Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me turn this 23lb fattie into a sub-20lb svelte beauty, or else it's breakup time:

FRAME: 19.5" Custom Litespeed Lookout Mountain, disc specific, custom downtube (3.4 lbs)
FORK: Fox Float 100RLC with lockout
WHEELS: Chris King ISO Disc Hubs, Mavic X317, 14/15 spokes
DERAILLEUR: Front XTR, Rear SRAM X-0
SHIFTERS: SRAM X-0 Twist Shifters
BRAKES: Shimano XT Hydraulic discs
SEATPOST: Thompson Elite
STEM: Thompson
BARS: Easton Monkey Lite Riser, carbon fiber
HEADSET: Chris King
SEAT: WTB SST98 Titanium rails w/ cutout
SKEWERS: Salsa Flipoffs
CABLES: AVID flakjackets, Jagwire Kevlar

Actually, I am fed up with it. $6k invested and >22 lbs with slicks . I want to sell it and start over. Too many mistakes with this build (frame choice, fork, brakes, cranks, wheelset). Suggestions anyone before I dump it? I just listed it on the classifieds.
yahoojess-1 at yahoo dot com

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
just plain sad

dude you are f-ing crazy. Dump a 22 lb. litespeed b/c its not under 20 lbs.? god. some people. look at your parts list. that is a sweet build in anyones book. I would be extemeley happy to have a 22 lb. hardtail myself. mine's sitting pretty at 24.5, and yeah, I wish it was lighter, but its easy enough to pick up for hike-a-bikes and the like. So, me I would quit whining that you have such a crappy bike when I'm sure almost anyone on this board would love a bike like that.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
crazy

Why would you want to dump your 22lbs bike? You have great setup. I wish that I could reduce the weight of my FS to 24lbs. My bike now weighs at 27lbs. You have a light bike. You should enjoy it instead of worrying about weight reduction.

·
Banned
107 Posts
dude look at your build?

i'm no weight weenie but my titus racer x is right at 23.5 Lbs so with some minor tweaks you too can reach your bike weight goal with out doing crazy stuff

get you a Rock Shox SID fork, some magura marta brakes, a selle italia SLR or Flite TT seat, a FSA carbon straight bar, a ritchey WCS stem and post and finally dump the heavy ass cables go with some maxxis ignitor 26x1.95 tires and stans no tubes and you'll easily hit your weight mark while your at it check into some lighter cranks and BB set up.

it's been over a year since i sold my last HT and this rig came in at 20.8 lbs with out any silly ass weight weenie stuff just think out ahead what your trying to do are you trying to build up a nice lite race rig or a hearty trail bike ?

·
Registered
432 Posts
you should be happy to have that bike. if i were you i would go with stans like the trail nazi sasys, get some marta sl's. perhaps with the new stans rotor and some ti bolts, then get a sid or fox f80rlt(you choose if you want a dependable fork or not) and some light tires. you should be happy to have that bike, and i think you could get to 21 lbs or lower

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,012 Posts
Stem, seatpost, seat, pedals, brakes. If you drop that kind of money on a bike I assume you can afford some top notch parts. You should not have much of a problem lowering the weight. I dont know about sub 20 w/o some serious money though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
tingj said:
Help me turn this 23lb fattie into a sub-20lb svelte beauty
Are you for real???
Are you that good a rider that you need to drop such a small amount of weight?

I don't get it, you have a kickass bike but still it isn't good enough for you.
Why didn't you think more carefully about which components you would buy in the first place? :confused:
Or are you here just to show off??

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
um.... wow. $6k for that? someone has more money than shopping savvy. nothing on there is over the top money wise other than the custom frame. is it the ride quality you dislike, or JUST the weight? if it's the actual ride you dislike, then you wasted your money on that fine custom frame. go ride it. if the extra 2 pounds is jut too much weight, so much that you'd rather get rid of it, you need to just go ride it. a bit more ride time, and that 2 pounds won't feel as heavy......

lighter stem, bars, post right off the start. brakes as well. much lighter stuff now than XT 4-pots. bolt on skewers instead of QR. SLR saddle. throw some ti and alloy bolts at it here and there. cassette? i'm assuming that is an XTR. if not, swap to one, or at least get an after market alloy cassette lockring.

all that will help quite abit.

beautiful bike; i'd break it, but it's still a very nice ride!

can you elaborate more about why you are not happy with it?

·
chainpain
87 Posts
You can get HT frames that are a pound lighter, scott scale carbon, simplon gravity etc.

Your fork is not a lightweight fork. 1/2 a pound shaved off with a regular SID race. Or even better, pace carbon rigid fork.

Your XT hydraulic brakes are heavy. Like the bike Nazi said, the maggies are the lighter, or formula B4+

The RaceFace crankset is neither the lightest or stiffest. A really light crankset would shave off considerable weight, like Storck powerarms or Tune bigfoot.

The Thomson stem is not the lightest. Benchmark is Syntace F99. Also pretty lightweight are Tune Geiles Teil or the new X4 from thomson.

The Seat is a boat anchor. The lightest would be a carbon version.

There are lighter hubs than the CK set.

Now, if your goal is purely lightweight, as light as it gets, you need to start all over again, if you want a bike that can be ridden in a couple of races and then spend the rest of its days on the wall or on a scale for showing off. You should also drop the discbrakes.

Otherwise, you have chosen components which in my opinion comes close to the optimum of versatility. Race/Training- no problem. It looks damn good as well. If I would have done anything at all, it would have been swapping the crankset to get another color ;) And what are the slicks doing on a mountain bike?

·
Banned
107 Posts
after some reflection and reading the posts of others i'm curious about why you chose what you did for components on your litespeed? i'm not seeing where the $6000 went you said you spent on this bike.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,533 Posts
The Trail Nazi said:
i'm not seeing where the $6000 went you said you spent on this bike.
agreed. would have to pay full retail + un-needed labor + high taxes, plus buy the beer to get the price up to that level. Looks like about 3500 -4000 to me for a saavy buyer.

This thread is a spam thread (my favorite).

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmmm - that`s a nice bike, but it looks like you don`t ride it off road. Was the frame built "custom" to use with the 100mm of front travel? Perhaps that`s why you don`t like it? Handles poorly? Or maybe it handles poorly for you with slick tires? And you are stuck with disc brakes with no canti bosses. Are those wire bead tires? Heavy! As others have said, there`s plently you can purchase to get the weight down.

Sid fork, Kenda Klimax or Maxxis flyweight tubes and tires (they are MTB tires BTW), SLR or Aspide saddle, Syntace stem, Extralite seatpost, bolt on QR`s, Titec pork rind grips and if you can find them - Tune cable housing. Most of this can be found on ebay. That`ll put you closer to your goal right there.

·
Trying to find Flow
3,407 Posts
If you want some advice here it would help if we actually knew what your goals were. By nature for the fact that you invested $6k on a custom build and are now not happy with it suggests that you don't really know what you want, either. Do you race? Is your goal to go faster, with more comfort and control? Do you actually ride? Or is your goal to just have a "light bike"? If you want to spend another $6k on a bike that's weight weenie certifiable, then go nuts, it's your money. But doing so will make you slower, with less control, and riding your bike won't be as fun.

In my years of riding, I've reached the conclusion that a bike can be too light. Yes, it's true! Blasphemy!! A stiff framed hardtail with mediocre suspension is much more hard to control and go fast down technical trails. It's actually a liability in races where the course isn't perfectly manicured. Nino stated himself that he barely needs suspension. The types of trails he rides are smooth hardpack. The rest of us experience rocks, baby heads, ruts and other obstacles and we tend to go on long rides on weekends. I have a sub 20 lb. hardtail that I was really proud of...then I got a "heavy" steel framed singlespeed with a Fox fork and now that hardtail sits in the garage except for race day. And when I do take it out I wonder how I was ever able to ride that thing down Rock It, Lynx or Rattlesnack. It's miserable!!

Personally, I think you've got an awesome foundation for the perfect trail bike for all day riding AND a lightweight race bike. That ti frame will be much better at negotiating challenging technical or rough sections than a Scott carbon or scandium bike, it's designed around the 100mm geometry of the Fox, which gives you much more control and confidence. A friend of mine is buddies with some editor from Bike Magazine and scored a Scale to ride for a while. I got the opportunity to ride it around a little too. Felt nice in the parking lot, and climbs fireroads awesome, but as soon as the baby heads make their appearance, the rigid frame and that Godforsaken SID started pinballing all over the place. Appreciate the what you have and realize that going with an ultra lightweight bike is going to involve major compromises.

You could easily get that bike down around 21 lbs. Swap out the stem for a Syntace, go Marta SLs, keep the wheelset, but have a lightweight Am Classic MTB 350 or custom wheelset with Stan's Olympic rims and CX-Ray spokes built up. You can use the CK's for general trail duty and use the custom set for races. Have aluminum rotors and a Dura Ace 12-27 cassette installed on your light wheels and you've built the ultimate lightweight AND trailworthy rig.

If you want the lightest bike possible, just go along with the suggestions of the other Nino acolytes here and get the obligatory Scott hardtail, with the Storck Powerarms....blah, blah. You can weigh it and re-weigh it, lift it up, "ooh" and "aaahh" over how light it is, impress little old ladies who discover how light it feels. Just don't ride it anywhere for real.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,675 Posts
tingj said:
Help me turn this 23lb fattie into a sub-20lb svelte beauty, or else it's breakup time:

FRAME: 19.5" Custom Litespeed Lookout Mountain, disc specific, custom downtube (3.4 lbs)
Although I love the Stem and Post you could dump them for something lighter. The disk brakes also weigh a reasonable amount. Dump them for something lighter along with that Heavy Saddle.

Get an SLR, Marta SLs and then something along the lines Use Ti post and then say an FSA stem. That will shed some weight. Whilst you're at it, dump the cranks for a lighter option, perhaps go 2x9 with a 30T ring... FSA Carbon pros will be lighter. I think the rings are quite heavy on your current cranks.

·
On your left.
1,192 Posts
what you need is Microsoft Excel

List the weights of all your components and compare to other options, then start buying new parts in order of what will save the most weight.

If the frame is custom fitted and you think you will go faster with an 1lb lighter aluminum bike off the rack, well, you are wrong. Proper position is in the top 3 of most important things to make you go fast (other than fitness of course!). The other 2 are aerodynamics and rolling resistance. Then I'd say wheel rotational inertia, and weight.

tingj said:

Actually, I am fed up with it. $6k invested and >22 lbs with slicks . I want to sell it and start over. Too many mistakes with this build (frame choice, fork, brakes, cranks, wheelset). Suggestions anyone before I dump it? I just listed it on the classifieds.
yahoojess-1 at yahoo dot com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.