Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I FINALLY decided what my next bike is going to be. I want something along the lines of a do it all bike, but more on the urban assault side. I don't need anything crazy, nothing over 10' drops, just some stairs, not too much (if any trails), but just a fun, curb hopping, stair jumpin, wheelie popping SS. Now where do i go for that? chameleon? MC Rumble? I want something I can build with SS for about a grand (give or take a couple hundred), do I go to the freeride/DH forum, SS, or urban/DH/Park? I am soo confused, please direct me, or just give me suggestions here. Thanks so much
By the way, i am definitely going front suspension.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Hmmm. Nothing more than 10 foot drops eh? Not sure who makes a warranteed frame that'll do that on a regular basis. Sounds interesting though. Is your health insurance paid in full? ;-)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, take heart guys, my insurance is up to date. But seriously, I don't know exactly where to go with this. I won't be doing 10' drops tomorrow, but I can kinda see me gettin that crazy eventually. Even with my blast and only a few months riding, i've already done about 3'. Anyway, basically I just want something real tossable, but somehting I can still pedal on. Low maintenance, just a all around fun ride, mostly urban, a a little trail.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
With all of the things you "want" the bike to do you'll not have any luck unless you stick with a bmx style bike and we all know it won't pedal the trails for crap. There just isn't a light bike that you can just toss around, be suspended, have no trouble maintaining and eventually get into 10 foot drops. Fully suspended bikes built to take that kind of abuse weigh in excess of 40lbs and require regular maintenance. They also break on a regular basis as will any bike that does 10 foot drops. Unfortunately your requirements are beyond science at this time.

There are downhill bikes capable of doing 10 footers, but they weigh 40+lbs and aren't easily thrown around though some riders make it look easy. They need lots of tlc. Then you have your freeride bikes. Weigh a bit less, a bit less travel but being a bike it has limits to the abuse. Next is all mtn. Again a bit less in weight, a bit less in what it will do. Then xc.

You have to be realistic. You want to do 10footers eventually then you will at some point break something. You want it to pedal and do 10 footers without breaking and easy to maintain? Nope.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
If you want SS then get a frame that was made to be a SS. With an eccentric BB or a slotted drop out. IF you do SS with a conversion chain tension device I think you will drop your chain alot on those big jumps. I recommend SURLY. There frames are beefy and built to be SS. Also look at frames from BMX companies.

·
Webtoes
94 Posts
Kona Cowan Full Suuspension Dirt Jumper SS. I do not know if it can handle repeated 10 foots to flat but, it is made for jumping to a downward transition and it is very versatile in that it can be geared or single speed do to its rear sliding drop-out design. After bulid up it should be in the low 30# range with somewhat robust components for trail-worthiness. There are others to consider, but most options will be heavy free-ride tanks that would not be fun to pedal uphill. In addition to the FS Cowan there are many other hardtail DJs on the market to choose from as well (as you've already mentioned a few). I do not DJ, so, don't take this as sage advice, because I may be way off. Just suggestions that came to mind to look into. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will set me straight. Again, repeated 10 footers in an urban setting (usually means jumping to-flat), will strain any bicycle frame.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, ok, so thanks so much for ya'll advice, the other day i looked at a true ten footer, and realized i probbaly won't ever be doing those. So probably around anywhere from 4-6 is that still too much for what i am looking for?

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Drops

If you're going to be doing 4-6 foot drops, I'm pretty sure you're going to progress to those 10 footers, then you might want a full suspension. If you can afford to get a new bike when that time comes, more power to you. But you might want to start off with a full suspension bike (Heckler, 6.6, Nomad) if that's your plan.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really don't want the maintenance of a full suspension though, I mean, I LOVE riding, but I don't know id i'd ever progress to a 10 fter because i don't know If i'll ever really use this bike to go out and practice jumps and tricks. I thought about hte heckler but the build is about 1500, I REALLY want to just keep hte hardtail SS for simplicity and maintenance, even if it does eventually hold me back some

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks tons oldskool, that helped a lot, sorry my questions were so vague, but thanks for the thoughts guys. So I know what kind of geometry (more or less) I am looking for, just something in between hardcore park or DJ and aggressive XC. I was looking at maybe at some of those frames, wow they are expensive. Thanks for the help guys, you definitely got me on the right track, now to narrow it down a little more, i'll be back

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
if your fairly smooth...or won't be going huge check out the DMR Trailstar or the LT version...I have my LT setup with a MX comp ETA 120mm and it climbs and rides trails well and works great as a park bike...if you want something a little more towards the FR side of things through a 130-140mm fork on it and you'll have the makings of a great bike

DMR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.