Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got it at a yardsale a few saturdays ago best 40 bucks i ever spent, as far as i know it's original and was well cared for. i can't remember riding a bike since i got a car in high school, i'm almost 35 now so it's been awhile. i have crashed a few times, and i dont have a maintance manual, can't get 1 from yeti.com either so i would appreciate some advise on what to do. theres a clicking sound in 1 spot as the crank goes around while peddeling, rear disk brake grinds in 1 spot while just spinning doesn't seem to be bent out of shape but i can it's boed a bit can this be flattened out? front brake sounds like a fog horn loud eeeeeeeeee but has all the stopping power as ever, and i need a few minor parts chain guard and hand grips and wider peddles.

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
Head to your local bike shop and ask for help. Buy the Zinn or Park mountain bike maintenance manuals and read up. A good relationship with a bike shop, though, will definitely keep that bike in good shape until you can do the work yourself. Congrats on buying the stolen Yeti (seriously - $40?!?) and joining the Tribe!

·
ARC Driver
257 Posts
On those AS3s usually oiling up all the povits will quiet the creaking and clicking sounds but the thing is quite old 98 - 01 I think; it would be wise to get a complete overhaul on it.

·
www.yetifan.com
722 Posts
You can still get frame rebuild parts from YETI.

http://store.yeticycles.com/store/show_results?category=54

Don't oil the bushings, they are Turcite and are supposed to run dry, a lot of MTB companies used turcite, Yeti was one of the first ARC AS in about 91. If you oil or lube the bushings they will swell and just make it worse.

sounds like you got a good deal.

Check all the bolts on the cranks, pedals, seat post, seat, and stuff before you get replacing parts.

there are a load of pics of AS-3 over at www.yetifan.com

Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jsd303 thanx for the info, yep a good repair and maintenance guide is what i need, gona google it now now and check the library. sure hope it's not hot i'd hate to see the cops take it from me and drive off with it, we got 2 bike's at the sale a bianchi strada too not the mountain bike but a purple girls bike it rides so smooth and quiet, we went back on sunday because they had other bikes and parts but just some junk left by then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yetifan thanx for the tip i just googled turcite (polytetrafluoroethylene) read a little about it and realized i have alot to learn, as kids we oiled the chain and patched flats and that was it, it's a whole new world in bikes now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts