Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Fox Talas 32 140mm, and here's the problem: when I put 50 PSI in my fork (wich is the pressure I usually run to get a good feel and sag) the travel drops to 130mm, but if I pump it back up to about 130 PSI (wich is way to hard) it goes to 140mm.. am I the only one? is there any easy fix other than sending it to FOX?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have the 120-140 talas on my stumpy and I run it at 125. I ran my old float fork at 85-90. If it's a 2013 fork and you have a iPhone probably have it for droids as well. They have a app to help with set up. Works really good. From everything I've read and been told these forks require a higher psi then the non talus forks. Buddy has a 2014 talus and he runs his higher psi also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the problem is that there's only 130mm of my stancions that are visible when it's supposed to be 140m

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I run 110psi on my 150-120 TALAS, no issue with it not getting full travel.

·
bumbles bounce
96 Posts
125 psi here & I'm getting full travel. If I put 50psi in there I'd have way too much sag. But I'm pushing 240lbs so need to run the higher pressure anyway.

·
my church is the woods
1,066 Posts
This is due to the negative spring. It's an internal spring about 2 inches long that helps the fork move into the start of the travel, keeping it supple at prevents top-out. At higher positive PSI you are overcoming the pressure of that negative spring and compressing it more, therefor more of the upper leg is showing. Nothing wrong with your fork.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
That^ makes total sense. I'm guessing since mine is 110PSI its enough to crush the negative spring.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is due to the negative spring. It's an internal spring about 2 inches long that helps the fork move into the start of the travel, keeping it supple at prevents top-out. At higher positive PSI you are overcoming the pressure of that negative spring and compressing it more, therefor more of the upper leg is showing. Nothing wrong with your fork.
Now that, makes alot of sense! Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So is there anything I can do to get 140mm at 70 PSI?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ah, very helpful. That explains my similar issue, which I've been wondering about.
I have a 2014 34 Talas 160.
They require a bit more psi through the range -- beginning is 85 psi (125 pounds and less) all the way up to 200 psi.
For me somewhere between 100-110 psi is perfect.
But I've noticed same thing as op: At that psi I lose between 5-10 mm of exposed stanchion. If I crank up the pressure it's fully extended but not enough sag and too harsh.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I weigh 210 with gear and
Run mine at 125 and
It's perfect. If your doing the stand over and push on it test it feels very stiff. But when riding it it's just right. I have the 120-140 travel kashima talas. I have to pump mine up to damn near 100psi to get full travel. My float fork I ran between 80-90 depending on where I was riding. At that day. A Freind has the 130-160 talus fork and he runs it higher then the old forks. Everything you read will lead you back to this conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so the only thing I can do is to change my negative spring to a softer one?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Call Fox and ask them if the negative spring is something that can be changed. They've always been great with me over the phone.

Or keep the stiffer spring and start eating cheeseburgers ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aha, yeah I asked my LBS if they can send it to fox, I'm sure they can, but I don't want to take 2 weeks off my bike :/ the season just started here!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts