Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit new to surfing this forum, and with my old electronics background, I was taken in pretty fast. I need to do more research into what you guys are doing here, however. I have an idea I'm kicking around:

I'm thinking of making something run off two 6v packs I already have that have little use. I have an old digital night owl, ca 2000. The bulb still works, but for how much longer? Was thinking of making something LED fit in the case, either powered by the stock electronics (for the staging and battery meter).

So I'm wondering if the operation with the stock electronics only as the output would work with an LED, then on top of that, what will fit that will provide good light output and runtime. Hell, I don't even know what the stock light output is at 6v.

Anyone have ideas? Also, suppliers that will ship (or are based in) to the EU, particularly Germany?

·
Registered
519 Posts
cutter electronics in australia for optics, LEDS or kits. Mark will ship to all over the world

deal extreme in HK for LEDS and some basic optics and basic drivers, and ship to most places.

ebay for battery packs

6v is a bit low for anything other than a single LED. most people are using 14.4v for 3 led systems, or 8.4v & 9.6v for double LED systems.

·
Fists of Ham
90 Posts
Pitto said:
6v is a bit low for anything other than a single LED. most people are using 14.4v for 3 led systems, or 8.4v & 9.6v for double LED systems.
Or you could use a boost driver for the led's.. either the Fatman or MaxFlex3 would be a good place to start. The maxFlex in particular is very happy driving 3xQ5/R2's on a 6v battery at anything up to 1200mA.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's aimed at being a single, simply for replacement of that bulb, hopefully a bit better output and battery life. I have two good batteries, close to 5,000mA each. It will supplement my Hope, which could eventually become a candidate for modification with a larger/more cells battery pack with a pass through battery cover for the wire.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
There are a hand full of 12V MR11 drop-in replacement bulbs that push 3W, but you have 2 problems with the NR unit - if it's the same as my old one.

1: The bulb is sealed in a plastic housing, and is not conducive to cooling an LED.

2: the digital PWM circuit is not ideal for current control circuits in the drop-in bulbs.

LED's need decent cooling to operate efficiently, so a good heat path to the outside is preferred. Halogen's are meant to be hot, so the NR housing is designed to insulate the heat of the bulb from burning your hand. LED's also need a current control circuit to keep it running properly, and the PWM controller on the NR unit would essentially be switching the power to the current controller on and off several hundred times a second.

You can still put a drop-in LED bulb and see what happens, I suspect it will work for a while, maybe a long time depending on the bulb. But if it can't cool enough, the LED life will be shortened, and at lower power setting, you'll be torture testing the current controller circuit.

You are probably better off getting a new halogen bulb, halogens are still pretty decent lights at a reasonable price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.