame which might be better for the material. When you get some of those sub11 dropouts you can just cut the chain and seatstay where they should be place. Some filing and brazing should do the trick. And use some old axle as an alignment rig."

Brazing is an art form, especially if you have never done it before. It looks a lot easier than it actually is. It's very difficult to accomplish correctly...

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have no idea how those ENO hubs work, they do seem kinda expensive. if i screw up its going to be on an inferior frame. i will extensively test the test frame ;) . ill have to go to the forest's of The Woodlands and ponder this decision . i was also thinking about an eccentric bottom bracket , i somewhat understand how those work.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
DiDaDunlop said:
Hmm Brad,

Arent those dropouts designed to be welded more "into" the chain and seatstay? Is there some reasoning behind this setup?
The track ends were installed by Paul Sadoff of Rocklobster so I trust his experience and judgement (he doesn't do this modification anymore so please don't ask).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.