Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...so I have a tractor to move the dirt around once it shows up. I've got 1/2 acre set aside to build on.

But I need the dirt. So what's the best way about getting it? I threw and add on craigslist and put up a flier at a local country store. Any other ideas?:thumbsup:
 

·
Urban Ninja
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Generally construction companies try to sell the dirt and there are even dirt brokers out there. But sometimes if they haven't found a buyer within their construction time line then they give it away. I'll keep you in mind and let you know if something comes across my desk. But you will have to let me ride the track for free:p Where might I ask would this dirt be going?
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeng said:
Generally construction companies try to sell the dirt and there are even dirt brokers out there. But sometimes if they haven't found a buyer within their construction time line then they give it away. I'll keep you in mind and let you know if something comes across my desk. But you will have to let me ride the track for free:p Where might I ask would this dirt be going?
pm sent jeng.
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jeng said:
I got a lead on some free dirt in Benecia. Can you truck it? Not sure if they will or not. I left a message for the super. I'm gonna try and get them to deliver but not sure if that will work for them.
Dang man, way to get on it!

I've got a Tundra which can haul only 3/4 yard....I'd rather not have to make that drive a bunch of time obviously.
Thanks for jumping in man.

BTW: You ever built a P-track? Wanna start? hehe:thumbsup:
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Hey Myke,

Before you jump (pun intended) too far into this. Make sure you are not violationg any permits or statutes by importing over X amount of cu. yds of dirt. Most jurasdictions do limit the amount of soil that can be imported or exported from a property before needing a permit to keep folks from doing unpermitted improvements.(Development).
 

·
Urban Ninja
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Internal14 said:
Dang man, way to get on it!

I've got a Tundra which can haul only 3/4 yard....I'd rather not have to make that drive a bunch of time obviously.
Thanks for jumping in man.

BTW: You ever built a P-track? Wanna start? hehe:thumbsup:
Okay, they have between 20-25 yards at the Benecia site they think they need to get rid of. The super just sent and email to the concrete guy who's responsibility it is to get ride of the dirt. If he doesn't get back to me today I'll call back on Monday. I told them we need it trucked to your house. 30 trips in the Tundra won't work;) You think that'll be enough. I'm thinkin you need more like 50-70 yards for a really good track. It's a start at least. Funny how things work out...

I got about half way on a pump track once using only a shovel. I think I spent about 10 hours on only one of the berms. We finally gave up and just built a couple sweet doubles. Tractor is the only way to go. I'll help since the track would be so close to my house. I can bring some recruits along with me.
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jeng said:
Okay, they have between 20-25 yards at the Benecia site they think they need to get rid of. The super just sent and email to the concrete guy who's responsibility it is to get ride of the dirt. If he doesn't get back to me today I'll call back on Monday. I told them we need it trucked to your house. 30 trips in the Tundra won't work;) You think that'll be enough. I'm thinkin you need more like 50-70 yards for a really good track. It's a start at least. Funny how things work out...

I got about half way on a pump track once using only a shovel. I think I spent about 10 hours on only one of the berms. We finally gave up and just built a couple sweet doubles. Tractor is the only way to go. I'll help since the track would be so close to my house. I can bring some recruits along with me.
Ohh man, I don't think I want any more than a few yards man. It's not like it's sitting on a concrete floor or anything. I'm also hoping to keep it in a 50' x 50' area, so nothing colassal.
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ciclistagonzo said:
Hey Myke,

Before you jump (pun intended) too far into this. Make sure you are not violationg any permits or statutes by importing over X amount of cu. yds of dirt. Most jurasdictions do limit the amount of soil that can be imported or exported from a property before needing a permit to keep folks from doing unpermitted improvements.(Development).
Dude if I turned my neighbors in for all the stuff they got going on, then I'd be worried about them coming at me.
But this is the country where we live by the saying, "Fences make good neighbors...and taller fences make great neighbors." hahaha...no not really...we're all pretty close out there. I've built a few out-buildings and they are always nosing around asking if I'll help them out with some project of their own.
My one(of two) neighbors I'm doing some tractor work for, so live and let live, they 'owe' me.;)

Thanks for looking out for me though! If I was in city limits or had hatred neighbors, I'd be worried. Luckily I don't.:thumbsup:
 

·
Urban Ninja
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Hey Myke,

Before you jump (pun intended) too far into this. Make sure you are not violationg any permits or statutes by importing over X amount of cu. yds of dirt. Most jurasdictions do limit the amount of soil that can be imported or exported from a property before needing a permit to keep folks from doing unpermitted improvements.(Development).
Really good point. I would suggest calling the county you're in (anonymously), I'm assuming that you're in the county and not city limits, and tell them you want to bring in some dirt to create some landscaping features to your property no taller than a few feet and see what they say. If your approach is to ask for forgiveness rather than permission since the likely hood of the county coming down on you may be remote, you should at least research the ramifications of what could happen to you. Perhaps you've already done this though.
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeng said:
Really good point. I would suggest calling the county you're in (anonymously), I'm assuming that you're in the county and not city limits, and tell them you want to bring in some dirt to create some landscaping features to your property no taller than a few feet and see what they say. If your approach is to ask for forgiveness rather than permission since the likely hood of the county coming down on you may be remote, you should at least research the ramifications of what could happen to you. Perhaps you've already done this though.
Yeah, I asked my neighbors to the north this past summer as they were having a bunch of major reshaping done to the land in front of their property and they mentioned some amount they had to stay below, but I can't remember what it was. I'm sure it was more than 5yrds though...but yeah an anonymous call wouldn't hurt to know for sure.:thumbsup:
 

·
Urban Ninja
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Internal14 said:
Ohh man, I don't think I want any more than a few yards man. It's not like it's sitting on a concrete floor or anything. I'm also hoping to keep it in a 50' x 50' area, so nothing colassal.
A few yards? Really? I would think one good berm would be at least a couple yards. Here's a calculator to try to get an idea:
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.06/debbie1.html
So, how much do you want?
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeng said:
A few yards? Really? I would think one good berm would be at least a couple yards. Here's a calculator to try to get an idea:
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.06/debbie1.html
So, how much do you want?
Dang...had to get a handle on how much I'll really need. I mean I'm not building Crankworks here man, just a small fun pump track.

I wish I knew someone who had already gone through this process...
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Internal14 said:
Yeah, I asked my neighbors to the north this past summer as they were having a bunch of major reshaping done to the land in front of their property and they mentioned some amount they had to stay below, but I can't remember what it was. I'm sure it was more than 5yrds though...but yeah an anonymous call wouldn't hurt to know for sure.:thumbsup:
A quick call netted me some info and some chapters and number to look up.

Looks like keeping it under 50yrds as long as the drainage doesn't cause issues off my own property, which it won't it's flat, and far away from the fence line, will keep it legal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
49 yards in Sonoma county. If you need more than that, just get 2 shipments at different dates, and keep the receipt for the second @ 49.

Sneaky sneaky
 

·
Urban Ninja
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Internal14 said:
Dang...had to get a handle on how much I'll really need. I mean I'm not building Crankworks here man, just a small fun pump track.

I wish I knew someone who had already gone through this process...
Dirt spreads pretty fast. Using that calculator lets do a guestimation here. If we're dealing with a 50 by 50 area you could conceivably have 500 feet of track. We're gonna start smaller than that so let's say 200 feet of track that is 3 feet wide and lets use an average depth of 1 foot. If you calculate that out it comes to 22 yards so I think this might be the right amount. I bounced this number off a friend of mine who is in construction and is a mtber and he thinks this is a good number and he wants to come help also. I'll pm you my phone number and lets discuss.
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top