Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club, (BBTC) is building a tight 2 acre mountain bike park in Seattle, and working on a proposal for a larger skills park out in the burbs. I am looking for pictures of sweet Technical Trail Features (TTF's) for ideas and to give the planners an idea of the stuff we want to build. TTF's are stunts, jumps, drops, skinnies, rollovers, rocks, etc., and can be natural or artificial. Basically any obstacle on the trail that takes skill to ride.

Got pics? Post them here.

Here's info about I-5 Open Space/Colonnde Park in Downtown Seattle.

Justin
BBTC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nitro1636 said:
whens this thing gonna be built cuz i live in sammamish and im looking for a really good place to ride where i can work on my skills so this place your building sounds perfect!
There are two separate project I'm talking about in this thread:
1. I-5 Open Space/Colonnade. Design is happening right now, and construction should start within a couple months. It will probably take about 12 months to complete construction.

2. The larger skills park in King County:

We're in the preliminary proposal stage right now, so nothing is set in stone. There's always a chance that they'll turn down our proposal, but I think our odds are good. King County is making a strong effort to reach out to "alternative" sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, climbing, etc., and they seem eager to make something happen.

This park would be a skills park with lots of technical trail features, dirt jumps, and singletrack trails. We'll have to work with the County to determine how hardcore the features can be, but they'll definitely be challenging. Maybe not too high off the ground, but that doesn't mean they have to be easy.

If all goes well BBTC can have a deal signed sometime in 2004, start work in early 2005 and spend the next 12-18 months building the park. This might sound like a long time, but in the world of government its lightning fast! The other bonus is that when we go through the process of working with governments like this we get a permanent recreational resource that isn't at risk of closure.

We're also looking for a suitable location for government approved downhill and hardcore freeride trails. Most of the downhill trails in our area are unofficial and at risk of closure. Any official trail need to be accessible by car, have at least 800 feet of elevation gain, and have good quality mineral soils that drain well (hopefully with lots of big rock). We haven't found the perfect spot, but we'll keep looking and talking to the governments and land managers. This project could take several years, but there's a lot of demand and I'm confident we'll make it happen.

I'm still looking for lots of sweet pics. I know you've got them, so show off your fine work and post 'em.

Justin

·
All show all the time
60 Posts
Check out NSMB's website, under the bulletin boards section. They have a trail building forum that usually has lots of pictures of nicely built stuff. And some pictures of some really badly built stuff, that usually gets flamed.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
hey! I'm heading up to seattle and Vancouver Island really soon, and I was wonering if there are some places near Seattle that have some intermediately difficult stunts (skinnies, bridges, drops, gaps, etc.) If you could recommend any that'd be awesome

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,755 Posts
flyingwalrus said:
hey! I'm heading up to seattle and Vancouver Island really soon, and I was wonering if there are some places near Seattle that have some intermediately difficult stunts (skinnies, bridges, drops, gaps, etc.) If you could recommend any that'd be awesome
There's not a lot of this stuff in Seattle yet, but South Seatac is a small area with a couple sweet jump lines that you'd probably like. There's about 5 lines of drops, tables, and kickers, plus a couple nice gappers. Not much in the way of structures. Its a small area and you just session it a bunch of times until you've had your fill. Give us 14 months to finish our project under the freeway and we'll have a nice little playground for you!

I've heard there's great stuff on Vancouver Island, but I've never ridden up there. Maybe swing by a local bike shop and they'll hook you up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.