Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold on Specialized bikes earlier but I lost all of my bids on Ebay so I decided to go with something with a warranty. I ran across Motobecane bikes with a great price.. 2007s even. My problem is that I'm a total newb when it comes to parts and quality etc. and I can't just look at the prices to determine the differences.
One is the 2007 Motobecane Fantom Elite ( http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_elite.htm ), another is the 2007 Motobecane Fantom Comp DS ( http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cds07RRLOCK.htm ). One obviously is DS and one is hard tail I guess with front suspension. Both are very similar in price.
Then there's always the ( http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_eds.htm ) Motobecane
Fantom EliteDS.

I'm assuming that they will pretty much go in order of price, but the Fantom Comp DS is listed as higher than the Fantom Elite, but is selling at a lower price.

Can anyone help me quickly before Monday? I'd very much appreciate the info. Thank you very much.
Bhaltair

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I don't know how much you want to spend but a really nice bike is the Ibex Atlas Sport. I would have no hesitation recommending it to a friend. It has great components and can be had at several levels. Ibex has a manufacturer's forum on Mtb Review. Go there and see what the guys say.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well unfortunately that does not even come close to answering the question about rating these components vs. each other. You just injected another bike to compare without comparing it! :)
I know Ibex is a great brand, but I don't know how it actually compares to any other.
For this same reason, I pretty much asked how the Motobecane rates with others. I know Motobecane's been in business for what... 80 years?
That's like picking Fujitsu over HP because they've made tablet pcs for over 10 years whereas HP is still learning - and believe me, there's a difference!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Bhaltair said:
I swear - some of you guys must own Ibex stock. Look at that bike's suspension... looks like crap.
Do you ride that??
Here is a highly respected bike with very similar type suspension to the Ibex atlas. You really have an attitude!

Ronnie.

·
Banned
240 Posts
I don't see how the Ibex Atlas' suspension is crap.. maybe you don't like the looks? Eh.

To answer your question, I really don't know.

Here's what I do know:

- A lot (not all) of Ibex owners don't trust the components on those 2 Motobecane bikes besides the derailluer/fork/suspension

- Becane23 (who likes Motobecane, has exp. with them) says the 2 bikes are great and a steal

Sorry I haven't spent enough time on forums to gather up info whether they're better/worse/good or not.

·
Banned
462 Posts
MrKalentine said:
I don't see how the Ibex Atlas' suspension is crap.. maybe you don't like the looks? Eh.

To answer your question, I really don't know.

Here's what I do know:

- A lot (not all) of Ibex owners don't trust the components on those 2 Motobecane bikes besides the derailluer/fork/suspension

- Becane23 (who likes Motobecane, has exp. with them) says the 2 bikes are great and a steal

Sorry I haven't spent enough time on forums to gather up info whether they're better/worse/good or not.
Please don't speak for me. :nono:

er it's becane73, and I never said Ibex was great or that I liked Motobecane... I like my Stumpjumper and I liked my Moto 600HT, but that by no means does it make me a Specialized or Motobecane fan. Let's just say I'm open to all brands.

As for my opinion on Ibex, I think they have potential to be an good value based on what I've seen and heard, but how can I like something I never rode? I also I think great deals abound and one shouldn't focus solely on Ibex or Motobecane as a source for a great deal.
RScycles, Performance bikes, and many local bikeshops have great deals on brand names, it's just harder to point them out.

If it were up to me, I would rather get a good deal on a brand name than a Motobecane or Ibex because when it comes time to swap out the frame I know I will have buyers if I had say a Specialized, Trek, or Cannondale and I personally I feel riding a product that has some credibility is worth a little extra money.

For the record I would never buy an Ibex.

And what's not to trust about Motobecane components? Components are components can you tell me the difference if they're on a Motobecane, Ibex, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized bike?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Trying to help

I am a newbie to the forums, but I have spent a lot of time really trying to understand the differences in bike components - I am not an expert - there are others out there with much more experience. However, I have been riding a Motobecane 700HT for the past year and my road bike is a Trek 2100 Triple. And, I have just purchased an IBEX Trophy Comp X7.

First of all let me say - if you can spend $2K to 5K, then I don't think you need anyone's advice. Here's my layman's view of what to look for and how to analyze "limited budget" choices. There are really Five things that you must compare because subtle differences can drastically change the total price.

1. Fork and/or rear suspension (the cost of replacing this is big so it's really important)
2. Shifters and Derailleurs (stay away from entry level components)
3. Crankset (stay away from entry level components)
4. Brakes (make sure these are good components)
5. Frame (for me, I assume that in the entry level arena - they pretty much are the same)

I use the Motobecane and IBEX sites as an educational tool to determine the different levels of components. I look at the component names, then I go to the product reviews on MTBR and I see what the relative rankings and reviews have to say. I also look at the manufacturer's websites to see how they classify the components.

Here's my quick analysis of your choices: Fantom Elite - good fork, good shifters, good crankset, OK brakes; Fantom Elite DS - OK fork, good shifters, Cheaper crankset, OK brakes. The difference in original MSRP is probably the lighter frame on the DS, but it's offset by the cheaper components. Of course your third choice is more money for a reason and is not fair comparison.

Happy riding - that's really what's it's all about!:)

·
Banned
240 Posts
Becane73 said:
Please don't speak for me. :nono:

er it's becane73, and I never said Ibex was great or that I liked Motobecane... I like my Stumpjumper and I liked my Moto 600HT, but that by no means does it make me a Specialized or Motobecane fan. Let's just say I'm open to all brands.

As for my opinion on Ibex, I think they have potential to be an good value based on what I've seen and heard, but how can I like something I never rode? I also I think great deals abound and one shouldn't focus solely on Ibex or Motobecane as a source for a great deal.
RScycles, Performance bikes, and many local bikeshops have great deals on brand names, it's just harder to point them out.

If it were up to me, I would rather get a good deal on a brand name than a Motobecane or Ibex because when it comes time to swap out the frame I know I will have buyers if I had say a Specialized, Trek, or Cannondale and I personally I feel riding a product that has some credibility is worth a little extra money.

For the record I would never buy an Ibex.

And what's not to trust about Motobecane components? Components are components can you tell me the difference if they're on a Motobecane, Ibex, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized bike?
Sorry, but you REALLY don't need to be defensive. I simply said you liked motobecane bikes. That's all. I didn't even make a connection between you or Ibex.

Motobecane73 2 weeks ago said:
I like my Motobecane and Specialized...
More on topic:

It wasn't that the components were bad themselves, it's just that I've been "brainwashed" into thinking that the quality of components are uneven on SOME Motobecane bicycles, which was I was originally talking about.

The time stamp I'm guessing is what says that this was posted 5 days ago.. the OP posted just 20'ish hours ago again.

And, he needed help by Monday.

Bhaltair can you tell us what bike you bought? Or still undecided?

P.S.

I was originally talking to Becane23, my imaginary friend, not really directly to Becane73:D

EDIT: I just found out that Bhaltair bought a rockhopper or some hardtail of sort. I guess this thread should've died. Sorry for reviving it >_>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.