Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal, i have a 2004 shiver dc in great condition except for one thing, i think there is a problem it. It is kinda hard to explain but i will try. When you pick the front of the bike up off the ground maybe 6 inches and drop it, there is a pretty noticable "clunk" when it hits the ground. Its like there is a space where there is no pressure on the springs or something, Can that Be a possibility, i dont know? anyways i have checked and double checked making sure that this clunk is not coming from my headset. and there is another thing that caught my attention, when you compress the forks to any extent, as soon as the rebound kicks in and they begin to come back up there is another wierd "nock" in there somewhere. i dont know if this is normal for shivers, but it did not do it on my old sherman so i have no idea, can any of you help me out with what might be causing this?? thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
John1375
Just checking...
You mentioned that the headset is tight - you also checked the thru-axel and fork bolts? Do you have the correct oil height? No missing spacers inside the leg?

I doubt it's your bushings, however, it could be the spring deflecting inside the stanchion tube resulting in the noise you are hearing. To solve this, simply put some shrink wrap (2 inches) on each spring.

Another problem you might have is;
In the past, some Shiver cartridges had developed some vertical "play" in the fork resulting in a metallic clunking noise (and oil leaking from the top caps) when the fork is in motion . There is a shim kit avaliable from Marz which would take the slack out of the cartridges and eliminate the noise.
Process of elimination really, but you will solve it!
Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help cort, i did check the axel and all that and everything is tight. I will try the shrink wrap on the springs first. WHere abouts on the spring do you think it would be hitting the inside of the leg so i know where to put the wrap, or would there be marks on the saprings you think? sorry i dont know much about shivers, im still learning. oh and would that shim kit solve my leaky caps on the fork or no? acually now that i think about it, there is not much, but a noticable amout of movement on the adjusters on top of the caps, i wouldnt think that there is supposed to be any movement there, so im thinkin im going to try and find this shim kit, maybe that will solve my problem. thanks again

·
Registered
895 Posts
John1375,
You want to put the shrink wrap in the middle of both springs. (most hardware stores should have the wrap)
The shim kit will also solve your leaky top cap problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to also check the tiny o-ring seal that is on top of each cartridge to see if they are fine - if they are nicked replace it with a new one (you'll see the o-ring when you unscrew the top cap off the fork)
To install the shims takes only a few mins - just remember that they go between the top cap and the c-clip on each leg - easy and done!
Good Luck

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Common problem with Shivers. It is actually the little C shaped clamp piece that's worn under the odd shaped preload adjuster at the top. Replace them both and you'll be fine or keep riding it the way it is and it wont harm anything either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.