Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running some XC race Shimano's for about three years now and they have finally had it. Well, acutally they "had it" about a year ago, but I've been putting it off.

I want something that feels like the XC race shoe, but has a little more protection. See, about a year ago, I cut just a little bit too cose to a rock after coming off a little drop. The rock sliced right through the side of my shoe, through my sock, and claimed my toe nail off the little toe. Yeah, it hurt.

Anyway, a little more protection would be good but also remain breathable would be nice. Afterall, the temp has been hitting 110 here lately.

Would it be like asking for a 6" bike that pedals like a racer, drops like a freerider, and flies like a DJ hardtail, if I were to say, I want the shoe to come in under $150 as well?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
you probably want to check out the new Shimano AM50... sounds like it would offer exactly what you're looking for... plus Jenson has them for $140

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...s/shoes/mtb/product.-code-SH-AM50.-type-.html

* Rugged, ballistic, textile inlays over key areas
* A tough, durable shoe with a breathable but structured upper reinforced with armor
* Mid-top ankle protection for more aggressive riding
* Combination of toe bumper and contoured heel protects against impact and increases durability
* Aggressive lightweight sole delivers excellent traction and mud clearance

i have MT41's right now which i really like (stiff, breathable - although not sure this has the protection you want)... (were like $70 or 80)... but i might go for AM50's next time i need shoes...

cheers

·
needs more money
18 Posts
Amdoo said:
I've been using Lakes for the last 5 years and am amazed at their durability. Currently using the MX 305's which sound like what you're looking for. They're on sale now too.
http://www.lakecycling.com/category.aspx?categoryID=32
I bought a pair of Lake MX190s this season and have been loving them. Great on hike a bikes.

A little on the heavy side however.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I've been using Shimano's MT-40 for a couple of years, on Bootleg's lava rock with no significant wear.
They're tough and have a semi rigid sole.
They aren't lite though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.