Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

I have a Scott scale 10 from 2007 with a Truvative Noir crankset. I need some new chainrings. At the moment I have some BBB chainrings, not sure about the weight. Im changing out the rest of the drivetrain, so I need some new chainrings.

What will fit my crankset? Its a 4-arm crankset, is there a standard size?

They need to be durable and as light as possible (lighter than my old chainrings).

I will use a dura-ace cassett 12-27, kmc X9 sl gold chain, XO rear derailleur , and XTR front.

I was wondering about FRM chainrings and maybe Middelburn.

Some good tips would be much appreciated!

Merry christmas!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Robin said:
Hi again,

I have a Scott scale 10 from 2007 with a Truvative Noir crankset. I need some new chainrings. At the moment I have some BBB chainrings, not sure about the weight. Im changing out the rest of the drivetrain, so I need some new chainrings.

What will fit my crankset? Its a 4-arm crankset, is there a standard size?

They need to be durable and as light as possible (lighter than my old chainrings).

I will use a dura-ace cassett 12-27, kmc X9 sl gold chain, XO rear derailleur , and XTR front.

I was wondering about FRM chainrings and maybe Middelburn.

Some good tips would be much appreciated!

Merry christmas!
the size of the BCD you need is:
64 / 104mm

Your standard rings will probably weigh around 160-180g.Add another 30g for steel chainring bolts. So swapping rings and bolts can save quite a bit of weight....

FRM and Extralite are some of the lightest.

I just look at your gearing with the roadie cassette and wondered if it might not be better using a 2x9 setup. Me too i used 12-27 cassettes for several years but you need a lot of front shifts as the gear spread isn't really wide enough. I'd really look into a double setup up front with smaller rings. It seems you really don't have any steep hills to conquer so a 27t granny ring might be all you need. And on top speed? Do you really need the 44-11 ? if not you could as well go smaller on the big ring. This will bring all gears closer together...pretty similar to what you have now with the closer spaced roadie cassette.

Anyway - FRM also offers 2x9 conversions which mount on regular triple cranksets but use the inner two positions only. So basically the outer chainring positions is empty - the big ring sits on the middle position.

See those combos below as well as some Extralite rings. FRM and Extralite are well known to offer the lightest and very good performing rings.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Jake Pay said:

Chainrings: 131g.
oh-then they're lighter than i had thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts