Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So for the last two months i have been involved in a rigorous upper body fitness program for my new hobby (boxing) It involves alot of core, arm and upper back exercises using free weights, push ups, chin ups, pull ups etc. Results have been good, however ive realized that i've developed a bit of a slump when standing/sitting which i can probably attest to lack of lower back exercise. (correct me if im wrong)

Anywho..

Im looking for suggestions on good stretches / workouts for my lower back that i can incorporate into my weekly schedule.

Simple calisthenic based workouts are ideal, as i dont have access to benches and whatnot.

help is appreciated.

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
644 Posts

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
xray_ed said:
Deadlifts and kettlebell swings have completely fixed my back.

Swings (you can do these with a dumbbell too):

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_KBSwings.wmv

More here:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#KBs - also, scroll down to the "powerlifts" section for vids on proper deadlift form.

Enoy! :thumbsup:
Will agree that the KB swings are a great lower back exercise. And I highly recommend CrossFit as well.

Timbone: RDL's (stiff legged deadlifts) work the hams primary, but they do also hit the lower back somewhat. Good suggestion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think my single speed riding (80% out of the saddle) gets my back in great shape! I can always tell when I've been off the ss for a while and then go back to it.

I like the sound of those KB swings too...going to look into those. I figure I need all the help I can get on core fitness. I need to stretch more also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
not sure if this has been said...
but lay on you stomach
hands outsretched infront of you. raise your hands and feet about 10 cm off the ground, then lower, repeat (KEEP YOU KNEES STRAIGHT do not bend at the knees)
about 20 reps, youll be dying
do this very slowly, dont jolt

·
Registered
413 Posts
Some GREAT recommendations! I'm RKC and do recommend you get some instruction on the KB swings even though it seems like a simple exercise. A online video might get you enough info but if you have any knee, elbow, or back pain, get formal instruction. And don't be surprised if you have muscle soreness after three sets of 25 with the 1 1/2!

Larry

·
Registered
268 Posts
The flying Superman Pose

That has work for me for many years...no gear/weights required.

I call this one the superman flying pose.

For someone with weak back muscles, starting with by alternating left arm, right leg- right arm, left leg lifts, is a little easier.

If back pain is present the alternating thing can be done "on all fours" (knees and forearms).

To work the abbs roll over on your back and with your legs straight, lift your heels 2 inches of the floor.

GBD said:
not sure if this has been said...
but lay on you stomach
hands outsretched infront of you. raise your hands and feet about 10 cm off the ground, then lower, repeat (KEEP YOU KNEES STRAIGHT do not bend at the knees)
about 20 reps, youll be dying
do this very slowly, dont jolt

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1 on the yoga. I've said it many times on these boards but the benefits are huge. Yoga works the core, back, hamstring, hips and the entire body. Cycling, while beneficial to many of these areas, puts the body in one position, to really improve fitness, strength and flexibility you need to use both sides of all muscle groups (hamstrings and quads, bi/tri-ceps etc.). Yoga does this better then anything I've ever tried before, helps with balance (great for the downhills) and can be done easily any place you are with minimal cost.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Two months is a VERY SHORT TIME. You have only just begun training. Focus on your core. Do pilates, crunches, bridges, etc.. Remember to back off your workload every four weeks for full recovery before you add ANYTHING to your training plate.

Right now you are creating great imbalanced forces that are tearing your body apart. Back off what you have been doing and take some time to strengthen your core.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.