Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, Ive gotten 2 stories and no one REALLY knows and I cant get through to ask Trek without a account # so here goes.

I wanted to do 12 months same as cash on my bike. Well, I want to pay it off with no interest in 12 months (as long as I dont go over the time) and I will be fine.

Well, one dealer said that it was DEFERRED Interest meaning that I didnt have to make a payment at all rather in 12 months Id be repsonsible for the enitire balance PLUS the interest and thats why its deferred.

Ok, another Trek Dealer told me that was BS and to come on down, he would sell me a new bike and due 12 months same as cash, no interest what so ever, no payments. Just as long as I paid the balance in full by dec 09. No payments, no interest, no nothing owed, just the balance in 12 months.

Has anyone purchased a new trek with the 12 months same as cash method? If so, please chime in and fill me in on the correct answer. Thanks

I wish someone freaking knew.

HELP! :madman:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have 2 choices. Tell my long time trek dealer which I have purchased 5 new bikes from the hes wrong again (which we argued over it today)

or.......

Go to the dealer who told me to come on and he would to it for me 12 same as cash no interest.

This is a hard one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well something must had happened because I sent my LBS owner an email last night and he called at 9 am this morning. He said that he could do that so I ordered one! 2009 Trek ex8!

Be here on the 6th!

·
Registered
205 Posts
C_Heath said:
Well, one dealer said that it was DEFERRED Interest meaning that I didnt have to make a payment at all rather in 12 months Id be repsonsible for the enitire balance PLUS the interest and thats why its deferred.

Ok, another Trek Dealer told me that was BS and to come on down, he would sell me a new bike and due 12 months same as cash, no interest what so ever, no payments. Just as long as I paid the balance in full by dec 09. No payments, no interest, no nothing owed, just the balance in 12 months.

HELP! :madman:
It's the same thing. They just explained it to you differently. Yes, it's 12 months no interest (or "same-as-cash" as it's sometimes called). That means that you don't need to make a payment whatsoever for 12 months. If you do happen to pay it off before 12 months have passed, you're done. If you don't pay it off in 12 months, you'll still have to pay for the bike; plus all of the interest. In this case, it could be explained that the interest is "deferred" as you were told.

The bottom line is this: if you plan on paying it off in 12 months, it doesn't make any difference. The only thing we as Trek dealers can change is the term, not the interest. That goes to the credit card company.

Enjoy your EX!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've purchased 3 bikes on my Trek card and all were done on the 6 month or 12 month plan. It was no interest for that time period and, if payed off in that time period you were done with no interest to pay. If you go past that though, then you are responsible for all the interest that would have accrued during that time (at least this is my understanding). I never let that happen and so for me it was just free money. Great deal.

Also, once when it was supposed to be rung up 6 months same as cash they forgot to do it that way and I didn't realize it until my first bill came. I was actually able to call the issuer of the card and get it corrected within 10 minutes. I was shocked, I thought it would be a terrible hassle and I would get the runaround to try and get it straightened out.

Overall it's great. You don't even have to purchase a Trek bike to use it, I used it to buy a Giant a few years ago at a Trek dealer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
jason745 said:
It's the same thing. They just explained it to you differently. Yes, it's 12 months no interest (or "same-as-cash" as it's sometimes called). That means that you don't need to make a payment whatsoever for 12 months. If you do happen to pay it off before 12 months have passed, you're done. If you don't pay it off in 12 months, you'll still have to pay for the bike; plus all of the interest. In this case, it could be explained that the interest is "deferred" as you were told.

The bottom line is this: if you plan on paying it off in 12 months, it doesn't make any difference. The only thing we as Trek dealers can change is the term, not the interest. That goes to the credit card company.

Enjoy your EX!
Work at a trek dealer as well, he is 100% right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.