Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 7 months ago I purchased an 05 Bianchi G.U.S.S. singlespeed, After washing it a week ago I noticed on the inside of my cranks is a laser etched logo that says " non rideable prototype " I immediately called the bike shop I bought it at, They take my name and # and said they'll call me back. almost a week later no call, so I recall the shop and they say that they have tried to get a hold of Bianchi with no luck. Then I call Truvativ, They tell me " Do not ride those, We don't have anything to send you, But don't ride them" Fast forward to today, I tried to call Bianchi and got through on the first call they tell me that I have to have the original bike shop handle it. The truth is I've had a couple of really bad customer service issues with this bike shop and I just want something done about it. I don't want to disparage a bike shop or a company, But I really miss Kooka, They bent over backwards for me one time and made me feel like I mattered. I can't not ride, and that is the only bike I have that is rideable. Trav

·
Registered
89 Posts
Man that sucks! It sounds like the LBS didn't even attempt to call anyone, probably because they know that they shouldn't have built that bike with those cranks. I would head back in there and tell them that you have talked to Truvativ and had no problem getting a hold of Bianchi and they told you that the shop needs to take care of it. I would initally approach it in a civilized manner and see if they can't help you out. However, if they don't seem to be helping you, then shift to plan B. Which is you might have to get a little ugly and make a scene. The busier they are with other customers and the bigger the scene the better. Hopefully they will give you some new cranks to shut ya up. Good luck and hope you get this crappy deal worked out!

Dirty

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Another approach...

dirt_donkey said:
Man that sucks! It sounds like the LBS didn't even attempt to call anyone, probably because they know that they shouldn't have built that bike with those cranks. I would head back in there and tell them that you have talked to Truvativ and had no problem getting a hold of Bianchi and they told you that the shop needs to take care of it. I would initally approach it in a civilized manner and see if they can't help you out. However, if they don't seem to be helping you, then shift to plan B. Which is you might have to get a little ugly and make a scene. The busier they are with other customers and the bigger the scene the better. Hopefully they will give you some new cranks to shut ya up. Good luck and hope you get this crappy deal worked out!

Dirty
Call Bianchi back and ask for their help. Let them know what you've gone through and let them know that you're not receiving any response from the shop. Ask them for advice. Same thing with Truvativ. Ask for their help/advice. They may be able to excert a little pressure on the shop.

Ken

·
Registered
225 Posts
Many moons ago

when I had a Sugar the frame snapped in half and I called Fisher because I had moved from the area I had purchased the bike. They gave me the number and address of a shop that would help me out. I took the bike apart and took the frame into the shop. They told me they couldn't help me, unless they were paid to put the bike together and then disassemble it so that they could tell I hadn't broken it on purpose just to get a new frame. This work they wanted to do was going to be at least $100, maybe more, and when the new frame came in they would have to build it up again, $50 more, they told me only because Fisher requires this. I called Fisher and asked their policy and was told that yes they would have rather had the shop see the bike assembled, but that was not required. I got a call from the shop about a day later apologizing and my frame came in a week later. You should call both Truvativ and Bianchi; they will light a fire under the shop quickly. They don't want bad press here or anywhere else because a shop won't do their job. I have yet to buy another Fisher, even though it wasn't their fault. It just made me wonder about Fisher and it's local dealer requirements. Ed

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your post peaked my interest since I purchased a G.U.S.S. in March. I looked at my cranks during lunch and they are legit.

It sounds like you're getting the he said/she said shuffle. It is more than likely either a Bianchi problem or the LBS problem. Truvative probably produced demo cranks for display and show purposes and never intended for them to end up on a bike, so they are probably not responsible.

You should call the shop and Bianchi with your serial number in hand, and find out who installed the crank on the bike. Whoever installed the crank is responsible; but then again, it should still come back to the LBS to service their customer.

Lack of customer service is why many LBS's are losing their customer base.

I would insist that your LBS do an immediate free swap out for a legit Truvative crank; and it would be their responsibility to sort it out with Bianchi (or Truvative if they received some display only parts by mistake). Be nice, but be firm and insist that they take care of the problem.

Just my .02

The upside is that you still have a great SS. I’m extremely pleased with my G.U.S.S. It’s a sweet handling ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Here's an update

sstrav said:
About 7 months ago I purchased an 05 Bianchi G.U.S.S. singlespeed, After washing it a week ago I noticed on the inside of my cranks is a laser etched logo that says " non rideable prototype " I immediately called the bike shop I bought it at, They take my name and # and said they'll call me back. almost a week later no call, so I recall the shop and they say that they have tried to get a hold of Bianchi with no luck. Then I call Truvativ, They tell me " Do not ride those, We don't have anything to send you, But don't ride them" Fast forward to today, I tried to call Bianchi and got through on the first call they tell me that I have to have the original bike shop handle it. The truth is I've had a couple of really bad customer service issues with this bike shop and I just want something done about it. I don't want to disparage a bike shop or a company, But I really miss Kooka, They bent over backwards for me one time and made me feel like I mattered. I can't not ride, and that is the only bike I have that is rideable. Trav
I got a voice mail from the LBS, and the said they talked to Bianchi who talked to SRAM and they said " Oh yeah those are good go ahead and ride them ". HEY SRAM IF THEY"RE SO FOCKING SAFE QUIT LABELLING THEM NON-RIDEABLE PROTOTYPE!!
I will take these off of my bike and dish out the dough for cranks that were intended to be ridden from a company who isn't too lazy to get off of thier cans, and take care of a customer service issue that could ultimately end in a costly lawsuit by allowing this type of oversight and not caring enough to to remedy it. Hey SRAM, What are my front teeth worth? My collar bone? or my life? Maybe I should just leave them on my bike. Sorry, Rant over.

·
The man who fell to earth
335 Posts
I wouldn't buy new cranks. You have every right to get the proper cranks for the bike you paid for - PERIOD. The LBS and possibly the manufacturer are LIABLE for mega$$ damages if you are hurt as a consequence of a snapped crank. Frankly, I'm shocked the LBS isn't happily, eagerly and cheerfully replacing your cranks before something "bad" happens. They must be complete idiots.

You need to calmy and politely verbally inform the owner/manager of the store what the situation is, and that you want replacement cranks immediately. Any resistance or refusals, simply walk away and then type up a polite but firm, straightforward letter that gets right to the point and reiterates exactly what you told the owner/manager and what you want to resolve the matter (a new set of cranks). Also mention that you are retaining a lawyer and that if you are injured using these cranks, he will be liable for any injuries and pain and suffering that you experience. Make a copy of the letter for yourself and send it certified mail with signed receipt (available at the post office for a couple of bucks). Any sane dealer who receives something like that in the mail (now that there is an official paper trail and not just verbal communication) will instantly respond by providing you with a new set of cranks. And while you're at it, also send certified copies of the letters to Truvativ and Bianchi as well.

But if they are so incredibly stupid to still refuse, then take them to small claims court along with the copy of your certified letter. Any reasonable judge will very likely find in your favor right off. But I suspect the dealer will provide you with a new set of cranks as settlement to avoid going to court before it even gets to that.

sstrav said:
I got a voice mail from the LBS, and the said they talked to Bianchi who talked to SRAM and they said " Oh yeah those are good go ahead and ride them ". HEY SRAM IF THEY"RE SO FOCKING SAFE QUIT LABELLING THEM NON-RIDEABLE PROTOTYPE!! I will take these off of my bike and dish out the dough for cranks that were intended to be ridden from a company who isn't too lazy to get off of thier cans, and take care of a customer service issue that could ultimately end in a costly lawsuit by allowing this type of oversight and not caring enough to to remedy it. Hey SRAM, What are my front teeth worth? My collar bone? or my life? Maybe I should just leave them on my bike. Sorry, Rant over.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Truvative/SRAM

Sounds like the LBS is the typical load of s**theads, so forget about them. Yes, they are responsible, but only in the same way that a retarded monkey would be responsible if he dropped a coconut on your car.

Keep trying at Truvative and talk to someone in OEM sales. This would probably be the guy/gal that works with Bianchi anyway. I can't believe that there isn't SOMEONE there who would be glad to fix this screw-up.

My 2 cents.

JMH

sstrav said:
I got a voice mail from the LBS, and the said they talked to Bianchi who talked to SRAM and they said " Oh yeah those are good go ahead and ride them ". HEY SRAM IF THEY"RE SO FOCKING SAFE QUIT LABELLING THEM NON-RIDEABLE PROTOTYPE!!
I will take these off of my bike and dish out the dough for cranks that were intended to be ridden from a company who isn't too lazy to get off of thier cans, and take care of a customer service issue that could ultimately end in a costly lawsuit by allowing this type of oversight and not caring enough to to remedy it. Hey SRAM, What are my front teeth worth? My collar bone? or my life? Maybe I should just leave them on my bike. Sorry, Rant over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.